1.    #1  
    Has anyone installed Boot Camp yet?

I just need another copy of windows XP so I can install it on my iMac. As I have a few programs that run on windows, it will be useful to be able to dual boot, though 95% of the time I will be in OSX - sooo much nicer than win xp.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Havent gone all the way yet..but the forums on the apple.com board are full of folks who are playing around with bootcamp.
    I also need to get xp service pack2.
    I haven't bough a MBP yet, but please let us know how it turns out.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    I have a mac book pro with the 2.16 dual core, windows xp, and bootcamp installed pretty easily, bluetooth syncing, and palm desktop still work fine, as does bluetooth DUN
    Quote Originally Posted by wdbutcher
    I have a mac book pro with the 2.16 dual core, windows xp, and bootcamp installed pretty easily, bluetooth syncing, and palm desktop still work fine, as does bluetooth DUN
    Do you mean they work in windows?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzarascal
    Do you mean they work in windows?
    I've now taken the plunge & when installing Boot camp discovered that I had a problem with my HD. I ran the disk utility which fixed the problem and the rest went smoothly. XP is much faster on the iMac than on any other pc I have seen. It even runs my Visioneer onetouch 8700 USB scanner which is not supported on macs as it is a parallel port wired inside version! My Treo syncs ok, but palm desktop doesn't support dates prior to 1970. Bluetooth syncing is a neat feature, but painfully slow, so I'm not even going to try getting it to work. (works on OSX with missing sync5.1)

What I can do now is update to 1.20 via windows!, unfortunately, 1.20 Bluetooth has been fixed so it now doesn't work with my BT carkit! so maybe I'll stick with 1.13.
    Bootcamp works great on MBP. Unfortunately, it is MBP that has some issues with QC. I am on a third unit in 10 days (thank goodness for having Apple Store near by!), but that is totally another subject.

What I have done is to partition the HDD allocating 25gb to Windows partition and installed XP Pro and Windows applications. All of my data files are on OS X partition with access from both OS. Since most of the files I deal with are cross platform anyway (MS Office, JPG, PDF, PSD and so on files), this made a lot of sense. While OS X will give you the ability to read and write to FAT32 partition, XP will not recognize the OSX partition so I installed a small app called "MacDrive" that enable the XP side to read and write from/to Mac partition. Very handy...

All that said, I have a delima about which side to sync my 650. I currently sync on a desktop PC and am used to dealing with Outlook calendar and contacts and so on. What is your thoughts on converting over to OSX and using iCal and Address Book? Does Entourage allow you to send meeting notices to Outlook users and handle calendar in a similar way? I realize its called Project Manager on Mac side and has additional features.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Regards,
  8.    #8  
    I'm syncing with OSX at the moment, but tested it with win xp & palm desktop. I don't have another copy of MS office for windows, so I can't use outlook etc.

I use missing sync and the built in apps ical, addressbook etc and seems to be ok I have not used entourage as I have multiple addresses for my contacts and it doesn't support it. I'm new to macs and just feeling my way at the moment - re-educating myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgkg3
    All of my data files are on OS X partition with access from both OS. Since most of the files I deal with are cross platform anyway (MS Office, JPG, PDF, PSD and so on files), this made a lot of sense. While OS X will give you the ability to read and write to FAT32 partition, XP will not recognize the OSX partition so I installed a small app called "MacDrive" that enable the XP side to read and write from/to Mac partition. Very handy...
    Wow, you can have a partition/folder ? that you can access from both OS's?! If so, that is VERY nice! Did you have to partition 3 sections or just 2?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Just 2 partitions.

One for Mac OS X (out of the box), and one I created using Bootcamp. Make sure that you create FAT32 partition (and not NTFS), and stay within FAT32 limit (<32mb) partition for Windows side. Some people actually made 32mb partition by selecting it in Bootcamp but it actually partitions greater than 32mbs so try not to go over 30mb.

Since I get may files from others on Windows XP, I cannot operate just in the Mac side of things. Also I did not want to duplicate files so my set up is quite ideal at the moment.

Just be mindful that XP side can get virus and spyware so use protection. While some of the self executing worms are only applicable to XP side, some of the embedded viruses that comes in image files or Office files can affect the Mac side once released from XP side (because mac files are now recognized by XP side).

I did select Mac partition to keep the all the files.

Also, I am running ony Universal apps on the Mac side until the apps becomes universal. So apps like Word, PPT and XLS, is being run in XP side on my MBP! It is pretty impressive actually. I see no loss of speed from my Dell XPS Desktop computer....
    I hope you meant 32 gigabytes, not megabytes?
    You're right. he meant 32 gb. I installed boot camp on my MBP and gave 27 gigs to my Windows partition as well, so that I could use the FAT32 format.

If you give the partition any more space than 32gb, then you will be forced to format the partition to NTFS. The downside to NTFS is that it won't let you edit files from inside Mac OS: it will only let you read them.

Other than that. it works great with the Treo 650. I even used Bluetooth Dun this weekend, while I was in San Francisco.
    So all data partitions that you want shared would have to be FAT32....what we need now is a utility that will let mac see NTFS.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    So all data partitions that you want shared would have to be FAT32....what we need now is a utility that will let mac see NTFS.
    Mac OSX does see NTFS and can read from it. It just cannot write to it.

Thanks andrewsyage, yes I do mean gb and not mb...

Many people do use NTFS, instead of FAT32, because its technical advances. For me, I needed the ability to write into WinXP partition that made me use FAT32. Yes I do use MacDrive, which allows me to read and write from/to Mac partition using XP (so many people use this solution and NTFS), but the flexibility to do it from both sides was more value to me than NTFS.
    Good info.
    Can I use a two disc XP Pro/SP2 setup for the Bootcamp installation?

Thanks
    I don't think so. Many people have tried and they all appear to have some issues. Bootcamp is looking for a single disk with SP2 (CD and not DVD). Frankly, I don't recommend it, even if there is a way - why take on complications....

Try searching on:
    http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1165

This is Apple's Bootcamp forum.
    Use it, Love it, Got published in the NYT for it...

http://features.uneasysilence.com/mactel