Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    $10 with sprint
    Are you sure about the $10 Power Vision plan? When I call and asked about Power Vision pricing it was $15 for just internet and another $15 for unlimited sms.
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    Are you sure about the $10 Power Vision plan? When I call and asked about Power Vision pricing it was $15 for just internet and another $15 for unlimited sms.
    The answers is a little in between. The official prices for evdo access (PowerVision) on Sprint are $15, $20 and $25. $15 is unlimited evdo, the $25 includes full Sprint TV and extras..

Some people with $10 1x Vision plans were able to keep that when upgrading to evdo. But don't think you'll get it...fairly rare these days as they've caught on a bit to that, though I suppose it could still happen.
    That would be one awesome update. I think I'll stick with my 650 for a little while longer anyway. It hasn't let me down yet.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    I have unlimited SMS for 5 bucks. I think it mainly varies depending on your plan.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb
    Unconfirmed rumor taken from a PALM stock message board - wish list or fact?:

Major Firmware update coming for the Treo 650. (codename lowtide) It should be released shortly after Sprint starts selling the 700P. (This will be done to keep the Treo 650 platform competive)

This firmware will include:
    - New application: "Get Blackberry Connect" to ease installation and configuration of BBConnect clients.
    - New application: "Get MobiTV" (This is a Cingular only customization).
    - FAT32 support (Allows use of the new 4GB SD cards)
    - Updated Bluetooth support. (New handsfree devices)
    - Pockettunes will replace Realplayer
    - WiFi drivers for Palm's WiFi card
    - Will add Drive Mode support (Allows your device to function as a USB SD card reader.)
    - Will free up usable memory by compressing the ROM image
    - Blazer update to support additional fonts
    - Will add Palm's file explorer
    - Launcher updates. Will add new memory management features in order to increase the efficiency and improve the useability of running applications off of an expansion card
    - Firmware update will also enable future "over the air" firmware updates.
    - Updated AddIT client to support buying and installing third party application software over the built in wireless data link.
    I have to agree with some of the others. Updates like these will stop quite a few people from buying the 700p. If I got updates like these, I would probably keep the 650. Or maybe these are actually on the new Treo(crosses fingers)?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I have to agree with some of the others. Updates like these will stop quite a few people from buying the 700p. If I got updates like these, I would probably keep the 650. Or maybe these are actually on the new Treo(crosses fingers)?
    I've already hacked my Treo, or have installed programs, to incorporate most of these features, so these features alone would not stop me upgrading to a Treo 700. The Internet connection is still too slow on the 650 and that can't be changed.

That being said, I hope all of this is true just so I have something new to play with
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    It might, and at the same time, if Sprint/Cingular is not selling the 650, then that is a smaller group to worry about that will not upgrade. One thing that I have realized in my time of writing reviews is that no matter how many times you tell folks they can upgrade this and that, the VAST majority do not. And if that is what the carriers are counting on (that plus new users and a lower cost of entry for them, plus selling you a data package that the 650 would not be able to use), I am sure that they will sell enough to be happy.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Id be very instrested to know if Darklord could confirm if there is any truth in the possiblity of this Major 650 firmware update for ~June 06 (codename lowtide)
    - New application: "Get Blackberry Connect" to ease installation and configuration of BBConnect clients.
    Great, another application to remove from ROM or use RomHide because it's garbage, much like GetBC, GetGood, GetAnnoyed, etc.

Again, same as above, if I wanted MobiTV I'd have it, purchased through HandMark. I had it for 30 days, cancelled it. I don't need another icon telling me about it.

WOW! That's awesome. And by awesome I mean old; I've been running the Fat32 replacing FatFS in ROM for sometime now since it was ripped from the LifeDrive.

Unless it's BT 1.2 I see no advantages. Still can't use BT to signal VoiceDial to make a call or really use BT for a true "hands-free" interface.

