1.    #1  
    Has anyone had success synchronizing the Treo 650 with TimeMatters 5.0 (legal case management software)?

I just got a Verizon Treo 650 and am running TimeMatters 5.0 Enterprise on 4 computers at my office. As you probably suspected, I have been unable to get the software to sync with the 650 and instead I get the following message:

“Important PalmOne Desktop components are missing and prevent this handheld from synchronizing. Please download and install the PalmOne Desktop for your handheld from http://www.palmone.com/support before synchronizing.”

There are lots of rumors on the web that it is possible to sync TimeMatters 5.0 with the 650, but apparently you need to figure out some “trick” that tech support will not disclose (Palm because they “don’t support 3rd party applications” and TimeMatters because they want to sell you the TimeMatters version 7.0 upgrade instead).

From what I gather, the “trick” amounts to installing a prior version of the Palm software instead of the software that came with the phone (I believe the Treo 600 did sync with TimeMatters 5.0 and that the problems only started after they released the 650).

Has anyone had any luck with this issue?
  2.    #2  
    Life is good! After an exhaustive search on the web and many helpful posts, I was finally able to get my Treo 650 to synchronize with TimeMatters 5.0.

The trick (which essentially amounts to installing an older Palm Desktop instead of the one software that came on the Treo 650’s CD) was detailed by Tom Stubbs on the TimeMatters users group discussion board and I figured I would copy over the relevant details. So for anyone in the same boat, here’s what you need to do:

1. Uninstall the conduits from TimeMatters.

2. Uninstall the Palm Desktop using Add/Remove Programs.

3. Re-boot.

4. THIS IS THE KEY PART: Don't use the software included with the 650. Instead, download the executable file (for the Palm Desktop for Windows) at http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...reo600_dl.html

5. Launch the executable.

6. When the question arises during installation, indicate that you will use third-party conduits.

7. During the installation, you have to do a synch. Do it.

8. Open TimeMatters and install the conduits.

9. Exit and then re-start the Hotsync manager.

10. Run the synch.

11. Count the money you saved by not upgrading to TM 7.0 (I added that last part)

FWIW- Tom had some additional steps which had to do with removing references to “Palm” in the Registry- but I am too chicken to mess with the Registry and the steps above worked fine for me.

TM 7.0 does add the ability to synchronize your matters with the Treo which would be nice, but for now I am happy to be able to sync. my contacts and events.
    I also have TimeMatters 5.0 and could not sync. I have gotten it to sync through the HotsynchWizard in the Palm directory. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it will no work and yesterday it knocked out some System32 files. Ouch!

TimeMatters tech solution was to spend several hundred $$$ to upgrade to 7 but I have no need to upgrade.

TM techs said to sync to Outlook 2003 and then to TM> Hold on a minute! If a 3 year old MS Outlook can sync then the TM 5.0 should be able to sync. To me it is a Timematters problem and should be solved without me spending several hundred $$$.

I found your posting through a Goggle search but I am not a Treo user I am a Palm TX user. I get the exact error message as you.

Where and how did you find another version of Palm Hotsynch? I would guess that the work around will be good for a TX.

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by DGelinas
    Life is good! After an exhaustive search on the web and many helpful posts, I was finally able to get my Treo 650 to synchronize with TimeMatters 5.0.

The trick (which essentially amounts to installing an older Palm Desktop instead of the one software that came on the Treo 650’s CD) was detailed by Tom Stubbs on the TimeMatters users group discussion board and I figured I would copy over the relevant details. So for anyone in the same boat, here’s what you need to do:

1. Uninstall the conduits from TimeMatters.

2. Uninstall the Palm Desktop using Add/Remove Programs.

3. Re-boot.

4. THIS IS THE KEY PART: Don't use the software included with the 650. Instead, download the executable file (for the Palm Desktop for Windows) at http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...reo600_dl.html

5. Launch the executable.

6. When the question arises during installation, indicate that you will use third-party conduits.

7. During the installation, you have to do a synch. Do it.

8. Open TimeMatters and install the conduits.

9. Exit and then re-start the Hotsync manager.

10. Run the synch.

11. Count the money you saved by not upgrading to TM 7.0 (I added that last part)

FWIW- Tom had some additional steps which had to do with removing references to “Palm” in the Registry- but I am too chicken to mess with the Registry and the steps above worked fine for me.

TM 7.0 does add the ability to synchronize your matters with the Treo which would be nice, but for now I am happy to be able to sync. my contacts and events.