1.    #1  
    Hi ya all...
    I was thinking to switch from my Treo650 to the BB 8700g just for the push-email. Now I saw the soon a new release of VersaMail will be released that will support BB connect. Just one question. When our Treos will support this push-email service, will it be available only for those who use Blackberry Enterprise Server or also for the Blackberry Internet Service. In this last case, I can subscribe with my operator for BIS and setup the service the retrieve my private and work email account.

Sorry maybe for the stupid question but I don't have clear ideas regarding BB services and the way they work.

Thanks, Diego
    If all you are looking for is push mail from your own accounts, have you looked into Chatter? No need for extra surcharges.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I think it depends on your carrier.

It has me a little concerned that Palm is saying it is ready, but carriers have to approve it. Why? IF I have BES, and have full internet access from my carrier, why do thay need to be involved? Just give me the damn client.

I got a feeling, that carriers are going to charge you extra for this even if you have internet access already. If so, it probably geared toward using both BES and BIS.

BTW, I have an unlocked/unbranded phone on T-mo, so where does that leave me?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    IF I have BES, and have full internet access from my carrier, why do thay need to be involved? Just give me the damn client.
    My question, exactly! Admittedly I don't know much about how this stuff works, but it seems a lot more straightforward than the information that's starting to filter out.
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    I asked the same question. The Good guy gave a sensible, albeit frustrating, answer. The BBC is integrated into versafail....which is customized (to some degree) by the carriers. So they need to supply a new version, most likely via a firmware upgrade. Since they won't be doing that for the 650 with the pending release of the 700.....I belive we 650 users are SOL unless someone manages to extract it from the 700 when it is released and we are able to put it in a custom ROM...

But I am no longer holding my breath that the carriers will give it to us for the 650s. Friggin bastards. :thumbsdown:
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    If you want to believe what my companies Cingular rep told me....the GSM treo 650 will not get BB Connect. It will be on the next Treo. I switched from the 650 to a 8700c and love it. We have full wireless sync and since I was never a Treo power user the BB does everything I need.
    I looked at the 8700c, but don't want to have to pay for BlackBerry service to connect to my SMTP/POP mail accounts. Plus it doesn't have camera or external memory (SD), so forget trying to watch movies or play MP3s. That pretty much ruled it out as a replacement for my Treo 650. I still have about a year to go before my replacement/upgrade window is here, so I'll wait until then to see what my options are. By then the Moto Q will have been out a while and the Palm 700w & p should be available to the other carriers.
    It's getting closer. . . . . . . posted today at www.treonauts.com. . . . .

First BlackBerry Connect Treos Released

As I wrote back in February from the 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona, the PalmOS and Windows Mobile versions of RIM’s BlackBerry Connect for Treo have been ready for a while now but without the benefit of a launch by any US carrier.

Late last month Palm’s CEO Ed Colligan confirmed this and noted that “In partnership with RIM, we completed the core client software for Blackberry Connect on the Treo 650. [And] Interested carriers are now in the process of certification testing.”

Considering the delays to date [attributed to RIM’s patent dispute with NTP] it is perhaps not surprising that even now the first carrier to finally have released BlackBerry Connect for a Treo is not in the US but instead in Asia where SingTel yesterday jointly with Palm announced the immediate availibility of BlackBerry Connect for the Treo 650.

According to the press release: “BlackBerry Connect for the Treo 650 smartphone enables users to benefit from many popular features of the BlackBerry "push"-based architecture via BlackBerry Enterprise Server. For corporate customers, BlackBerry Enterprise Server software tightly integrates with Microsoft Exchange and IBM Lotus Domino and works with existing enterprise systems to enable secure, push-based wireless access to email and other corporate data.”

BlackBerry Connect for the Treo 650 smartphone supports the following features:

"Push" Corporate Email delivers messages automatically -- and wirelessly -- to the Treo 650 smartphone's VersaMail(R) inbox. Changes to the inbox, including read/unread status and deletion, are automatically synchronized between the user's PC and the Treo 650.
    Wireless Calendar Synchronization keeps the Treo 650 smartphone's built-in Calendar up to date remotely, allowing users to receive, accept or decline meeting requests on the go.
    Attachment Viewing lets users view Excel, Word, PowerPoint and PDF documents while on the road.(1)
    Remote Address Lookup (RAL) allows users to search their corporate directory wirelessly for email addresses without the need to download every name to the Treo 650.
    Extends the benefits of BlackBerry Enterprise Server to the Treo 650, including centralized device management; IT policies, such as over-the-air device disablement and password device lock; and Triple DES encryption, supporting end-to-end security.
    Interestingly, even though many other ‘push’ email solutions aside from RIM’s BlackBerry are entering the competitive field, a Standard & Poor’s Equity Research analyst promptly upgraded shares of Palm from “hold” to “buy” stating that “We have long believed that a push e-mail service was key to broader adoption of the Treo” adding also that “Palm has become more flexible in opening up its Treo platform, first with Microsoft Windows Mobile and now with BlackBerry.”