Anyone who has owned a Treo for more than 3 days likely already has PocketTunes. I'll certainly agree that replacing SquealPlayer with PTunes is a move in the right direction, but PTunes Basic won't cut it.

Excellent, now I can play hot-swap with my 4GB SD card and fight with Blazer proxy issues.

- Will add Drive Mode support (Allows your device to function as a USB SD card reader.)
    Yippie Skippie, this new feature almost allows you to export you card to the computer, and if you used it twice you could almost call it CardExportII.

So this compressed ROM image, once booted, is it uncompressed and loaded to HEAP? Are we using an on-the-fly compression mechanism that's going to add additional load to the processor?

This had been really huge on my list. Everytime I use Blazer I think to myself "I really wish I had more fonts". Wait, no I don't. Perhaps remove the 2MB download limit, the 2MB allocation of DBCache, the slow rendering speeds, and perhaps consistent versions across carriers.

I bet this application will blow the doors off FileZ, that GNU/GPL licensing fee for FileZ really makes it a wallet crusher. I imagine Palm's File Mangler will allow me to also change file attribute values and flags?

- Launcher updates. Will add new memory management features in order to increase the efficiency and improve the useability of running applications off of an expansion card
    Perhaps Palm's own version of PowerRun? Who knows.

This may be useful, firmware updates without the need for a bundled ROM update. I certainly wonder how successful this would be.

- Updated AddIT client to support buying and installing third party application software over the built in wireless data link.
    Sweet! I'm all over this application. I need to pay for ringtones instead of converting my own from WAV/MP3. I also can't wait to see the extensive catalog of overpriced applications from vendors who have chosen to pay fees to the carrier.

I fail to see anything Major about this ROM update and I certainly won't be doing any type of celebratory dance. Perhaps make VersaFail less unstable?
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Great, another application to remove from ROM or use RomHide because it's garbage, much like GetBC, GetGood, GetAnnoyed, etc.

Again, same as above, if I wanted MobiTV I'd have it, purchased through HandMark. I had it for 30 days, cancelled it. I don't need another icon telling me about it.

WOW! That's awesome. And by awesome I mean old; I've been running the Fat32 replacing FatFS in ROM for sometime now since it was ripped from the LifeDrive.

Unless it's BT 1.2 I see no advantages. Still can't use BT to signal VoiceDial to make a call or really use BT for a true "hands-free" interface.

Anyone who has owned a Treo for more than 3 days likely already has PocketTunes. I'll certainly agree that replacing SquealPlayer with PTunes is a move in the right direction, but PTunes Basic won't cut it.

Excellent, now I can play hot-swap with my 4GB SD card and fight with Blazer proxy issues.

Yippie Skippie, this new feature almost allows you to export you card to the computer, and if you used it twice you could almost call it CardExportII.

So this compressed ROM image, once booted, is it uncompressed and loaded to HEAP? Are we using an on-the-fly compression mechanism that's going to add additional load to the processor?

This had been really huge on my list. Everytime I use Blazer I think to myself "I really wish I had more fonts". Wait, no I don't. Perhaps remove the 2MB download limit, the 2MB allocation of DBCache, the slow rendering speeds, and perhaps consistent versions across carriers.

I bet this application will blow the doors off FileZ, that GNU/GPL licensing fee for FileZ really makes it a wallet crusher. I imagine Palm's File Mangler will allow me to also change file attribute values and flags?

This may be useful, firmware updates without the need for a bundled ROM update. I certainly wonder how successful this would be.

Sweet! I'm all over this application. I need to pay for ringtones instead of converting my own from WAV/MP3. I also can't wait to see the extensive catalog of overpriced applications from vendors who have chosen to pay fees to the carrier.

I fail to see anything Major about this ROM update and I certainly won't be doing any type of celebratory dance. Perhaps make VersaFail less unstable?
    A little grumpy this morning, are we?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    A little grumpy this morning, are we?
    Perhaps so, my 6 mo daughter kept me up last night, however, I still think this upgrade is a little pathetic..
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    If it includes a ROM tool to dump this stuff, I be happy.

