Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, the MHI (Multi-Handset Interface) bluetooth adapter, which clips into the MHI armrest jack just like any other MHI phone cradle, has been shipping for a short while (see http://www.wireless4mb.com/). I have read various scattered experiences people have had between it and the Treo 650, but am still experiencing an audio issue on my own.

This is a sort of call for experiences using the Treo 650 and MHI bluetooth adapter together. I am particularly interested for people to report their software version, firmware version, whether phone is branded (and/or unlocked, if GSM), and what features they have observed to work or not work with the MHI handsfree setup.

Part of my interest derives from the fact that I am still experiencing audio problems even after the dealership installed two microphones that were missing from the factory/VPC. At this point I'm not entirely sure if this is a firmware compatibility problem or still a residual issue with the microphone installation. The dealership says that they successfully tested with a Motorola V60 using the BT adapter, but I'm not entirely convinced yet.

In my case, I'm running an unbranded GSM model running ENA-1.20 and 1.71 firmware. This is the lateset available, and actually introduced fixes to the bluetooth implementation to increase compatbility to many existing car kits. Naturally, Mercedes' entry is a major latecomer and so I'm sure hasn't been compatibilty tested -- nor do they seem inclined to test any other phones than Motorola for some reason.

I have observed that several functions do work fine... signal meter, caller ID (no name, just number), basic call handling. I'm just having the aforementioned audio issue -- I can hear the other party speaking but they can't hear me speak.
    Hi - I have a client with 650 and a 2007 S550 and he's interested in this MHI Module. I'd certainly appreciate follow-up from you on any further experiences you have with the Treo and this device...
  3.    #3  
    Oh, yes, there have definitely been developments. In particular, my microphone issue is resolved. The issue seems to be that MOST/MHI setups employ two or more different microphone connectors on the wiring harness. This is apparently done to accomodate situations where the MHI/Handsfree component isn't installed. The connector used when handsfree is present facilitates the noise cancelling provided through multiple microphones installed (three for the R171, but I think it's as many as five in the new S-class).

Once the audio issue was resolved, I have all the basic functions on my Treo and MHI. About the only thing that doesn't work is the phone book. But signal strength, caller ID (number only), handsfree all work fine. I think there are other indicators, like voicemail and SMS... but I don't think those are supported either. But, for me, this accomplishes all the things I need.

The best part with the SLK is that with this noise cancelling, I can have normal voice level conversations with the top down up to 55MPH! Pretty kewl.
    I have a 06 ML350 but no MHI installed.

What would I need to purchase from the dealer to get my 650 to work with my vehicle? Typically what does this cost?
    TreoSaurus
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoSaurus
    I have a 06 ML350 but no MHI installed.

What would I need to purchase from the dealer to get my 650 to work with my vehicle? Typically what does this cost?
    You would need two things. First you would have to have the Hands-Free Communication System (which delivers the MHI cradle interface and various other integrated components); according to the mbusa.com "build your own ML350" accessories page, this seems to be listed for $930 (plus labor, of course).

The second piece you need is the MHI Bluetooth adapter, available from AWS (http://wireless4mb.com/), who is the sole reseller for these devices in the U.S. (on behalf of MBUSA). I believe these are selling for $350.

So, you're talking about roughly $1300 in parts plus installation of the handsfree kit. There are other bluetooth options in the works for MOST ring equipped cars, but I'm not entirely sure they're shipping yet and/or what handsfree kit components you might still need to get for those.
    I have an '05 CLK320 convertable ...... would the combo of the dealer installed Hands-Free Communication System and the MHI BT adapter add BT and enable the steering wheel controls?
    I have a 2002 E55 with the MB v60s already installed (no longer use it since I switched to the Treo 650). Anyone know if this new BT brick is all I need?

Thanks!

Martin in NH
    the MHI adapter works with my Treo 700p in my 2005 E55....
    I also upgraded to the Treo 700p when I heard that Mercedes released the MHI Module. I was previously using the Mercedes Hands Free Cradle with the super expensive yet highly limited Motorola V710 that you must of course purchase from Mercedes Benz.

Probably my fault for not verifying compatibility b4 upgrading, but I just could not stand the V710 any longer...lol (Plus, my Palm Zire 72 died - hows that for destiny).

Anyways, before I go and purchase the MHI, I wanted to get a rundown on what features actually work and which don't. I take it from the previous posts that basic phone functions like talking and listening are good to go.

But what about phone book (or Contacts, as Palm identifies it), dialing from the Command keypad, answering / hanging up via the steering wheel, etc.

