1.    #1  
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...n-the-palm-os/

"QO Communications has announced immediate availability of EQO Mobile for Skype. This move finally brings the ability for the Palm OS and Treo smartphones to take advantage of Skype Internet telephony for mobile voice communications.

EQO Mobile for Skype lets users make and receive calls, send Instant Messages, and view presence information about their buddies over the Skype network. It is available for free to consumers as a Beta product via the EQO (pronounced "echo") web site.

To get started you need a Skype account, a Palm OS device that can connect to the internet, Windows XP/2000 and a broadband connection. EQO states the Treo 650, 600 and 700w are supported devices"

http://www.palm-dubai.net/001/2006/0...o_skype_w.html
    I posted how I thought this service works over at TreoBits.

The one requirement that might not be obvious to some is that it requires a Skype account with SkypeOut Credits. It also requires software to be installed on both your PC running Skype and your Treo. So, it's not exactly a one to one Skype connection. The application on the Treo will use a little bit of data, but the actual conversation happens over a wireless voice network instead of over the wireless data network. This solution may or may not be appealing to some because I believe this would still use your minutes. It also wouldnt' work if you only had a WiFi connection. The one advantage I see with this solution is that international calling would be cheaper since I'd assume you'd be making/answering a local call.
    With that said it could be a useful solution to some people, but it's not the perfect Skype solution for the Treo.
  3.    #3  
    Doesn't Skype only support chat with Skype users not third parties using Google Talk, MSN Messenger, etc? If so then I would prefer to either see VeriChat offer VOIP cross protocol service or have an open source messenger which is free such as Open Wengo http://openwengo.com/ be ported to mobile devices such as the Treo. Even Gaim http://gaim.sourceforge.net/ developers are working on VOIP. So if they can provide this with the open source chat messenger and later port it to ALP (Access Linux Platform) it would give Treo customers another low cost messenger solution.
    Has anyone tried EQOMobile now in beta? It allows you to make skype calls via the 650. I think it works as a relay between the 650 and a desktop skype client. In other words you initiate a call request from your handheld which gets the desktop client to call both the party you wish to speak to and your handheld. It works fairly well. Download it at www.eqo.com.
    Sharp Zaurus >> Phillips Nino >> Visor Edge >> Visor Phone >> Nokia 8860 >> Samsung i300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 680

In an abundance of water a fool is thristy.
    I'm curious about this - though I don't have skype so I can't test it. I'll stay tuned for opinions.
    Visit my smartphone website :
    Smartphone Reviews
    Reviews & news on all smartphones - including the Treo line.
    Yes, it works fine. No dropped calls, sound clear as a whistle yada yada, but it's setup to still use normal phone minutes. So in essence you are being charged twice!! Pretty pointless if you ask me, unless maybe you were calling internationally.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxSwank
    Yes, it works fine. No dropped calls, sound clear as a whistle yada yada, but it's setup to still use normal phone minutes. So in essence you are being charged twice!! Pretty pointless if you ask me, unless maybe you were calling internationally.
    Right! International calling would make it worthwile. Also better for people that have free incoming calls... you could save all your minutes!!!

Works ok... the UI is slow on the Palm and the quality so so. It did work satisfactory calling a Nextel phone internationally from my 650
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    <merged>