WOW! That's awesome. And by awesome I mean old; I've been running the Fat32 replacing FatFS in ROM for sometime now.
    Nice for those still under warranty who are worried about bricking their device.

Improved BT is always nice....would like to be able to turn off beaming and still use GPS for example. As for hands free BT, with a car cradle it's the proverbial "boobs on a bull"....if it was implemented, I'd never use it....cradle a lot closer to your hands than headset is.

Anyone who has owned a Treo for more than 3 days likely already has PocketTunes.
    Not me. Listening to music on a Treo is like dining at McDonalds...ok if ya don't expect too much ... but a prettier plate and better utensils ain't gonna make it taste better.

But woudn't that address in part all the peeps who complain about having to buy numerous 3rd party apps....essentially saving us $14.95 for Card Export ? Of course for you and me who already own it, we feel like boneheads

Right now, the compressed ROM image of 7-10 MB on Chip 1 (NVFS) expands to 12-14 MB or so on Chip 2 (RAM). It sounds like they saying 7-=10 may get to 6-9 or soemthing which would give you an extra 1 MB for program storage.

Again, maybe they listening to thsoe complaining about having to go out and get all this stuff...then again it might be more like Rescoe explorer and peeps are finding that worth the $$ in many instances.

Would save n00bs another $14.95

Handmark and others take 40-50% of the sales price. If the carriers are gonna take this instead of handmark, I have no issue with this.....anything which they make that might offset increases in plan cost is OK w/ me.

There's been tons of posts here w/ peeps complaining that POS isn't like WM5 in that it don't come w/ stuff "built in". Even if it's free peeps complain they ahd to find out what to get, find it and install it. Then for card Export and PowerRun, that stuff ya still gotta buy. So, if this thing is happening, I thibk it will result in a better OOBE. Right now there is a trade off between POS's better functionality, freedom and speed and ease of use versus WM5's one stop shopping.
    I think the OP just post the list of features for the upcoming Treo700P.
    As with many of these Treo rumors there is probably a basis in fact, just some of the details are confused. I think the folks saying these are the specs of the upcoming 700p are spot-on. Yeah, it's an update, but not for the 650. These are most likely the upgrades the buyers of the 700p will get over the current 650.
    Unconfirmed rumor taken from a PALM stock message board - wish list or fact?:

Major Firmware update coming for the Treo 650. (codename lowtide) It should be released shortly after Sprint starts selling the 700P. (This will be done to keep the Treo 650 platform competive)

This firmware will include:
    i hope these are all not wishful thinking because wishful thinking are only for lottery buyers heh heh heh
    The weather in Richmond, B.C. is

The weather in MY Place is

For Car and Pictures Enthusiast!
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cars
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cebupics
    BB Connect is already available for the 650, so that's certainly going to be included in the update.
    At the moment I still think that this is no more than wishfull thinking.. However, I dó am curious about what user Darklord has to say about it... In previous updated firmware rumours he usually was right with buildnumbers, fixes etc.

He also mentioned in the 1.20 thread that that was most likely the last update to be made available for the Treo 650. So, we'll see... But i'm not expecting much.
    Codename LOWTIDE? . . . something smells fishy.
    Isn't the codename of 700p "Lowrider" or something like that. This update would be nice but it is only hope. Why would Palm need to release such update shortly before the release of the new device. If you think of it it is totally stupid idea. There are only slight differences between 650 and 700p and this would put them almost equal and thus spoil the sales of the new 700p. Tell me any reason why would Palm have to release it if it stops them the money? It is only hope of us all.
    We all know these "Unconfirmed Rumor" is just that...a rumor. These so called rumors useally never happen, someones wish or they got the info mixed with another Treo upgrade.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast