Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    I had a curious question from an elderly friend today. He needs a cel phone for emergencies only, and doesn't want to pay a monthly subscription rate. He'd like to have a Treo for its PDA functions. He asked me if it was possible to get one free of a lengthy service contract and use prepurchased minutes with it.

I don't know the answer to that. Does anyone know whether, and how, one might acquire a Treo that would work that way?

Thanks!
    Brian
    Unlocked GSM version is what your friend needs.
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    By purchasing phone cards?
    Brian
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    ...that'd be great.
    Brian
    From Palm: http://web.palm.com/promos/2free_accessories.jhtml?creativeID=LFB|treo650_unlocked_2free_accessories

he will need a gsm sim card. If he wants data, I think cingular would be his best option. T-mo togo is great, but no data plan.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    ...whether a Treo can be used without a plan, by buying minutes somehow, as in from a phone card company, or something like that.
    Brian
    A treo sounds like 20 times more than this guy needs...you should be able to walk into CompUSA or whatever and grab a GSM phone with prepaid minutes for well under $100.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    "He'd like to have a Treo for its PDA functions."
    Brian
    Sure he can do it. In addition to my Cingular account with data plan, I keep a pre-paid TMobile sim in my wallet for those occasions Cingular coverage might be poor. Works great!
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    I'm Going to Rodderdam this summer and bought off Ebay a Almost New Unlocked Treo 600 for $175 including the shipping. First I put in a AT&T Sim from one of my Sons and that worked fine then I bought a Cingular 60 Minute Sim and that works fine. My other son has sent us a Sim from the Netherlands. So after our flight leaves All I have to do is switch over the Sims. I'm on a Sprint with a TREO 650 so all my contacts are in Sync After our trip I should be able to recover most of my outlay on Ebay.
    I use a Verizon T650 phone on a pay as you go plan. Long story on how I got the phone but I do it.

I dont however have or want data.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    there are a few places you can get prepaid gsm cards in the US too....

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/usa.html
    Treo 650... 2 broken screens, doesn't sync well, and a jacked up audio jack, but it's still better than anything i've seen so far.