1.    #1  
    So, I've been using Palm Desktop since I first started using a Palm about seven years ago.

But I think the functionality of Outlook makes me want to switch. Before I do, I have a few questions:

(1) Would this be a complex procedure? What is the exact procedure so that I don't lose any past calendar data, memos, tasks, etc?
    (2) If I switch to Outlook, won't I lose the ability to browse through my Treo's photos/videos on my PC?
    (3) Will switcing to Outlook be as beneficial as I expect it will be?

Thanks in advance!

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Flow
    So, I've been using Palm Desktop since I first started using a Palm about seven years ago.

But I think the functionality of Outlook makes me want to switch. Before I do, I have a few questions:

(1) Would this be a complex procedure? What is the exact procedure so that I don't lose any past calendar data, memos, tasks, etc?
    (2) If I switch to Outlook, won't I lose the ability to browse through my Treo's photos/videos on my PC?
    (3) Will switcing to Outlook be as beneficial as I expect it will be?

Thanks in advance!

Steve
    Not complex. There are Outlook conduits I believe on the install CD. I've always used Outlook, so I don't know for sure whether your past data will migrate or not. I don't think they will, but I'll leave that to someone else.

Outlook is just the PIM. You can still sync over your photos via Hotsync, and view them in Palm Desktop, or by going to the folder directly, and opening them.

As to being beneficial, I'm not sure what you're expecting.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Insertion is right ,

the conduit in on the treo cd. I think when you put the cd in ur computer, one of the options is install outlook conduits or whatever.

I love it. I use outlook for my email, so all of my calender items, memos(they go to outlook at notes), and of course all of the contacts from your palm are all there on outlook.

the conduit works pretty good, the only problem is sometimes it duplicates calender items on your treo.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I have gone back and forth between outlook and palm desktop in the past. Palm desktop seems to be simpler and easier to manipulate. Outlook seems to be much more powerful and detail oriented.

I never lost any data syncing back and forth (for a while syncing at home with outlook and palm desktop at work.) The real big advantage for outlook for me was that when I use the email client, I have full access to all my email addresses that I have in my contacts (which are synced to my phone.) When I used palm desktop, I had to copy and paste emails from it into my email client (sucked.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I'd recommend using Agendus instead.
    Outlook is really horrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75
    I'd recommend using Agendus instead.
    Outlook is really horrid.
    Which version of Outlook? I hated earlier versions, but just started using Outlook 2003 at work, and am fairly impressed. There are things I'd like to see it do differently, but it's a dramatic improvement over older versions.

In answer to the original question, you can still access everything but the PIM apps through desktop with no problem.

Switching (or switching back) is easy. Put the original CD in, and one of the options will be sync with Outlook instead of Desktop. (This is true for Sprint. I assume its true for other versions, too.) On your next hotsync, Outlook calendar, contacts, memos and tasks will be sync'd with your Treo. You shouldn't lose anything. Note that you've got a couple of extra options for handling conflicts between the Treo and Outlook if something is changed on both platforms: duplicate on both, Outlook wins, or Treo wins.

If you decide to switch back, do the same thing. The install CD will let you switch back.

Will it be beneficial? What are you looking for? If you primarily use your PC for scheduling, managing contacts, etc., then Outlook 2003 is far more functional than Palm Desktop. But if you do most of this on the Treo, and just use the desktop occasionally, it's probably not worth the aggravation.

The company I'm consulting to uses Outlook for almost everything, so I don't have much choice but to sync with it if I want to keep my work stuff on my Treo. The things I don't like: Outlook doesn't seem to have any way to have an untimed calendar event. And I haven't found a way to set an alarm for an appointment without getting reminded by both the PC and the Treo.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I went the other direction: now I use Thunderbird for email & Palm desktop for calendar. The main advantage is that I could install both Thunderbird and Palm desktop onto a thumbdrive and that way synchronize my Treo on my work computer and not leave any personal info behind--just take my thumbdrive with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy
    I went the other direction: now I use Thunderbird for email & Palm desktop for calendar. The main advantage is that I could install both Thunderbird and Palm desktop onto a thumbdrive and that way synchronize my Treo on my work computer and not leave any personal info behind--just take my thumbdrive with me.
    How did you accomplish the installation to the thumb drive?
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for all the advice, guys! Really appreciate it. Yes, I do most of my scheduling from my desktop, so Outlook would be best, it seems.

Thanks again.
  10.    #10  
    Makes me think I should have bought a Treo 700w a few months ago, though (instead of the 650)... Probably would interact better with Outlook, no?