I hope the title of this thread makes it clear what I'm asking. In case it's not, here's what I'm asking:
    Is it theoretically possible (or perhaps someone's already done it) to use a Treo 650 (mine's the Verizon version) to dialup an ISP (like old-fashioned Earthlink dialup, 56 kbs speed or lower), login to the ISP, and begin browsing the web with the 650's Blazer browser?

So, I'm NOT asking about using a laptop to access the internet via Bluetooth/Treo "conduit" to the web. I've read the threads on (a) getting the 650 capable of wifi browsing; (b) getting Bluetooth DUN to work on the Treo. I've also read references all over the place referring to Shadowmite's work on these two things. But I'm not asking about either (a) or (b).

What I am asking is basically a way to avoid having to pay for the carrier's extra data service (in Verizon's case, a hefty charge on top of your airtime minutes) by dialing up, using my airtime minutes, but as far as the carrier knows, it's just a phone call.

No pc involved and no wifi involved: just me, my Treo 650, my cell phone call to a vendor's (e.g. Earthlink's) regular dialup ISP service, then using Blazer to browse the web at some old-timey slow dialup speed < 56 kilobits/sec.

I suppose that would mean some Palm-based software + Blazer that acts analogously to Windows dial-up networking + Internet Explorer to browse the web. And in my case, from the looks of it, I'd also need to unlock the "network" setting on my 650 (Verizon has it "Locked" into using their National Access data service).

I'm a longtime Palm user but new to Treo 650 (recently got one)--I don't know much about the technology of Treo's, hacking, etc.

If anyone has any knowledge, ideas, thoughts, or absolute answers on this question, please post! Thanks.
    The technical term is circuit switched data (CSD). I don't know if Verizon charges extra for it or not. They will know you are using the phone for dialup and not voice call. They can stop it, charge you extra or let it go.

To set it up go to network pref and create a new service. Call it earthlink or whatever and follow your ISP's instruction on how to set it up. Select the new service and you with luck you should be able to browse the web in very S-L-O-W speed.

Hope this helps.
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
    XP47, you can also save money by using the same coffee grounds 4 days in a row. No reason to grind fresh beans every time, that's just a waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by XP47
    I hope the title of this thread makes it clear what I'm asking. In case it's not, here's what I'm asking:
    Is it theoretically possible (or perhaps someone's already done it) to use a Treo 650 (mine's the Verizon version) to dialup an ISP (like old-fashioned Earthlink dialup, 56 kbs speed or lower), login to the ISP, and begin browsing the web with the 650's Blazer browser?

So, I'm NOT asking about using a laptop to access the internet via Bluetooth/Treo "conduit" to the web. I've read the threads on (a) getting the 650 capable of wifi browsing; (b) getting Bluetooth DUN to work on the Treo. I've also read references all over the place referring to Shadowmite's work on these two things. But I'm not asking about either (a) or (b)...
    I use it very often as a free backup (From Wind telecomunicazioni s.p.a) for areas where there is no GPRS coverage. In the network prefernce is possible for every connection to configure a backup connection if the primary fails.

Bye

Ettore
    Ciao

Ettore
    Thanks, PrioTreo and Ettore, for helpful information. I posted a new thread asking about how/if you can unlock the network service preference on my vzw 650. If I can get it unlocked, I'm gonna try to setup a circuit switched data connection & see what happens.
    I have tested it out with my ISP dial-up settings and it works.....but like said before...only as a backup....very, very slow.