1.    #1  
    I'm a little puzzled. They just did an entire 3 page review of this Avvenu thing here on TreoCentral. I solved this problem a long time ago with FTP - which is exactly what FTP is made for. A server runs on your computer (across ANY platform, not just windows) and provides security and access to any directory you let it. The client runs just fine on Treo and lets me get (or put) any file anytime I need it.

All things are freeware (Cerberus FTP Server for Windows, VFSFTP for Treo), have been tested for years, and the interface looks very similar to what Avvenu just spent a great deal of time trying to set up. The reviewer (Harv) seems pretty impressed, but doesn't mention that this functionality has been available via FTP for years.

Or am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    Or am I missing something?
    Yes, ftp has no marketing department.
    Well, Avvenu also solves the IP address issue and creates simple internet links for sharing with others...

Don't get me wrong - you can put together a similar setup via other methods like FTP, but it requires multiple steps and configurations - while Avvenu makes it easy... Easy enough I started using it... and started sharing both pic and music links with my family...
    yep, Avvenu is FTP for dummies - and I am one of them. I use it here and there, but I don't want to go to the trouble of setting up a home FTP server.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex
    yep, Avvenu is FTP for dummies - and I am one of them. I use it here and there, but I don't want to go to the trouble of setting up a home FTP server.
    FTP Server Set Up Instructions
    1.) Right Click on the Folder
    2.) Click Share On the Web

IIS is built in to most Windows Operating Systems
    Not on my XP version - "Network" sharing is certainly there, but nothing about "Web" sharing. And wouldn't I have to expose my PC to the web through my router to accomplish this?
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Not on my XP version - "Network" sharing is certainly there, but nothing about "Web" sharing. And wouldn't I have to expose my PC to the web through my router to accomplish this?
    You're right, i over simplified a bit.

If you didnt install IIS with windows, you will also have to go to add/remove windows components, and check the box for IIS. That will give you the "share on the web" feature.

And yes, if you have a router, you have to navigate to the port forwarding tab on the router and open port 21.

Also, I use Serve U ftp, which I like a lot better than IIS.
    And wouldn't I have to expose my PC to the web through my router to accomplish this?
    I thought Exposing your PC to the web was the goal.
    It's now more than ftp -- they just sent out an email saying their 'plus' service coming soon will enable you to get to your files if your pc isn't on. It's a pay service, but if they do it right, I'm in.
    I tried Avvenu for a few days last week. It worked well, but I was uncomfortable with it for several reasons.

1. You have to leave your PC on and the Avvenu program running. With banking info, etc. on my PC, this just didn't feel right. I know they say they're secure, etc. and that's fine. But it wouldn't stop someone from walking into the house while I'm gone and going through things.

2. From the desktop, you can't (or I couldn't find out how to) select which files you want viewable. Your entire PC, including peripherals, shows up on the Treo. If they had a feature to select which files/folders should be remotely viewable, that would be more secure. Otherwise, lost treo (with no security) could equal some stranger viewing all your files.

3. The ability to get to your files even "if your pc isn't on" sounds bad. If your pc isn't on, then the files need to be stored somewhere accessible, e.g., Avvenu's servers. Once your files are on another company's servers, you lose control of your info/data. This same issue came up when Google offered online storage.

Just my two cents. It's all very convenient, but security is still a question mark.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Based on my experience:

1. You can leave your computer running, but locked and it still works as a service just fine.

2. I agree, they should add a configuration to select which folders you want to expose through the service, but even if they did, if someone got your phone, you need another option. I used mSafe (and had to use it once) to secure the phone remotely. A bunch of programs do this, including Butler I believe. You send your phone an sms, and if it's got the right codeword/passphrase, it can lock the phone, wipe the sd card if you wish and other things. So no problem there.

3. Your files are indeed copied to Avvenu's servers, but they're encrypted, and the connection is encrypted, so that's a bonus. I like Mozy.com b/c not only can you encrypt your files before uploading like I do, you can manage your upload key manually through their site. So no one, and I mean NO ONE, including the mozy folks can see your files, even if they wanted to. I like Mozy -- good outfit, security-mindful guys.
    You're right on #1. You can lock your PC and turn off your monitor and still have access.

And #2 is right, too. But that's assuming everyone has a security program on their Treo and that they use it regularly. And that you can get to a PC in time to send the message.

For #3, I would disagree. Your files may be encrypted, but if the company decides to turn them over to some government agency with or without a subpoena (as in the recent phone company fiasco), you have no control over it. And I have no doubt that the government can crack any encryption code they want. Given enough time and money. Even paranoids have enemies!

I'm probably overly concerned about this type of security and don't have anything that anyone would want. But anything that basically leaves a path open to my pc or means moving files to another server, just seems like an extra chance that's not worth taking.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Bheuss -- if Mozy turned over their files to the gov't, your files would still be encrypted with your key if you managed it that way. Given enough time and money, maybe they can crack your key, but your info would have to be important enough to do that. Unless you're on some type of wanted list, this ain't gonna happen.