Evidently what I and most Treonauts would really like to know now is when Verizon, Sprint and Cingular plan to finally release their own versions…

SingTel is World's First Carrier to Offer BlackBerry Connect for Palm Treo 650 Smartphone [Palm Press Release]
    Blackberry Available On Palm Treo For First Time [Forbes.com]

Treonauts always want instant connections…

Posted by Andrew on April 13, 2006 at 02:55 PM in SW | eMail | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack (0)
    So now we don't have to wait to extract it from the 700p
    we just need to get it from a singtel 650....
    went digging for the files and stumbled on this from singtel's site

Treo 650 (supports BlackBerry Enterprise Solutions only)
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    went digging for the files and stumbled on this from singtel's site

Treo 650 (supports BlackBerry Enterprise Solutions only)
    Fine by me and my BES / Lotus Notes corporate situation.

Just get me the darn .prc file already
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi
    Fine by me and my BES / Lotus Notes corporate situation.

Just get me the darn .prc file already
    Same here!
    elbastardocalvo
    It seems inpossible to find this program. I wonder how SG users who already have a Treo are getting the file?
    has anyone grabbed the singapore version of firmware 1.20 dated march 30th
    wondering if it still has the same typo as the american with versamail 3.1F

if it is in fact 3.1F maybe the bbConnect is already there....
    Nevermind...tight reins, since it only handles BES right now only the business accounts will have access to it

"The BlackBerry Connect functionality is available today for existing and new SingTel Treo 650 customers through SingTel business representatives. "
    I personally switched from several Blackberries to the Treo 650. I have an ongoing flirtation with the BB 8700 after fooling around with one at work. No camera, and no external storage are the deal breakers for me, especially the lack of storage. I have a Windows Mobile phone (Audiovox SMT5600) that takes a mini-SD card inserted under the battery. Why Blackberry won't do this is beyond me.

As far as Blackberry Connect goes, who needs it? As a business user I'd much prefer GoodLink. As a home user my current solution, Chattermail, is superb. It does push email like the BB, checks as many email accounts as I want to use, handles attachments with aplomband and is super stable. Why mess with BB Connect?
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    As far as Blackberry Connect goes, who needs it? As a business user I'd much prefer GoodLink. As a home user my current solution, Chattermail, is superb. It does push email like the BB, checks as many email accounts as I want to use, handles attachments with aplomband and is super stable. Why mess with BB Connect?
    You've asked this before....and I answered before. Please go back and read responses to your previous posts.

For various reasons some people do not have a choice. Some companies support Blackberry ONLY. Good and Chatter are not always options.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Apparently the following post is against the rules, but here it goes anyway:

Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is XXXXX and I will be assisting you with your inquiry regarding Blackberry Connect for Treo™ 650.

I understand that you want to know when will the Blackberry Connect be available for Treo 650 Unlocked version. Please be informed that we expect the solution to be available in the United States and internationally starting in early calendar 2006 but we still don’t have the exact dates on when will it be released. For now, please visit the links below to see the latest information about this not-yet-released product.

http://www.palm.com/us/enterprise/products/blackberry_connect.html

A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you shortly. Please take time to provide us with your feedback about this support experience as it will help us in our on-going effort to continually improve our services.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. You can also find more information about Palm products, including troubleshooting articles and frequently asked questions at:

http://www.palm.com/us/support

Thank you for choosing Palm.

Sincerely,
    XXXXXX
    Palm Technical Support

No written advice or information sent to you by Palm may be resent, distributed or posted on any media accessible to the public (including, but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board) without Palm's prior written consent.

While every effort has been made to ensure the advice or information provided to you by our Technical Support Center is correct at the time of transmission, Palm does not accept any responsibility for errors or omissions. Any advice or information provided by Palm to you via any form of communication is not a guarantee that it will correct your problem; it is only offered as assistance to you. You are advised to back up all data stored on your product on a regular basis and always before changing software configuration or, when possible, before sending the product for repair. Palm will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, faults, loss of data or other reactions suffered as a result of advice or information supplied.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.