Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I currently own a powerbook and am going to be switching to a new intel imac here shortly and was wondering how should i go about moving my treo to my mac. if i install the palm software on the new imac could i just perform a hotsync and select my user name which would do a handheld to computer sync? Just a little confused about this and i dont want to lose all of my stuff. Thanks for the help.

Ty
    Are you certain that the Intel Mac is supported by Palm?

If it will connect - my only suggestion would be to be certain to force the hot sync so that the Handheld overwrites the Desktop - just on the first sync but otherwise yes it should work. Then set all of the conduits to sync except either System or Backup which is always configured as Handheld overwrites Desktop.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    Are you certain that the Intel Mac is supported by Palm?

If it will connect - my only suggestion would be to be certain to force the hot sync so that the Handheld overwrites the Desktop - just on the first sync but otherwise yes it should work. Then set all of the conduits to sync except either System or Backup which is always configured as Handheld overwrites Desktop.
    The intel mac has a universal binary called rosetta that allows programs that havnt been dubbed "universal" to run on the intel processor so that shouldnt be a problem. Im just a little confused on how to go about syncing it for the first time still. The first step is obviously installing the software onto the computer and im unsure what to do after that....should i just sync it and will it ask me waht profile to use? A step by step would be great since im getting my new computer in a few days. Thanks a lot

Ty
    I'll have to give you the best step by step based upon my PC knowledge. I don't use Mac but the principle should be similar:

1. Install the Palm Desktop and when prompted for user name option - assign it your existing Treo's username however do not sync when prompted - tell it to ignore. It will bark at you and warn you that your data is not synced etc but that's fine.
    2. After the installation is complete (don't run anything else such as additional software installation etc). Then go into the Hot Sync Manager and choose Custom.
    3. From this custom menu - choose all of the conduits (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Memos) and set them to "Handheld overwrites Desktop". Do not change any of the other conduit configurations.
    4. Hot Sync - it will ask you to confirm or select the username, this should put all of the information onto your desktop application and maintain it on your Treo.
    5. Once you have successfully sync'd then go back into Hot Sync Manager and change the aforementioned conduits back to "Synchronize the files" and you should be good to go.

You can access the Hot Sync Manager one of two ways from a PC, either via the Hot Sync menu from within the Palm Desktop or via the Hot Sync icon located in the systray. I assume that the mac version has a similar hot sync manager icon or at the very least is available via the Desktop component.

I assume that
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    thanks for the help, i just ran into another problem though. i am also getting a replacement treo through cingular because mine has been making funny noises when people call me. How do i switch all my programs and what not to my new treo? my plan was to sync my current treo with palm when i get it on my computer as described above and then when i get my new treo just sync it with the conduits as "sync computer to handheld". my only concern is if it will transfer all my programs or if i will have to beam them. thanks again
    When you get the replacement, it will look like a hard reset - Here is where I'd have the "desktop overwrite the handheld". When you hit the hot sync button - it should ask you for which user (this only happens on the first sync typically because it's void).

So I guess on the Mac - it says "sync computer to handheld" would be the PC equivalent of Desktop overwrites Handheld.

Most programs will restore fine by doing so. There are a handful that will not and you may have to get new registration numbers but you should be able to tell the software developer that you've had a hardware replacement. So barring that, you should just hot sync and you'll be done.
    Moose Man
    Procedure for upgrading from one Palm Device to Another:

I am unfamiliar with the default install directory structure so I will yse what it would be on a PC and you can adapt from there.

1. Synch old Treo for last time.
    2. Go to Mac equivalent of C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username] and zip the entire folder. E-mail it to yourself, burn to CD whatever strilkes ya fancy to get it to new machine.
    3. Install Palm Desktop on new machine
    4. Hotsync new Treo
    5. Install ROM Update
    6. Unzip username folder into "Old Palm Files folder" on new box
    7. Copy the following files:

address.dat from OldPalmFiles\[your username]\address to Mac equivalent of C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\address
    memopad.dat from OldPalmFiles\Palm\[your username]\memopad to Mac equivalent of C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\memopad
    todo.dat from OldPalmFiles\[your username]\todo to Mac equivalent of C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\todo
    datebook.dat from OldPalmFile\[your username]\datebook to Mac equivalent of C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\datebook

8. Hotsync ... RTFM and use the phone this way for 3-7 days to make sure no issues. Download latest versions of all your programs in menatime. Get Dataviz tech tool.
    9. Install Northglide's Uninstall Manager to track your program installations.
    10. Install PowerRUN or an equivalent to move programs to card.
    11. Install Dataviz tech tool to move Docs2Go to card
    12. Install Programs from Palm CD ... one program at a time...that is one program per HotSync
    13. Again use for 3-4 days to look for problems.
    14. Go thru your programs list and rank programs from small and uncomplicated to big, heavy memory users. Any hacks or progranms that require they be installed in main memory best left to last. Again one program per Hotsync so UM can track what files go in with what program. Only reasoning here is that you can probably get away with installing 6-7 small , simple programs per day whereas something big or which ties into system calls should be left to last and be installed alone. This will better enable you to diagnose any conflicts.
    15. Install a few programs per day making sure no problems have surfaced, again starting with smallest/simplest to largest/most complicated.
    16. If you can manage, I'd leave biggies like TomTom, EDGE, Snapper /Chatter to last and install those last few 1 program a day.
    17. If at any point problems kick up, you can easily retrace your steps with UM to find the offending program.
    18. Make sure you have a backup progam installed. Check Best Utilities thread for listings and url's.
    19. This shoulda been listed earlier but any programs that tie themselves to a specific device will need new registration numbers.
    20. Delete the OLD C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\ directory not the new [B]PalmOne one you just created.

Jump back on TC with any questions and search the threads for answers. Most issues have been addressed previously and answers should be "ready and waiting" on the boards.