Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Alright Listen Up Folks!

This Only applies to those of you who have purchased a treo 650 with a year or so.. you think

Who can replace their units:
    -Those who have purchased from ebay (yes you can get it replaced)
    -Those with reset problems
    -Those with jack problems
    -Those with treo problems

Here is what to do first.

Go on the palm website and register your treo 650.
    So lets say you purchased the treo 650 in January of 2005, you put that down and you have until Jan. 2007
    http://productreg.palmone.com/

Now say you purchased from ebay or somewhere, but have problems with your unit and you dont know exactly when the warranty is over.
    Do the same and pick a date thats about 3 months(but not more than year) before the day you are calling.

THIS ACTUALLY WORKS!

Dont call and say "i dont know when i purchased it"
    I swear they will make up a date for you that you are not going to like. I called and said the same above and they said "we see here that the "approximate" purchase date is... Thats over the warranty period" (by 10 days mind you).. now cmon who would have time to cry about that. Thats total BS!

I spent about an hour talking with a sup. regarding this issue and she swears that you cant get it replaced if the system show the "approximate" date of purchase. (which is usually less than a month of the manufacturing date) you will be so out of luck.

And make sure to sound smart cause everything you say they "might" put down under the "serial #" of your unit. So when you call they have everything right infront of them.

As I was speaking with the supervisor she said she can get my unit replaced for $199 plus shipping. yea..ok like im going to pay anymore of this unlocked and unbranded pos..that doesnt work. She kept repeating herself until i got tired so i thanked here and hung up.

Then I immediatly did the steps above and called palm again.

Guess what happened. My treo is on the DHL in 3-5 Business days!
    The guy who i spoke with was very cool and didnt say anything about it being out of warranty and didnt even asked me when i purchased it. He jused said..."lets see here..ok looks like to me sir..[I had the chills]..that we can replace it for you. We have two options..[oh god not the $199] you can ship it to us for and we will exchange it or pa $25 for advanced exchange which will take 3-5 business days." Im saying to myself "yesssss" it worked my last resort of not paying anymore for this unit.

Additional tips
    -Get their name (dont wanna run into them twice) yikes
    - Make sure you tell them that you refered to the palm site or spoke with a rep earlier (but dont make up confusing bs) and you've done tons of research. Sound smart and relaxed not angry or scared or making up stuff that doesnt make sense.

-Tell them you where guided to do a hard reset. (this is their ultimate fix, and tell them you didnt sync anything) once you tell them this they are already thinking replacement.

-If first converstation fails thank him/her and hang up and try again asap!
    - Give them valid info like email and address (shoot your treo is on the truck to another address...you dont want that to happen)
    - If you failed on the first phone # (give them another if you have that is the phone # they asked from you.."whats you phone #"..)

Why do I tell you these tips and how do I know about this?
    I tell you these tips just because I know most of us here have spent more than the treo 650 is worth. Believe me most of us have spent as much as 3 times the price of the unit just to have something that works.
    I have used over 5 treos and they keep messing up. Im currently under tmobile and sprint, but use tmobile for voice and they dont carry the 650 so I purchase a treo from ebay.

Im in no way trying to cheat palm. I dont know the warranty date on the unit and I dont think its fair for them to say "This is you approximate date" now pay this amount or get lost. Approximate is approximate its not the exact. If it is the exact then I totally respect that!

The first call (which i intened to to replace my device) I just called for tech support and was thrown around and a supervisor who kept cutting me off at many points is freakin frustrating. I didnt want to argue and she kept repeating the same thing even though I was asking general questions.

Im just a college student and I use treo for work and fun and i dont want to spend more than I have to for less than a perfect device..or should i say for something stable.

Now on the other hand my sprint treo(for work) works great and I love it.
    this is the second unit I have replaced from palm using the same method.
    first was a CINGULAR unlocked unit(which I sold as refurb on ebay after I cancelled tmo)
    Then I had to get tmobile again because of my sprint phone(for work) and I got an unbranded phone from ebay that was like brand new and I thought it would work. It didnt do well and the seller said something about warranty from palm..so i took my chance.
    I just wanted to share this info with you guys if it becomes of use to anyone.

Sorry about the order of the info in this thread. I just wrote this while Im trying to head out and I didnt want to forget the steps.

Good Luck
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I just have sprints insurance plan. They replace my phone with no questions asked.
    I must be lucky. I've never had to have my Treo replaced, and have never had a problem that I couldn't work out on my own. Thanks for the tips, though.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    A buddy of mine has been having mega-troubles with his Treos. His original lasted about 10 months then started resetting. He went through 4 or 5 refurbs (Cingular), then they finally sent him a brand new unit.....still having problems. He finally got Cingular to swap his Treo for one of the Windows Mobile 8125 Pocket PC units. He's waiting on delivery of it now. The Cingular rep confided in him that they are only having a success rate of about 1 in 10 for the Treo 650s. 10% without problems!!! Can you say class action suit? Anyway, I've had mine since last August with no problems I couldn't solve myself (knock on wood!!!).
    nice plan, remeber they have your credit card number and when you receive your treo you'll notice, they'll include disclaimer stating they can charge you more if they discovered anything that voids your warranty (which makes sense, they're sending you a treo based on YOUR description of the problem). Good Luck
    P.S. I have Sprint Ins Plan and I am on my 4th Treo no questions asked.
    Treoing & Loving it
    morality, decency, honesty - what 2 things do they have in common?
    1. they are synonyms for "integrity"
    2. they are something you lack.

if you have valid probs w/in warranty period = dues
    anything else, YOU ARE A LIAR & PROB CHEAT ON YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER.

P.S. Maciavelli died in 1527 and to my knowledge, did not name you as an heir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhero
    I just have sprints insurance plan. They replace my phone with no questions asked.
    I have a problem with using insurance to replace a defective unit because:

1) There is a $50 deductable
    2) You can only do this twice... 3 strikes and you are out!

I still would get the Insurance with Sprint, but I would fight to get a warranty replacement if I think it's fair.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtectr

I don't know if you could draw that conclusion but I get your point.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

All I have to say is shame on Palm for not keeping their own records straight enough so this sort of thing can't happen. However, Palm does try to rip you off with repair costs. A repair sometimes costs as much as it would be to buy a new device. I don't advocate doing this sort of thing, but I can see where he's coming from.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    I was so concerned... my T650 was bricked... and ALL I did was Use Snapper/ZL... i moved Snapper from the SD card to RAM and that's all my T650 wrote...

BTW, i purchased a NEW unlocked T650 on Ebay...

for two weeks I was recruiting help from Shadowmite and other Treo experts... to no avail... once they saw my Rom Tool log... they told me it was bleak...

I finally mustered the COURAGE to Call Palm... I was unhappy that I was referred to Cingular... but SINCE I had my T650 for only a month... it was a cinch retrieving a REPLACEMENT... =)

It's amazing how CS can occasionally be a POSITIVE experience... lol
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    you all sound like a bunch of rich a-holes. palm made a product that apparently keeps breaking on people and isnt backing it up, and i dont know about you but if i was in this guys case i wouldnt be willing to spend 200 bucks because palm made a bad product.. i can personally care less if people take advantage of this because their phones keep getting bricked. besides, palm will just take the phones repair them then give them to carrier's insurance to give out as refurbs...
    Damn, I am a cynic... but this is just a phone... and if they'll replace it... then I'll take it... the way it works with a one year warranty...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtectr

P.S. Maciavelli died in 1527 and to my knowledge, did not name you as an heir.
    LOL.
    First it takes you 2 weeks to think of this weak stuff, then you try to grill me.
    It's ok I guess you only have one post. You dont need help just go to palm.com/support EVERYTHING is there. Treo central cant touch that!
    gimme a break. Everything you just said is BS and I can confirm that.

Unless you want to pay me $600 less than a "working right" device I would simply look to as many alternatives as possible to make it "fair"! got it!

> Im just a college student

Don't colleges require that students know how to use the apostrophe character? This is the punctuation symbol on the L key of the Treo 650; it's used for contractions and possessives. I don't think there's a single apostrophe in your 18-screen post!

My apologies if your keyboard has a defect that prevents you from employing this useful punctuation character.
    Last edited by Jeff DLB; 04/30/2006 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB
    > Im just a college student

Don't colleges require that students know how to use the apostrophe character? This is the punctuation symbol on the L key of the Treo 650; it's used for contractions and possessives. I don't think there's a single apostrophe in your 18-screen post!

My apologies if your keyboard has a defect that prevents you from employing this useful punctuation character.
    watever grammer nazi! Thanks for the tips!
    you think I wrote that on my treo? sounds like my 18 screen post was posted on the treo to me. Why dont you go insert your SD sized brain in your rear before saying something like that again?

Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    nice way to start off (with either 1 post or 150)...

the real issue is that whether or not your phone is a piece of crap, you bought it with a 1 year warranty. I believe there is a difference between Palm not keeping track of your purchase date, ie, Palm: "did you buy this less than a year ago" User: "yes, I think so" - and specificallydefrauding someone.

This is one of those - it's just an insurance company, nobody is really paying for this - type arguments.

btw - when Cingular screwed up my billing, I got a free Treo 650 by being dilligent and hunting down the right folks, so there are other options.
    tagged