1.    #1  
    I just bought another unlocked/unbranded GSM Treo 650. (My first one went to my wife when I tried the alternatives, and she won't give it back).

I went to the MDA, gave it back to T-Mo. Activesync was a pain, I personally didn't like the keyboard (not the slide-out aspect, but the fact that the keys were almost flat compared to the deck they are set into). LOVED the Wifi. Email performance was good. I will go to WM5 when the right piece of hardware comes along. Did I say I LOVED the wifi?

Next came the BB. Got a 7230 off Craigslist for really cheap. Rock solid hardware, POS (no not referring to an operating system here) web functionality. Dropped the thing several times by accident without the same sinking feeling I would have with the Treo. Really rugged.

Used the Desktop Redirector software (I am the only BB/Treo user at my small business so a BES would be absurd). What a colossal pile of **** the Redirector software is. I was in Oregon for 4 days and got the same 10 emails over and over, every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day. My Exchange Server gives me daily warnings about vastness of the the outbound queue in the SMTP server. But more important, the PIM functions are critical for me, and the 72xx series PIM functions are absolutely pathetic compared to the Treo. And my need to rely on Redirector software for email on the BB meant that I wasn't willing to go with the 8700g that is on sale in a couple of days at T-Mo. I fondled the 8700g at the T-Mo store and frankly thought the Treo looked/felt better.

So I sat and thought. What to get? There's no point in living in the future -- the Nokia E61, the Motorola Q, whatever HTC pops out, the 700P (I need GSM to travel, anyway). I'm sure they'll all arrive sooner or later. But they are not here now. And I need to live and work now. Further, whether these new phones are any good or not is yet to be seen. After all, I waited for the MDA which turned out to be disappointing. I personally put the Moto Q in the Dim Bulb category after my experience with Motorola's MPx 220. I just don't trust Moto to do it right.

What's out there, NOW? The 700W would be fine, but it's CDMA. The MDA/8125/6700, tried and discarded already. I definitely want that QWERTY keyboard . . . .

So I've gone full circle, and bought another Treo 650.

I know there are a lot of MDA enthusiasts, and certainly BB has its fan club, but for my specific needs -- heavy email, fairly heavy phone, but PIM functionality above all else -- the Treo 650 still rules.

Yes, when the Next New Fabulosity in Mobile Phones comes along I'll buy one and either love it or hate it or both. :-) But for the moment, the Treo 650 is it.

And if you're listening, Palm, take my purchase as only temporary loyalty. Hear this: (1) more memory--don't cheap out on this the way you did on the 700w; (2) wifi--don't cheap out on this the way you did with the 700w; (3) please give me WM5 but beat it into a state of simplicity and reasonableness for us, will ya?; (4) true push email, without this "AKU2 comin' any ole' day, y'all" stuff, y'hear? (5) Activesync is an abomination unto the Lord, yea verily; (6) for ****'s sake use a mini USB connector like BB instead of a proprietary cable; (7) remember those of us that live in GSM land--we feel a bit forelorn watching the 700w and the 700p.
    That's quite the journey. I am longing for wifi as well.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Usability of doing even simple stuff on the MDA is horrendous, forget one handed usage. The Micro$oft people still don't get that the stuff you do everyday should be accessible within two actions at most, but Winmob weights all tasks equally, even something that only a handfull of users might ever try to do with the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by srlondon
    Usability of doing even simple stuff on the MDA is horrendous, forget one handed usage. The Micro$oft people still don't get that the stuff you do everyday should be accessible within two actions at most, but Winmob weights all tasks equally, even something that only a handfull of users might ever try to do with the device.
    While that is true, there are so many today plugins and such that you can create whatever access you want to any particular program. Is it like that out of the box, not necessarily, but with a little research, you can get it running pretty smooth.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

There are only so many things you can fix with plugins.
    Thats true...but addressing your point about putting the most important/used programs within a click or two is fairly easy to do. ;-)