Any information would be greatly appreciated before I go and shell out another $700 to my local MB dealer for (2) MHI interfaces (I have to look out for the wife's vehicle as well, or she'll have my ***)

Thanks
    Last edited by mvillareal; 06/19/2006 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Typo
    you can answer and place calls via the COMAND system.... caller ID works, when a call comes in, it's displayed on the COMAND screen.... press OK, and it answers the call.... everything seems to work except transferring your phone book to the COMAND.... haven't tried answering the phone from the steering wheel.... will try it out and report back....
    I would be interested in hearing from any Argos Bluetooth Kit owner in connection with a Treo 700P (Sprint). Argos is a 3rd party product and the cost is $799 without needing ANY Mercedes Benz installed equipment (well, I believe you need to have a Comand).
    I am considering buying this kit as I am not willing to pay $1300 plus labor for "updating" to the Mercedes Benz system. Supposedly the Argos system will use the sterring wheel controls and command as if it is an original MB system....
    Oh, I am driving a 2002 230K

Thanks in advance for any opinion.
    I did consider the argos, but they didn't have a solution for the 2005 E55....
    Just an update on the MHI interface / Treo combo. Just as Fikse reported earlier, the contacts or phone book entries do not load into the COMAND system. Does anyone know if this is a feature that will eventually be available with future Palm Treo software updates?

As far as answering and ending calls, the steering wheel controls as well as the buttons which control thiese functions on the COMAND head unit (i.e., SEND, END and the "Joystick") all function as expected.

I haven't yet received any SMS messages while driving yet, so I'm unsure if that will be a working function
    I still use my Timeport in my Mercedes...I was lucky enough to find a Sprint version of it.
  15.    #15  
    Sorry guys.. seems TC's email servers have been added to a spam block list, so I stopped getting email notifications of thread updates.

Quote Originally Posted by mvillareal
    Just an update on the MHI interface / Treo combo. Just as Fikse reported earlier, the contacts or phone book entries do not load into the COMAND system. Does anyone know if this is a feature that will eventually be available with future Palm Treo software updates?
    I've inquired through a few different paths and it seems that the manner in which the MHI module tries to access the address book is only compatible really with Motorola. Ironically, the V60 puck (by Motorola) does download the address book successfully. But I'm not downgrading my MOST ring to D2B to get that. It's just another example of how vendors aren't serious about compatibility.

As far as answering and ending calls, the steering wheel controls as well as the buttons which control thiese functions on the COMAND head unit (i.e., SEND, END and the "Joystick") all function as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by mvillareal
    I haven't yet received any SMS messages while driving yet, so I'm unsure if that will be a working function
    Nope, it won't. BT modules in the N.A. market don't support it at all. UHI supports it because it uses BT SAP... it basically becomes your phone for the time it's within range of the car.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MsRandall
    I still use my Timeport in my Mercedes...I was lucky enough to find a Sprint version of it.
    Except for the wee problem that it doesn't do bluetooth...
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Except for the wee problem that it doesn't do bluetooth...

I know it doesnt, you dont need bluetooth when you have a phone in the car that stays in the car...Reasons I never converted over was one I have a seperate line that is free monthly on my family plan and two the timeport has the integrated voice command on the steering wheel.

Back to the subject, my hubbys 07 s class isnt playing nicely with his Treo 700p. It drops connections all the time.
    Last edited by MsRandall; 07/02/2006 at 12:06 PM.
  18.    #18  
    I know it doesnt, you dont need bluetooth when you have a phone in the car that stays in the car...
    I was beginning to think you hadn't noticed the thread subject when making a non BT addition...

Back to the subject, my hubbys 07 s class isnt playing nicely with his Treo 700p. It drops connections all the time.
    Oh wait, you did... you were just ignoring it. Yes, the 700p has had serious problems with BT compatibility -- which is really funny after all the trouble they went though to improve it in the 650 -- and is noted in several 700p threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    I was beginning to think you hadn't noticed the thread subject when making a non BT addition...

Oh wait, you did... you were just ignoring it. Yes, the 700p has had serious problems with BT compatibility -- which is really funny after all the trouble they went though to improve it in the 650 -- and is noted in several 700p threads.

When I made the first statement I was meaning to add to my post about my husbands troubles with his s class ...

Now back to the subject...my Treo 700p seems to hold a better connection with his car than his Treo. We were debating exchanging his because of the dropped connections. Mercedes say contact Sprint, and Sprint says contact Mercedes. I might just switch phones with him since mine works 50% better, not perfect but better.
    Last edited by MsRandall; 07/03/2006 at 12:52 AM.

Well, maybe - just maybe help is on its way (Sprint Treo 700P). I posted in this thread here http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...49#post1038349 what I have heard - lets hope that a) it is true and b) they will make BT better. Just my 2 cents.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast