Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Unconfirmed rumor taken from a PALM stock message board - wish list or fact?:

Major Firmware update coming for the Treo 650. (codename lowtide) It should be released shortly after Sprint starts selling the 700P. (This will be done to keep the Treo 650 platform competive)

This firmware will include:
    - New application: "Get Blackberry Connect" to ease installation and configuration of BBConnect clients.
    - New application: "Get MobiTV" (This is a Cingular only customization).
    - FAT32 support (Allows use of the new 4GB SD cards)
    - Updated Bluetooth support. (New handsfree devices)
    - Pockettunes will replace Realplayer
    - WiFi drivers for Palm's WiFi card
    - Will add Drive Mode support (Allows your device to function as a USB SD card reader.)
    - Will free up usable memory by compressing the ROM image
    - Blazer update to support additional fonts
    - Will add Palm's file explorer
    - Launcher updates. Will add new memory management features in order to increase the efficiency and improve the useability of running applications off of an expansion card
    - Firmware update will also enable future "over the air" firmware updates.
    - Updated AddIT client to support buying and installing third party application software over the built in wireless data link.
    Last edited by weisshb; 04/17/2006 at 03:16 PM.
    SWEET... 4gb SD compatibility... POCKET TUNES!!

UH, well at least for us NON sprint users who WON'T have a 700p anytime soon... lol
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    sounds like a wish list to me
    Treoing & Loving it
    I think this is more likely a wishlist made by some users.

1) ROM image has been compressed for all previous releases. So this is not an improvement at all.

2) FAT32, more BT devices support, Blazer update are quite possible

3) Launcher update, File explorer and Drive Mode are also possible. But I doubt if Palm is willing to add those.

4) WiFi drivers? Does this thing exist? I guess we will have to wait for the OS 6.

5) I don't think Palm will replace Realplayer. They will never do this for an "old" product.

6) OTA firmware update? I'm pretty sure that if Palm officicially support this, a lot of the Treo users will screw-up their handset by using it. That will be a huge increase in the support cost.
    While I am in the "cold be a wishlist" kinda mode, the updates make sense in terms of carrier support issues. To release this kind of update after a 700p release makes it a lot easier on CSRs to know only one phone software, instead of the minute difference between two of them.

Personally, if this update comes without the newly developed ROM tool, Palm could have another user issue on their hands.

IMO, Blazer needs an update in teh worst way, and not that fast mode stuff that we have seen, but some real CSS and Javascript (even if slightly reduced) support.

OTA would be smart, at least for the way Sprint likes to relase PRL updates. To be able to do anything not named a major ROM update would be a good OTA item.

Of course, this flies in the face of the possible big update that seemed only a Sprint update for 911/EGPS compatability. And the people I "know" who have stated that GSM Treos will see no more updates. Kinda interesting if you ask me now ain't it.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    okay, i'm waiting.
    but frankly speaking i find this wonderful message hard to believe. palm is probably spending more of its innovative energy for future treos.
    in case palm helps us keep our present treos for longer and improve its functionality to enable us to do so, i'll be pleasantly surprised.
    TGTBT

(too good to be true)
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Maybe in developing the 700P they are finding out how to do all these things so it may not actually be taking away resources and maybe someone high enough up the ladder thinks it might be a good idea to issue a 650 update.

Two maybes make me a little skeptical though.
    Today is April 17th, so please don't post April 1st jokes anymore.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb
    Unconfirmed rumor taken from a PALM stock message board - wish list or fact?:

Major Firmware update coming for the Treo 650. (codename lowtide) It should be released shortly after Sprint starts selling the 700P. (This will be done to keep the Treo 650 platform competive)

This firmware will include:
    - New application: "Get Blackberry Connect" to ease installation and configuration of BBConnect clients.
    - New application: "Get MobiTV" (This is a Cingular only customization).
    - FAT32 support (Allows use of the new 4GB SD cards)
    - Updated Bluetooth support. (New handsfree devices)
    - Pockettunes will replace Realplayer
    - WiFi drivers for Palm's WiFi card
    - Will add Drive Mode support (Allows your device to function as a USB SD card reader.)
    - Will free up usable memory by compressing the ROM image
    - Blazer update to support additional fonts
    - Will add Palm's file explorer
    - Launcher updates. Will add new memory management features in order to increase the efficiency and improve the useability of running applications off of an expansion card
    - Firmware update will also enable future "over the air" firmware updates.
    - Updated AddIT client to support buying and installing third party application software over the built in wireless data link.
    All is plausible except for inclusive commerical software such as "Pockettunes will replace Realplayer". A deal was put together between Palm and Real Networks to include RealPlayer for customers. For an update to include a commercial software application such as Pocket Tunes it would require either the carrier or Palm to pay a nominal fee to the developer of the third party software.

Regarding "New Application: MobiTV (This is a Cingular only customization)" seems likely though other carriers such as Rogers Wireless provide MobiTV service though not all yet support the Palm Treo. I contacted Rogers Wireless Support regarding MobiTV for smartphones they sell such as the Treo 650 and was informed they are working to provide MobiTV to their Treo customers soon. This will not be part of an update as at least with Rogers Wireless they provide the service seperately, including download of the MobiTV software.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 04/17/2006 at 05:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    All is plausible except for inclusive commerical software such as "Pockettunes will replace Realplayer". A deal was put together between Palm and Real Networks to include RealPlayer for customers. For an update to include a commercial software application such as Pocket Tunes it would require either the carrier or Palm to pay a nominal fee to the developer of the third party software.
    I don't see this as implausible. Don't all Life Drives come with PT basic?
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    My professional opinion (based on all the crap on Yahoo stock messages boards): fat chance.

Until the Chinese version of this ROM comes out, I'll stick with what I have...
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman
    I don't see this as implausible. Don't all Life Drives come with PT basic?
    Yes it does but you're referring to a completely different device. What makes you think Palm or even your carrier would provide third party commercial software in a free firmware update for the Treo 650? After all they would have more incentive to do this with the Treo 700P so as to provide one more incentive for customers to purchase that device, thus increasing revenue for Palm and carriers. While it would be a nice gesture I doubt this will happen in this update.
    this would be great if it were true, but i think not.since i am with sprint i will be getting a 700p asap so either way it will mean nothing to me.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    There is already minimal reason to pay $400-500 to upgrade to the 700. Why would they muddy the waters by narrowing the gap. Many of these features might me the reason for some to upgrade.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onnow
    4) WiFi drivers? Does this thing exist? I guess we will have to wait for the OS 6.
    I was at the UK launch of the Treo 650 and can still remember the Palm bloke positively insisting that the Wi-Fi drivers would be 'ready and available' on the Palm website 'as soon as the Treo was fully launched.'

Looks like it must be the slowest product launch in history, then!

Quote Originally Posted by jinx
    ...clip... palm is probably spending more of its innovative energy for future treos.
    in case palm helps us keep our present treos for longer and improve its functionality to enable us to do so, i'll be pleasantly surprised.
    I agree, I figure Palm wants us to dump our money into the 700p.
    Not Prolong our need to upgrade to something better, by making our 650 last longer.
    Just call me Berd.
    While I am with those that say that Palm doing all of these is not a smart thing, one has to understand that if the carrier said that they want fewer support issues, then Palm will mply to keep them happy. It isn't like we are the customers. And if you think about it offereing an upgrade to 650 users does help Sprint

dang wirelesss keboard posted that before I was done....

if the carriers want to sell streaming audio to all ye 650 owners then this kind of an upgrade makes a lot of sense.

Not gonna happen.. Sounds nice though.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast