1.    #1  
    I found a couple of interesting failures.

Using RomTool from Grack.com, once I replaced FATFS with FAT32, I can no longer download rom back to the PC successfully. About 10 tries, the zip file is always corrupt.

After reflashing it to ENA120, (back to FATFS), download works and zip file is not corrupted and the PC can open it - replace it with FAT32, same corrupt zip file situation and PC can't open it.

Anyone running into the similar situation with re-downloading the rom after loading FAT32?

Interesting too is mmplayer isn't able to get to the fat32 files. Not sure why. Anyone run into this one?
    Rick

I know it should not make any difference, but it sounds like you are downloading your ROM as a ZIP file + the .md5 file.

Why not just download direct to a folder in the unzipped format?
    Or is this what you are doing but the download fails when it tries to write to your folder?

Most of us have converted to FAT32 without problems, so this is strange.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    I found a couple of interesting failures.

Using RomTool from Grack.com, once I replaced FATFS with FAT32, I can no longer download rom back to the PC successfully. About 10 tries, the zip file is always corrupt.

After reflashing it to ENA120, (back to FATFS), download works and zip file is not corrupted and the PC can open it - replace it with FAT32, same corrupt zip file situation and PC can't open it.

Anyone running into the similar situation with re-downloading the rom after loading FAT32?

Interesting too is mmplayer isn't able to get to the fat32 files. Not sure why. Anyone run into this one?
    I have never had this issue. I have had FAT32 the whole time I was beta testing the RomTool and after it was released to open Beta.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I have downloaded, altered, uploaded, you name it, ROM's with fat32 numerous times with no problem. On occassion, I have trouble getting my computer to recognize my Treo. But, a restart usually fixes that.
    I was getting the "reset loop" glitch when I tried to use a zip file to upload a custom ROM with the FAT32.prc file included in it. Didn't have any problems adding/removing apps with a zip file until then.

First, I thought it was because my Treo is a locked GSM from Cingular (1.51FW/1.17SW), and it had something to do with the 1.51 firmware version. Then, I used the directory upload option, and lo-and-behold, IT WORKED!!! So, if you haven't done so already, I recommend uploading the ROM from an uncompressed directory.
  6.    #6  
    I was downloading (From Treo to PC) using zip fromat, but uploading (from PC to Treo) using the uncompressed.

I decided to try something different -- Interesting thing I found is, it has nothing to do with FAT32.

1. Start with hard reset, now use palm updater to put up it to ENA120. Hard reset again, now the Treo is clean ENA120

2. Download Zip+MD5 from Treo. It works fine, the downloaded zip file will unzip aok

4. Unzip them into a different folder (this time, I did not make the FAT32 change)

5. Upload the just-unzipped files (and unchanged) to the Treo as a new rom

6. Download it back from Treo as zip+md5 just like in step 2 - now this file will not unzip.

Looks like the way upload zips it could be in a format not compatible with the way XP unzips it after XP got it back from the treo?

Rick
    Back to my original question, why download as zip+md5, just use the download direct to a folder method
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Maybe there is something I don't understand since I keep reading where people use the zip method instead of the directory method with the ROM Tool. I have found it to be much, much simpler to download and upload using the directory method. Am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    Maybe there is something I don't understand since I keep reading where people use the zip method instead of the directory method with the ROM Tool. I have found it to be much, much simpler to download and upload using the directory method. Am I missing something?
    No, I think that is the way it was designed to work. to get away from the zip method and the md5 mismatches that cause the reset loops.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

10.    #10  
    Directory (uncompress) is much easier.

As to ChasT's question, I guess I got used to doing it that way. Grab the rom from treo (zipped), unzip, modify, upload. I have a zip of the original that I can put away for backup.

It is still interesting that with the original ENA120, one can downloaded and unzip. Whereas, after using the directory-method to flash the rom, one can (re)download the zip but it wont unzip anymore.

MMPlayer looks like another problem. Once FAT32 is on, it can't read the SD and it doesn't matter whether the SD is FAT16 or FAT32.

At this time, I decided to go back to FAT16, since I do enjoy my mp3's every now and again. I should check with MMPlayer and see if they have an update...
    k, I have a VZW 650. Used the Grack tool to upload Fat32 and now the phone wont recognize any card put in it. anybody???
    anybody?
  12.    #12  
    After further experimentation...

It is how the SD card is formatted/named. I recall that FileZ read the card name incorrectly, so I decided to format the card using Treo. After doing that, MMPlayer read the Fat 16/32 card no problem. Futher experiment shows that just by renaming the SD card with the Treo does the trick. Cards formatted by XP seem to have incompatible name.

So, I am back to FAT32 (with Treo formatted SD).

Still, that left me with the puzzlement of why I can download the rom in zip format, but once after I upload the same rom using RomTool the Treo (using uncompressed), I cannot redownload the rom in zip and successfully unzip it again.

Apart from habit, I like zip because the of built in CRC error checking.
    just started using this tool. Awesome!

I have two questions:

1- I removed Real Player from my Treo 650. It has been removed successfully but when I rebooted my phone and checked to see if by removing Real Player I would get about 500KB extra space.. it still showed the same size before removing Real Player

2- Where do you get a new FAT32.PRC file? Or do I only rename the FATFS.PRC??
    Thank you greatly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ayyoub View Post
    just started using this tool. Awesome!

I have two questions:

1- I removed Real Player from my Treo 650. It has been removed successfully but when I rebooted my phone and checked to see if by removing Real Player I would get about 500KB extra space.. it still showed the same size before removing Real Player
    That's because it was removed from the space in the NVFS pre-allocated for the ROM. As I understand it (please, someone jump in here and correct me if this is wrong), the 650 actually has two portions of memory. There is 32MB of flash memory (the non-volatile storage that survives without power) and 32MB of RAM (gets wiped taking out the battery or on soft reset).

The flash chip is where program databases, other apps you've installed, and anything that needs to be persistent are stored and written to. The RAM is used for the active OS and programs while they're actually running.

The 32MB flash has around 7-9 MB (depending on the carrier branded version and how much they needed for their configuration) partitioned off to hold the zipped ROM image. This partition size doesn't change even if files are removed, and you can't add files to your ROM beyond this size (the size of the partition is what the RomTool reports as the maximum it will let you use for your custom ROM).

The remaining space on the flash chip is what the launcher "Info" shows as Free Space (around 22-24MB total). So, removing an app from your ROM image doesn't change that, since the ROM partition is still the same size. You're just creating unused space in that partition.

The files in the ROM image are decompressed into RAM when the Treo boots up. So, you are gaining more space in the RAM, since that component is no longer included. You can't normally get a view into how the RAM is being used, but MemInfo, a free tool (part of the PalmOS software development kit) will show you. You should notice about a 500KB increase in the "NVFS DB Cache (RAM) Total Size" value.

Hopefully this makes sense. It's difficult to describe.

Quote Originally Posted by ayyoub View Post
    2- Where do you get a new FAT32.PRC file? Or do I only rename the FATFS.PRC??
    Thank you greatly.
    It's a separate file. You delete FATFS.prc and just copy in FAT32.prc. You can find FAT32.prc in several places. Try this thread.
    Visor Platinum w/ VisorPhone > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile
    Yeah, you need to replace the file. You may need to reformat your SD card afterwards as well (I did: My phone didn't see my card after I replaced the FATFS file, so I put it in my PC's card reader, copied the files to my hard drive, and copied them back after formatting the card for FAT32. All's well now.