1.    #1  
    What file format is best to stream from my home PC to my TREO650? Should I say use WMP or Real Networks and would that be a .AVI My treo has Real Player built in.I havent been able to figure out how to see a video clip.I have searched but not found what I need..
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    As far as I know, other than MobiTV, there aren't any streaming video clients for the palm treo. Your real player is audio only, and not streaming audio. Check out power tunes from normsoft if you're interested in streaming audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    As far as I know, other than MobiTV, there aren't any streaming video clients for the palm treo. Your real player is audio only, and not streaming audio. Check out power tunes from normsoft if you're interested in streaming audio.
    Not true -- mmplayer will do streaming video. I use it all the time to watch video streamed from my PC (using Bluetooth -- I've found going over the Sprint network is a bit too slow, but there may be some combination resolution, etc., that works -- I just haven't had time to play around with it much).
    I have mmplayer and also stream video from my pc which i can use vnc to stream to another computer. I dont see anyway to stream with data directly to my 650 can you explain how you did this?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc192000
    Not true -- mmplayer will do streaming video. I use it all the time to watch video streamed from my PC (using Bluetooth -- I've found going over the Sprint network is a bit too slow, but there may be some combination resolution, etc., that works -- I just haven't had time to play around with it much).
    two questions and a comment:

q1) not having played with bluetooth myself, isn't it basically like reading another drive?
    q2) have you successfully streamed from your pc via sprint network to you treo, or are you just assuming that it works.
    c1) how could I have missed all of the streaming video discussion threads
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdav
    I have mmplayer and also stream video from my pc which i can use vnc to stream to another computer. I dont see anyway to stream with data directly to my 650 can you explain how you did this?
    I run Linux on my PC. Using the vlc program (not vnc) I can stream video to the net, either a recorded file or straight from the PVR-250 video capture card (i.e., live TV). On my 650, I specify http://IP_ADDRESS_OF_MY_PC:8080 in mmplayer as the streaming video source and, voila, video streamed from my PC to my 650, either a recorded file or live TV.
    I run Linux on my PC. Using the vlc program (not vnc) I can stream video to the net, either a recorded file or straight from the PVR-250 video capture card (i.e., live TV). On my 650, I specify http://IP_ADDRESS_OF_MY_PC:8080 in mmplayer as the streaming video source and, voila, video streamed from my PC to my 650, either a recorded file or live TV.
    Alas you would have posted link to your stream...so we could talk about the fantastic video you stream last night and made our night
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    two questions and a comment:

q1) not having played with bluetooth myself, isn't it basically like reading another drive?
    q2) have you successfully streamed from your pc via sprint network to you treo, or are you just assuming that it works.
    c1) how could I have missed all of the streaming video discussion threads
    1) Bluetooth can be used for lots of things. When I'm at home I have Bluetooth set up to provide net access for my 650 via my PC using reverse DUN. This gives a data rate of 500-600 kbs as opposed to 50-60 kbs using Sprint.

2) As I mentioned in my original post, I -can- connect to my PC and stream video from a remote location via the Sprint network but the results so far have been disappointing -- jerky video with frequent long pauses due to network latency. It could probably be fixed by tweaking the parameters of vlc and/or mmplayer but I haven't had time to play around with it. Streaming via Bluetooth around the house, though, works great!

3) There have been periodic discussions of streaming video. I think most of the talk is on the multimedia section of Treo Central.
    I have an address I can stream from but with a MMS://, but where do you enter it as the "source"? I'm am running MM version 1.1.
    I have an address I can stream from but with a MMS://, but where do you enter it as the "source"? I'm am running MM version 1.1.
    p.s. I also run a PVR 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdav
    I don't think mmplayer can handle the mms protocol -- only http. But to specify a streaming address you just type the address into a playlist just like you would type in the filename for a song. When you play that playlist, it will connect and stream the video from that source.
  12.    #12  
    Where can I find a link to MMPLAYER Thanks from a Newbie
    1) Bluetooth can be used for lots of things. When I'm at home I have Bluetooth set up to provide net access for my 650 via my PC using reverse DUN. This gives a data rate of 500-600 kbs as opposed to 50-60 kbs using Sprint.
    Could you PLEASE PM me on you set-up for this. I have tried to do the same with MSFT supported BT, the sw provided with my BT dongle and Softick PPP and I have yet to connect to the net via my PC. Arrrgh!

I know I must be doing one step wrong, I just can't seem to figure out which step!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    I've tried this and mmplayer comes back with FAILED TO PLAY http://my ip address:5900
    Quote Originally Posted by gulfwindx
    Where can I find a link to MMPLAYER Thanks from a Newbie
    You might be a newbie to TC but I highly doubt you're a newbie to the internet. I Googled 'MMPLayer' and came up with several hits, INCLUDING 'www.mmplayer.com'...

Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    If you can't get the bandwidth you need via sprint (and I've used mobitv which is cute to show off to your friends, but not a practical solution. Video to jerky, sound quality terrible) then why would you watch via bluetooth.

If you were that close (which is what, within 15 feet or so?) why would you watch content shrunk down to a 2" screen when you could walk 10 feet or so and watch it on a 20" computer monitor, or better yet, since you are likely home, stream it to a 50" Plasma TV?

Until a 700p and until Spriint gets their network upgraded with a decent geographic footprint, if you are tied to sprint, I wouldn't recommend any high bandwidth applications on the treo. Better off transfering stuff to an SD card and watching local content. Plus that will allow you to receive incoming calls.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher
    If you can't get the bandwidth you need via sprint (and I've used mobitv which is cute to show off to your friends, but not a practical solution. Video to jerky, sound quality terrible) then why would you watch via bluetooth.

If you were that close (which is what, within 15 feet or so?) why would you watch content shrunk down to a 2" screen when you could walk 10 feet or so and watch it on a 20" computer monitor, or better yet, since you are likely home, stream it to a 50" Plasma TV?
    Personally, MobiTV has been working fine for me(except for the occasional crash). The picture quality is OK, and the sound is good. I like it.

I don't know why someone would stream via bluetooth though, when they could just go to their computer or TV and watch the same program. I guess it IS convenient when you need to go to the can...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher
    You're right of course. Watching TV on the 650 is more of a novelty than anything else. Occasionally I use it when I'm sitting outside by the pool where I have no TV, and it has the advantage of being able to watch premium channels such as HBO and Showtime that you don't get with a traditional pocket TV.

The main advantage I've found of using Bluetooth around the house is lightning fast network access for viewing web pages or checking email from anywhere (like when I'm sitting on the couch in the living room).