1.    #1  
    I find myself going into secure locations as part of my job (Commercial and Government). I am tired of leaving the device with the Security Guards and missing my messages and calls. I need to disable the camera feature of the Treo 650 in some way. Is there a way to disable it and then with some modification after the fact, enable it again? I am thinking that FileZ should provide a one-way disabling of the camera program in ROM by deleting it or renaming it. But is there a way to switch between working and disabled? I have seen a recommendation for a product called “McamLock” as well, which allows me to enter a time for the camera not to work. Is this enough? Thoughts please.
    Most secure locations are not going to trust to software (easily manipulated) to address a security concern like a camera phone. You can get a 650 without the camera. I have Sprint and dont have your security issues, but my brother actually faces this on a regular basis and owns 2 Treos, 1 with and 1 without and switches his sim card between them.
    Sounds like you are looking for an individual solution, however, Good Mobile Defense allows administrators to disable portions of the device and applications in policy groups.

On a side note, how would a security guard know your camera is disabled and what is to stop you from enabling it once you get past the checkpoint? Just playing security guard devil's advocate.
    You will have to get the 650 that comes without a camera. Even if you open the phone and show them that somehow you have disabled the camera, they will not let you in with it. I just leave mine with security.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I'd suggest a two pronged solution:

1. "Correct-o-type" or "white out" over the lens.
    2. A 320 x 320 Photoshop job for wallpaper that says "Camera Disabled"
    A 320 x 320 Photoshop job for wallpaper that says "Camera Disabled"
    LOL! If that works, you have no security.
    All it does is show the security peeps that you have covered the camera lens and with the lens covered with "white-out" you ain't taking any pictures. You could also cover the lense with a generic e-grip and they'll never know it has a camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClanCian
    I find myself going into secure locations as part of my job (Commercial and Government). I am tired of leaving the device with the Security Guards and missing my messages and calls. I need to disable the camera feature of the Treo 650 in some way. Is there a way to disable it and then with some modification after the fact, enable it again? I am thinking that FileZ should provide a one-way disabling of the camera program in ROM by deleting it or renaming it. But is there a way to switch between working and disabled? I have seen a recommendation for a product called “McamLock” as well, which allows me to enter a time for the camera not to work. Is this enough? Thoughts please.
    I am an attorney who has had good fortune with mCamLock from:

http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?mcampe

Download the trial version and show it and the documentation to security.
    It's worked for me. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDave
    I am an attorney who has had good fortune with mCamLock from:

http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?mcampe

Download the trial version and show it and the documentation to security.
    It's worked for me. YMMV.
    That's Awsome! Exactly what I was looking for.
    Some of the other apps on the website look interesting too.
    Anyone else use any of the others?
  10.    #10  
    I have heard good things about this app as well, but as others have commented on in the orginal thread, people don't trust software. Good point about providing the documentation. It may be the way to go. I need to think through it a bit more. I know that a number of our corporate Treos, before the cameraless ones, had the camera program removed by our technical folks and they would simply hand the phone to the security guard and say - take my picture then! And it works more times than not. I am still going to hunt around for a procedure that can remove the cameraloader_cmlo application from ROM and then be able to restore it again maybe from the memory card. I am still trying to get my arms around this whole ROM matter and I am RTFM. LOL. Thanks.