Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hey guys,
    I just got a Treo 650 the other day, and I am trying wirelessly sync the Calendar and the Contacts with Outlook running on my home computer. It looks like without hitting an Exchange server, this is not an option with VersaMail. Is that correct? Is there any other way to do this? I figured it would be pretty straight forward, since in the past I have used applications like MightyPhone on the Symbian OS, but I can't seem to find anything that will work with the Treo 650. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Not being an Outlook user, I will say this - I haven't used a sync cable since I installed a Bluetooth dongle on my laptop. I venture to say therefore that the answer is yes. There is a bit of a learning curve involved, but the over all result is great. With the appropriate application, you can do a lot with Bluetooth. The rest of this is probably way off base.

May I also suggest that you get a good backup program that backs up internal memory to the SD card (I use BackupManager) and another backup program that backs up the internal memory and SD card to your main computer (I use BackupBuddy). BackupManager is really a life saver.

If you use HanDBase then you should also look at OnGuard - it backs up specific applications and their related files. It has been a big saver to me.

A launcher comes in handy and there are bunches out there that are good at what they do. I tried ZLaucher last week and the 2nd day into the trial I purchased it. Another leading competitor is just too busy.

Good luck. Ben
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply, but to clarify, when I say wireless, I mean over Sprint's data network I.E. sync calendar entries many miles away from my computer
    Yep, but I have never tried it. The thought of synching that much data over the network...Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by feiock
    Hey guys,
    I just got a Treo 650 the other day, and I am trying wirelessly sync the Calendar and the Contacts with Outlook running on my home computer. It looks like without hitting an Exchange server, this is not an option with VersaMail. Is that correct? Is there any other way to do this? I figured it would be pretty straight forward, since in the past I have used applications like MightyPhone on the Symbian OS, but I can't seem to find anything that will work with the Treo 650. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Check with your carrier data support department. With Rogers Wireless they provide additional software ( MyMail Desktop Assistant) for private sector customers not using a mail server that would normally be used in a enterprise work environment. The problem though is that the software at this time is only ported to WIndows not Linux or OSX. The other issue is that you would need to leave your computer on all the time if you want to have real-time access to your contacts, calender, etc provided in your mail software (ie: Outlook). You could set up a LAN with a mail server running 24/7 but that would require not only a business ISP account but also you not minding a large hydro bill.

An alternative solution could possibly be Google Calendar http://www.google.com/googlecalendar/overview.html that is being developed. Having this routed through a mail forwarding service such as MyMail, VersaMail, etc could provide a better real-time service as well lower cost solution for Treo customers. Just being able to access it online is an advantage especially if you unfortunately lose or damage your Treo.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Yeah, I will check with Sprint to see what they offer. It seems from looking around other people have done something similar with Verizon. I have no issues running it from Windows, and my desktop never gets turned off anyway, so that is all Ok.

It is interesting you mention Google Calendar, because the whole reason I even want to sync her phone with Outlook in the first place is so we can sync our online calendars ( I am using Airset though ). As far as I know, there is no online calendar that will sync directly to a PDA, but rather has to go through Outlook(or similar) first.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Just to follow up, I did find a service through Sprint that does exactly what I am looking for. Basically, I installed a client app on my desktop at home and an app on my Treo and it will automatically sync my Calendar and contacts, and has a nice feature that lets me access files as well. It is called PCS Business Connection, and I don't believe it costs anything for the personal edition. You can find more info here:

http://www.sprintpcs.com/bizcon.html