Hi folks,

I've been hunting on and off for a few years for a pda case that also has a cable lock attached to it in such a way that you can secure it the same way you'd secure a laptop. In other words... what I'd like to have is a hard Treo case (for my 650) that has a clasp on it and a small padlock on that clasp to keep people from opening the case and taking the Treo. I also want it to have a cable lock that I can loop around my desk leg. I don't care how ugly it is as long as it delays or deters a potential thief and still allows me to use the Treo without having to unsecure it.

I thought about somehow making one by attaching metal clasps to a hard case using superglue so that I can use both a padlock and a cable lock...somehow... Obviously I don't have it all figured out yet.

Anyway, is there anyone here who has tried such a thing and is willing to admit it? I know about Cradle Robber and will try that on my 650 when I get it, but I was very much hoping for a hardware solution as well.

TIA
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    A Treo will fit inside a RhinoSkin 1100, and you can secure the zippers shut, and use a cable to lock the entire case to a desk. It's not a perfectly secure solution, but it will prevent casual crooks from lifting your Treo out of a hotel room, for example. You can view the RhinoSkin case at http://www.saunders-usa.com/rhinoski...nd=13&model=63

There are other RhinoSkin cases that you can use, too. What makes the RhinoSkins function as a secure case is the zippers that you can lock with a small padlock or a cable.
    Might be easier to just rivet a couple of metal loops onto a metal hard shell casing. I don't know how much space is available on the inside of one, but I would imagine that if you're willing to risk some scratching you might be able to make something like that work.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    A Treo will fit inside a RhinoSkin 1100, and you can secure the zippers shut, and use a cable to lock the entire case to a desk. It's not a perfectly secure solution, but it will prevent casual crooks from lifting your Treo out of a hotel room, for example. You can view the RhinoSkin case at http://www.saunders-usa.com/rhinoski...nd=13&model=63

There are other RhinoSkin cases that you can use, too. What makes the RhinoSkins function as a secure case is the zippers that you can lock with a small padlock or a cable.
    Thanks for the link and for the info. I do like the fact that you can padlock the zippers. I looked at the measurements and wondered if I could buy one and cut open part of the front so I could have access to the device (including the keyboard) while still it was still secured to the case, but I think it would be too easy to remove. I'll poke around their site some more with treo measurements in mind.

As easy as it is for someone to swipe your handheld, I'm surprised nobody has manufactured cases that secure them to desks or other surfaces.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMooch
    Might be easier to just rivet a couple of metal loops onto a metal hard shell casing. I don't know how much space is available on the inside of one, but I would imagine that if you're willing to risk some scratching you might be able to make something like that work.
    Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. I have seen some rather large hard cases online, so maybe one of them is large enough for holes for a wire loop. Thanks for that idea. I'll have to look around online and see what I can find.
    LMAO!!

I still tell my kids horror stories about when our phone was tethered to the desk!