Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    All I know is, if this were true I'd be (re)buying a Treo 650 the day such an update is released. After using Blazer on my Palm TX with Wi-Fi, I realized that the bottleneck for performance on the 650 is not Blazer itself--slow as it is--but the data throughput. I refuse to spend $45 on the data plan since. The lack of Wi-Fi drivers on the 650 is almost criminal!
    I'll believe this update when I can install it. Now if this does come about, I'm not seeing much of a reason to get the so-called 700p, especially paying anything over $100 for it. Well if they somehow decide to add built-in WiFi to it... hmm I wonder if the updated Bluetooth support in lowtide will include A2DP...
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Don't know why, but I think that if this is true that it is because ur makes supporting them easier for the carriers.

Also, if this happens, don't expect a GSM update. I would guess first Sprint 650s and a few/many months later VZW to release the same.

Tis only a guess though. No one who can tell will tell...yet
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    If that's really true that we don't get the same update, I really won't be going back to Palm. What's the reasoning for that, if true?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    Don't know why, but I think that if this is true that it is because ur makes supporting them easier for the carriers.

Also, if this happens, don't expect a GSM update. I would guess first Sprint 650s and a few/many months later VZW to release the same.

Tis only a guess though. No one who can tell will tell...yet
    in case there's an update, gsm device owners will surely also be able to share the fun. palm cannot risk annoying so many users. only supporting the americans will be criminal, to say the least. i think palm is interested in keeping non american customers.
    WiFi driver huh?

So I finally get to see what hell look like when it get freeze over.
    If part of the 700p's specification is EVDO, then this means that the phone will be on the CDMA Network only. There is a precident for this has already been set (Verizon Wireless XV6700 & 700w) which only work on the CDMA network.
    If Palm do the same with the 700p, then there will be a lot of GSM network users who will have to stick with their 650's.
    This mean it will make good sense to offer this ROM update to keep the customers happy with their choice until the next GSM Treo is released.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm not, that's an important strategy for Palm.

Cheers,
    Gavin
    that theory makes no sense to me. there are gsm and cdma versions of every other treo.
    I haven't seen a gsm version of the 700...
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Most likely a wishlist or it's a belated April fools joke.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gavindi
    If part of the 700p's specification is EVDO, then this means that the phone will be on the CDMA Network only. There is a precident for this has already been set (Verizon Wireless XV6700 & 700w) which only work on the CDMA network.
    If Palm do the same with the 700p, then there will be a lot of GSM network users who will have to stick with their 650's.
    This mean it will make good sense to offer this ROM update to keep the customers happy with their choice until the next GSM Treo is released.

Cheers,
    Gavin
    So you see two distinct branches of the next Treo where the CDMA carriers get the 700w and 700p in their current incarnations and the GSM carriers will get perhaps a 750w and 750p?

Kind of like how HTC has the Apache (xv/ppc 6700) and the Wizard which are basically the same phone on different bands?

I would say if the GSM models are going to come out later this summer or early fall then the ROM upgrade makes sense to release only for GSM carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb
    This firmware will include:

...snip...
    - FAT32 support (Allows use of the new 4GB SD cards)
    - Updated Bluetooth support. (New handsfree devices)
    - Pockettunes will replace Realplayer
    - WiFi drivers for Palm's WiFi card
    - Will add Drive Mode support (Allows your device to function as a USB SD card reader.)
    - Will free up usable memory by compressing the ROM image
    - Blazer update to support additional fonts
    - Will add Palm's file explorer
    - Launcher updates. Will add new memory management features in order to increase the efficiency and improve the useability of running applications off of an expansion card
    - Firmware update will also enable future "over the air" firmware updates.
    - Updated AddIT client to support buying and installing third party application software over the built in wireless data link.
    Funny. . .It sounds like Palm will be repackaging the currently available Life Drive ROM files into a future update.

Thanx Palm. . .
    Last edited by CraniumFunk; 04/21/2006 at 11:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    I'll believe this update when I can install it. Now if this does come about, I'm not seeing much of a reason to get the so-called 700p, especially paying anything over $100 for it. Well if they somehow decide to add built-in WiFi to it... hmm I wonder if the updated Bluetooth support in lowtide will include A2DP...
    I would be happy with just the wifi drivers.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

IF this rumor is true .. then this update is a big deal for those who don't do custom ROM's. Adding FAT32 will be be a very big deal for me.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by gavindi

Cheers,
    Gavin
    So you're saying that my Cingular Treo 650 with EDGE precludes the availability of a Sprint/Vermizon phone because CDMA doesn't have EDGE?

Sell your retarded somewhere else, we're full up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    So you see two distinct branches of the next Treo where the CDMA carriers get the 700w and 700p in their current incarnations and the GSM carriers will get perhaps a 750w and 750p?
    From the rumors / leaks I have followed, speculation was 700w/p for CDMA and 800w/p or whatever is not now called Hollywood for GSM.
    So if the 700p is stricty CDMA, then it wouldn't hurt their business to release a new Rom for the 650?
    I think it should be only CDMA. Because no one here in Europe would buy a new device if it has only more memory then the earlier one. There must be more innovations, for example UMTS support (the second camera will become mandatory). But most of Europe isn't important for Palm, there isn't a big community of Palm users in central and eastern Europe. Mainly because of big problems of PalmOS with localisation. So if Palm will have to decide between launching two new models, the one with Windows Mobile would be more widely accepted. Hopefully Palm will release both.

Apart from this, the first post shows only a wish-list. There isn't any reason for Palm to launch such a big update. We all hope there will be an update. But it can only fix some problems (my Treo still isn't stable). But including for example Pocket Tunes in update would be a TOTAL mistake from marketing point of view from Palm.
    Hmm...I hope this isn't just a hoax.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    IF this rumor is true .. then this update is a big deal for those who don't do custom ROM's. Adding FAT32 will be be a very big deal for me.
    That should be reason enough to do a ROM update.....to stem the tide of wrranty replacements for "bricks" created by peeps attempting custom ROMs.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast