1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I've been using Versamail, Chatter and Snappermail with varying degrees of success. At any rate, so far, I like Snappermail best but that's not the point of this post.

My girlfriend has the EXACT same Treo 650 (Cingular V1.17-CNG) as I do, and her Versamail gives her absolutely no problems as far as getting as many emails as she wants. The only difference is that her email comes from optonline.net (Cablevision). At one point, she's had over 500 messages in her inbox without any problems. She loves it.

I, on the other hand, use AOL for email, and if I choose to retrieve anything more than 20-30 messages, it times out and gives me an error message. Chatter and Snappermail do not have that problem.

I really want to get my Versamail working the way she has it. It has to be an ISP thing. How do I successfully retrieve ALL of my AOL mail with Versamail like she does???

Any help is highly appreciated!
  2.    #2  
    Anybody?????????????
    Well, you asked for it....sorry if this sounds overly sarcastic, but....GET RID OF AOL!

Aside from being the WORST isp I have ever seen, their email is awful.

In anticipation of your reaction that I am being less than helpful, here's another option for you (which I cannot verifiy AOL allows you to do, since I wouldn't be caught dead using it). You could forward all your AOL mail to a better email service. There are lots of free ones online. Then just retireve from this other account and set your reply to field as your AOL address.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Well, you asked for it....sorry if this sounds overly sarcastic, but....GET RID OF AOL!

Aside from being the WORST isp I have ever seen, their email is awful.

In anticipation of your reaction that I am being less than helpful, here's another option for you (which I cannot verifiy AOL allows you to do, since I wouldn't be caught dead using it). You could forward all your AOL mail to a better email service. There are lots of free ones online. Then just retireve from this other account and set your reply to field as your AOL address.
    That's interesting and no offense taken. The thing is, I happen to love AOL and since I get it for free, I have no reason to get rid of it.

AOL is not my ISP, but rather my local cable company is. I just use AOL's software. I also love AOL email. I don't even have a single email account through my cable modem service as I do not like Outlook. I tried it a few times, and it's simply not for me even though I am in IT. I know, I know. Go figure.

At any rate, you brought up that AOL's email is awful. Why do you say that and what exactly do you mean by that? I am very curious as to why you think so.

Thanks for your response.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude
    That's interesting and no offense taken. The thing is, I happen to love AOL and since I get it for free, I have no reason to get rid of it.
    I guess that's good for you....I personally would have to be paid a lot of $$$$ to use it.
    AOL is not my ISP, but rather my local cable company is. I just use AOL's software. I also love AOL email. I don't even have a single email account through my cable modem service as I do not like Outlook. I tried it a few times, and it's simply not for me even though I am in IT. I know, I know. Go figure.
    So you have a cable modem....and you still oad AOL's bloated interface on top of it to surf the web? Why??? Just curious what you like about it that makes it worth the extra overhead? Every machine I have ever touched that had AOL software installed was unstable as hell. Granted, I haven't looked at it in a few years...thankfully. Anyone who asks for my help now knows that if AOL is installed, i'll respectfully decline.

Outlook? Ewww. Get Firefox and Thunderbird. Or use your cable company's web inteface (I think all of them offer one these days).
    At any rate, you brought up that AOL's email is awful. Why do you say that and what exactly do you mean by that? I am very curious as to why you think so.
    Granted, i haven't seen it in years, so maybe it is better than I remember, but....aren't you here posting about a problem with it now??

I remember issues in the past with many types of file attachments, and ridiculous amounts of spam (@aol.com is a pretty obvious target for spammers).

Search the boards, there have been many others with AOL mail issues.
    - Albert Einstein
    Is the email your GF uses POP or IMAP? I think your problems are related to the way VersaFAIL works with the AOL implementation of IMAP. I too was a heavy AOL mail user, although I have seen the light and moved on to Everyone.net for my email. I still have my AOL/AIM mail account, and when I did use VersaFAIL it was buggy all the time.

Now you say you have been a Chatter and Snapper mail user. Why on earth are you stuck on VersaFAIL? Chatter is far superior to VersaFAIL in every way. It may not be as pretty, but feature wise it blows VersaFAIL away.

Do yourself a favor, forget VersaFAIL and go back to using Chatter for your AOL email needs. I use Chatter for 2 Everyone.net IMAP accounts, 2 AOL IMAP accounts and 2 GMAIL POP accounts and have ZERO problems.

If you want a pleasureable email experience, check out Everyone.net. They have great IMAP support, a very nice clean web interface for checking and managing mail and it works flawlessly with my three means of checking email, Chatter, Thunderbird and Outlook Express. Everyone.net is also cheaper then AOL. A yearly subscription plus an increase in mail storage is less then half the cost of AOL over the course of a year.
    Last edited by cgordonn; 04/15/2006 at 08:54 AM.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  7.    #7  
    Awesome responses. Thanks to both of you. You've both been very specific, so I want to address each point as I am REALLY looking for these anwers. Alright, so here it goes for ExtraOrdinaryJo:

So you have a cable modem....and you still oad AOL's bloated interface on top of it to surf the web? Why??? Just curious what you like about it that makes it worth the extra overhead? Every machine I have ever touched that had AOL software installed was unstable as hell. Granted, I haven't looked at it in a few years...thankfully. Anyone who asks for my help now knows that if AOL is installed, i'll respectfully decline.
    You're right. AOL 9.0 SE is a memory hog but I just like it. I have a Pentium M at 1.86GHz with 1GB of RAM running at 533MHz, so I figure that should cover it. As far stability, I can't complain at all, it never crashes on me and I guess I've just gotten used to the interface. And again, I don't pay for it, so that part is a no-brainer.

Outlook? Ewww. Get Firefox and Thunderbird. Or use your cable company's web inteface (I think all of them offer one these days).
    Here's the deal with that. I move around a lot and my AOL always travels with me. If I got all kinds of email accounts with my cable company, they'd be canceled once I move again and I don't want to go through notifying everyone of my new email adresses. It's more convenient and seamless with AOL. And I don't want to end up with a hotmail account if you know what I mean.

Granted, i haven't seen it in years, so maybe it is better than I remember, but....aren't you here posting about a problem with it now??
    Maybe a misunderstanding but I have zero problems with AOL mail. The ONLY problem I have is the apparent incompatibility with Versamail and AOL mail.

I remember issues in the past with many types of file attachments, and ridiculous amounts of spam (@aol.com is a pretty obvious target for spammers).
    The spam I also cannot complain about. Maybe 1-2% of my main AOL mail account is spam. The rest is legit.

Search the boards, there have been many others with AOL mail issues.
    When you say problems with AOL mail issues, do you mean with AOL in general, or retrieving AOL mail over a Treo?
    Exactly!! As I said, I've never had a problem with AOL mail, except with retrieving it using Versamail. Chatter and Snappermail work fine with it, including large attachments.

And now cgordonn:

Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    Is the email your GF uses POP or IMAP? I think your problems are related to the way VersaFAIL works with the AOL implementation of IMAP. I too was a heavy AOL mail user, although I have seen the light and moved on to Everyone.net for my email. I still have my AOL/AIM mail account, and when I did use VersaFAIL it was buggy all the time.
    Her email account is with our cable company (see above) and it uses IMAP. There are no problems with the cable company's email and Versamail.

Now you say you have been a Chatter and Snapper mail user. Why on earth are you stuck on VersaFAIL? Chatter is far superior to VersaFAIL in every way. It may not be as pretty, but feature wise it blows VersaFAIL away.
    Agreed. Chatter and Snappermail give me ZERO problems with my AOL mail. They both work flawlessly. I am just one of those guys who has to know WHY doesn't Versamail not work as well. I realize it has a horrible reputation in this and other forums. I am partial to Snapper, by the way. I think it's great. Some people say it has bugs (headers being cut off, etc.) but I don't seem to experience those bugs or they don't affect me or I don't know what I'm looking for. Would you be able to elaborate on that?

If you want a pleasureable email experience, check out Everyone.net. They have great IMAP support, a very nice clean web interface for checking and managing mail and it works flawlessly with my three means of checking email, Chatter, Thunderbird and Outlook Express. Everyone.net is also cheaper then AOL. A yearly subscription plus an increase in mail storage is less then half the cost of AOL over the course of a year.
    I took a quick glance at everyone.net and it does look neat. You get your own domain name just for email without having a website? What level of service do you guys recommend? It definitely looks cool and I am into cool things.

Again, thanks to both of you for some very detailed responses. I love it. I can't wait to get some more insight for my above mentioned inquiries.

I've used (tried using) Versamail with the free IMAP/AIM account (as well as the trials of Snapper and Chatter). I used the "AIM" account, but I'd be willing to bet the AOL/IMAP uses the same implementation. Here's what I've found:

1. Snapper: Works fine. Its just annoying because it lacks a "true" background sync/fetch. So-so on battery usage.
    2. Chatter: Works fine. Depending on the number of accounts and settings (I had an IMAP and POP3), it may be a bit harsh on battery life.
    3. Versamail: The problem I found was that it would only sync the last 9 messages from my IMAP/AIM account. As an example:

a. IMAP/AIM account already set up and in use. Account has 20 emails in it.
    b. Set up new account for AIM in Versa.
    c. Versa downloads the 9 most recent emails. In addition, because (I believe) it is not fully in sync, I often got the infamous "Timeout reading body" errors.

The only solution I found (in terms of using/sticking with Versa), was to migrate to a POP3 account. The only other solution (in terms of sticking with the IMAP account), is to use Snapper or Chatter.

Sorry I can't offer any better advice, but after a lot of experimentation, I couldn't find any fix/workaround.
    ...Awesome responses. Thanks to both of you. You've both been very specific, so I want to address each point as I am REALLY looking for these anwers...And now cgordonn: ...I took a quick glance at everyone.net and it does look neat. You get your own domain name just for email without having a website? What level of service do you guys recommend? It definitely looks cool and I am into cool things. ...
    CrunchDude,
    I was a long time AOL user, 10+ years. Like you, I was reluctant to leave AOL because it gave me exactly what I needed and I didnt want the hassle of changing email acounts. Late last year my Norton subscription expired and I decided to give the AOL Safety and Security Center a try. For three months the software worked great, then after an automatic update I started having all kinds of problems.

Efforts to get the problems resolved with AOL tech support proved to be useless. AOL's tech support was PATHETIC, from dealing with tech support in India most of the time and on rare occasions here in the US, they were all a bunch of IDIOTS. My problems and dealings with AOL tech support went on for an additional 2 months. Then, I said to myself...self, its time to dump AOL...F-em!

I looked into Everyone.net because thats who the developer of ChatterEmail uses for his emailtreo service. I liked what I saw, registered my domain names with NetSol and cancelled AOL (upon the cancellation of my AOL service, AOL converted my AOL email accounts to AIM email accounts).

I have the Personal Mail service ($34.99) with Everyone.net + Personal Support ($14.99). This is billed on an annual basis. Service has been rock solid. On a shared PC at home I have Outlook Express set up for use with IMAP, on my laptop I have Thunderbird and of course on my Treo ChatterEmail. Plus, should I not have access to either of these three devices, I can always sign into the Everyone.net web interface. With IMAP, I am always in sync with my mail no matter how I access it.

I am happy with my move away from AOL and have not looked back. Everyone.net has a 14 day money back policy, so if you want to try it out you can do so without penalty.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Here's the deal with that. I move around a lot and my AOL always travels with me. If I got all kinds of email accounts with my cable company, they'd be canceled once I move again and I don't want to go through notifying everyone of my new email adresses. It's more convenient and seamless with AOL. And I don't want to end up with a hotmail account if you know what I mean.
    Try disposable email addresses. I use www.spamgourmet.com , but there are others. You can create "on the fly" email addresses for web sites, etc. and you can create a list of trusted senders. Just add all your contacts as trusted senders, give them the address of your choosing and you won't have to worry about changing your email address (after the first time)...since they won't be sending directly to it anyway. It's a neat solution...check it out!
    - Albert Einstein
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgspda
    I've used (tried using) Versamail with the free IMAP/AIM account (as well as the trials of Snapper and Chatter). I used the "AIM" account, but I'd be willing to bet the AOL/IMAP uses the same implementation. Here's what I've found:

1. Snapper: Works fine. Its just annoying because it lacks a "true" background sync/fetch. So-so on battery usage.
    2. Chatter: Works fine. Depending on the number of accounts and settings (I had an IMAP and POP3), it may be a bit harsh on battery life.
    3. Versamail: The problem I found was that it would only sync the last 9 messages from my IMAP/AIM account. As an example:

a. IMAP/AIM account already set up and in use. Account has 20 emails in it.
    b. Set up new account for AIM in Versa.
    c. Versa downloads the 9 most recent emails. In addition, because (I believe) it is not fully in sync, I often got the infamous "Timeout reading body" errors.
    That's EXACTLY what l'm experiencing. Well, that's it then I guess. Versamail and AOL don't like each other. Too bad, but nobody can seemingly come up with a workaround or fix of some kind?
  12.    #12  
    CrunchDude,
    I was a long time AOL user, 10+ years. Like you, I was reluctant to leave AOL because it gave me exactly what I needed and I didnt want the hassle of changing email acounts. Late last year my Norton subscription expired and I decided to give the AOL Safety and Security Center a try. For three months the software worked great, then after an automatic update I started having all kinds of problems.

Efforts to get the problems resolved with AOL tech support proved to be useless. AOL's tech support was PATHETIC, from dealing with tech support in India most of the time and on rare occasions here in the US, they were all a bunch of IDIOTS. My problems and dealings with AOL tech support went on for an additional 2 months. Then, I said to myself...self, its time to dump AOL...F-em!

I looked into Everyone.net because thats who the developer of ChatterEmail uses for his emailtreo service. I liked what I saw, registered my domain names with NetSol and cancelled AOL (upon the cancellation of my AOL service, AOL converted my AOL email accounts to AIM email accounts).

I have the Personal Mail service ($34.99) with Everyone.net + Personal Support ($14.99). This is billed on an annual basis. Service has been rock solid. On a shared PC at home I have Outlook Express set up for use with IMAP, on my laptop I have Thunderbird and of course on my Treo ChatterEmail. Plus, should I not have access to either of these three devices, I can always sign into the Everyone.net web interface. With IMAP, I am always in sync with my mail no matter how I access it.

I am happy with my move away from AOL and have not looked back. Everyone.net has a 14 day money back policy, so if you want to try it out you can do so without penalty.
    I have experienced the same problem with AOL's Safety and Security Center. If you were still with AOL, I'd post the very easy workaround for that. And you're right, their tech support is not that useful, but I don't really have any problems with AOL, so I don't need them. And calling in and getting these FREAKS who you can barely understand is pathetic. The trick for that is following the prompts to "cancel service" and you'll get an American on the line in TWO SECONDS. That goes for a lot of U.S. companies outsourcing jobs, by the way. The reason is obvious. Retaining a customer is important.

As for the everyone.net, it really looks cool. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
  13.    #13  
    Try disposable email addresses. I use www.spamgourmet.com , but there are others. You can create "on the fly" email addresses for web sites, etc. and you can create a list of trusted senders. Just add all your contacts as trusted senders, give them the address of your choosing and you won't have to worry about changing your email address (after the first time)...since they won't be sending directly to it anyway. It's a neat solution...check it out!
    Thanks, dude...Is it comparable to everyone.net? I really liked what I read so far about that service.

As for keeping AOL, I like AOL and I actually really like AOL's email setup as it keeps everything on the server instead of downloading it. I can, of course, but I NEVER download my email. I like that when I get a new email, it pops up right away, so that I can read it, instead of having to do a "Send/Receive" constantly like my girlfriend has to with her Outlook. Plus, it comes with McAfee Virusscan, firewall and spamkiller software for FREE! That used to be an AOL premium feature.