Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not but I will give it a go. I brought a 4 GB Secure Digital card for my Treo to find out that it is only a FAT 16 and can only support 2GB of space. Can anyone help me with a solution to be able to use the other 2GB of space or should this become the new card for me Digital Camera? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    chances are you should just use it for your camera. there is a way to hack the Treo so that it will recognize your 4GB card, however it's not recommended for Treocentral visitors who don't seem to have the time or patience to find the correct forum and/or likely did not try to search for previous postings on the matter.
    Chap

u have to flash the rom with a custom ROM including Fat32.
    look HERE

And all I had to do was put "Fat 32 ROM" in the search field to get that link!! Search is your friend at treocentral!!

Welcome to the forum and good luck. I am using a 4 Gig card for the past mo and LOVE having all the space for movies, mp3s, etc. I flashed using one of James' custom roms.

Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Definitely suggest using the FAT32 hack, but only if you know what you're doing. You could end up in a endless reset. You will then need to know how to restore your phone with the bootloader. Also just a heads up, with a 4GB card you cannot record video with the camcorder app directly to the card.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Chap, if I were you I would use the 4GB card for the camera and purchase a 2GB card for the Treo. Using a FAT32 hack, or basically any hack could trash your phone if you do not know what you are doing.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    Definitely suggest using the FAT32 hack, but only if you know what you're doing. You could end up in a endless reset. You will then need to know how to restore your phone with the bootloader. Also just a heads up, with a 4GB card you cannot record video with the camcorder app directly to the card.
    I just tried and had no problem.

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    I just tried and had no problem.

Tried to record straight to the 4GB card or used the FAT32 hack?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Tried to record straight to the 4GB card or used the FAT32 hack?

eh, sorry!

I have the fat32 hack and I just recorded a video clip straight to my 4 gb sd card.
    I consider it the FAT32 Upgrade, not a "hack"

Besides, using the ROMTool to create custom ROMs couldn't be more easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by ido

eh, sorry!

I have the fat32 hack and I just recorded a video clip straight to my 4 gb sd card.
    recording video right to my 4 gb card from my treo works for me also, no problems......so far............??
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503
    recording video right to my 4 gb card from my treo works for me also, no problems......so far............??
    What brand cards are you guys using??? and how did u format it? I'm using 4gb Adata.
    i'm using a 4 gig transcend, and I formatted it right in the treo itself.

Damn it. Maybe it's time to sell my Adata.
    Sorry I'm confussed I have and use a 4gb every day and record to it with my video camera and have no problems. I also have not done the hack
    Ymeagle

Treo 700p Sprint Favorite apps in order: phone, navigator (tomtomGPS) , NV Backup, Docstogo, Versa, keycaps, minitones, PdaNet, Butler, palmPDF, volcare, AOL im, DA, BOLD MEANS FREE
    Quote Originally Posted by ymeagle
    Sorry I'm confussed I have and use a 4gb every day and record to it with my video camera and have no problems. I also have not done the hack
    Hmmm...did you purchase the phone from someone who probably installed FAT32 on it?
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    cash

ymeagle says he is using and recording but he doesn't say if he has 4 GB of usable capacity.

What say thee ymeagle? Does the 650 recognize the card as 4 GB?
    he said he's using "a 4gb" so I assume he meant sd card versus 2 2gb cards.

I have a Transcend 4GB with Fat32 installed and CANT record directly to the SD. FYI. Anybody ask Shadowmite if there's a fix for this?
    Ok definitely not a card issue. I now have both Adata and Transcend and am getting the same problem. It has to be the phone OR maybe the way I built my custom ROM. Can someone with a working phone explain on here how they flashed their ROM. I did the old fashion way of unzipping, removing/adding prc's, then zipping and using Shadowmites Romtool to create my custom ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    Ok definitely not a card issue. I now have both Adata and Transcend and am getting the same problem. It has to be the phone OR maybe the way I built my custom ROM. Can someone with a working phone explain on here how they flashed their ROM. I did the old fashion way of unzipping, removing/adding prc's, then zipping and using Shadowmites Romtool to create my custom ROM.
    does the phone recognize the entire 4gb?

i'm not sure the hack is bulletproof. while for the most part it worked ok for me (with a 2 gb card) the card performed poorly in some categories when formatted FAT32, especially in file deletion. i may try a 4gb card eventually but for the moment i'm using a 1gb card formatted regular FAT -- which the hack reads/writes very quickly indeed, far better than the regular file driver.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast