1.    #1  
    background: I have a Treo 650 on Verizion. Volumecare, Butler, Phone Technician are all installed.

I just installed Phone Technician to use an MP3 to alert me to incoming SMS.

When I test it using the start/stop button in Phone Technician, it sounds great. I am deaf but can hear a little with my hearing aids. I can hear it during test loud and clear (well as loud and clear as sounds ever get for me). However, when I actually get an incoming SMS, it seems like the volume of the MP3 is half of what it is during the test?

I have tried having volumecare set to override PT, have tried PT on its own, etc. The volume for incoming calls (which I never get since I use SMS only but I tested it for this problem) is great...sounds just as loud as it does during PT test.

Just the SMS loses its volume.

Any ideas??
    Last edited by serijules; 04/11/2006 at 09:32 AM. Reason: for some reason I can't spell this morning
    Are you using volume care pro which allow you to specifically increase the volume of Phone technician? that is what I had to do to get my mp3 ringtone via PT up to a reasonable volume.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  3.    #3  
    Im still on trial version, but I'm assuming this is pro because I can go in specifically and select PT to enable volume control but it doesn't seem to do anything as when I use the volume control button, I just see the basic ringer volume bar graph thing rather than the green/blue lines I see when I toggle the volume when the phone is in use.
    on the application specific volume thingy, you only get the single bar graph for some reason. gonna test mine for sms and see how it works...

hold on.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Isn't that interesting.

I had never used mp3 ringtones for sms.

anyway, i set it up to use the same volume (max) and ringtone as I have been using for the phone.

the volume when you recieve a call AND an sms is significantly lower then the volume you get when you punch the test button. I had never noticed that before.

Must be something with the software, maybe a little bug. I had upgraded to the volume care pro just to bring up the volume of my phone tech ring tones to a more reasonable level, but I had never noticed how much lower it was than the test volume. I would lOVe to have my ringtones as loud as the test volume.

I am going to email the developer a link to this disc so he can look at it.

btw, I am using the latest version that just came out v 2.3. I just upgraded a few days ago. I wonder if maybe I never noticed it before because it didn't happen before? I guess I have a copy of the older program on my pc, will have to dig through the palm files and find it.
    Last edited by shadowboxer; 04/11/2006 at 02:14 PM.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    hmm - odd bug

can you confirm that you have the same problem if volume care is not installed?
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Interesting

It is related to volume care pro settings.

With volume care deactivated,
    the volume is the same with the ringer and in the test mode

with volume care on, pro with PT chosen in the applications menu,
    the volume in the ringer is the same as with volume care off, but it is a lot louder in the test mode. I guess I thought volume care had fixed my volume on ringtones issue, but it really didn't!!
    Nanotechnology Nerd
  8.    #8  
    I'm glad I wasn't imagining it...well, actually, I wish I WAS as that would be easier to fix, haha.

Now I'm not so sure I want to register either/both programs as that is what I wanted them for, so I could actually use MP3 ringtones and hear them. Most midi ringtones I can't hear for some reason. I can hear MP3's great in the test mode but hardly at all in "live" mode, so to speak. Drats.

Let me know if you find out anything from emailing the developer?
    Last edited by serijules; 04/11/2006 at 10:10 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Just "FYI" thing here, I'm using the latest PT and VC software as I just installed both on my new phone and both are still running on trial yet.
    I have the same problem too!!! i will try 2.31
  11.    #11  
    I ended up uninstalling it. It causes my Treo to crash on some incoming SMS. Hasn't crashed once since I uninstalled it so I'm assuming that is the culprit. I was pretty bummed as I really liked the program and the price!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    Interesting

It is related to volume care pro settings.

With volume care deactivated,
    the volume is the same with the ringer and in the test mode

with volume care on, pro with PT chosen in the applications menu,
    the volume in the ringer is the same as with volume care off, but it is a lot louder in the test mode. I guess I thought volume care had fixed my volume on ringtones issue, but it really didn't!!
    This is actually not a bug in VolumeCare. The ringTone volume will be triggered only when a call is coming in and not when you press the test button. This is because there are many sources that can produce ringtones. So VolumeCare will manage the RingTone volume only during thetime when the phone is ringing. Now you have pointed out an interesting issue and one that is not an easy solution to fix in a general way. If you want to hear how your ringtones will really sound, you need to letVolumeCare know when to sample the ringtone. But you could be using PT, the builtin ringtonemanager or some other ringtone manager. VC does not know - right? So what you can do is to set the app volume to match the ringtone volume and select the target ringtone manager in the application list. Then play the ringtone in the RingTone manager's "test" mode. This will let you hear the ringtone volume you have configured in VolumeCare. Once you have a comforable ringtone volume, reset your application volume to the desired level. Does this clear up the confusion?

The last bit of confusion I would like to address is the volume graph. The new volume graph will only display when you adjust the volume while you are on a phone call. All other times, you will see the old volume graph. This is because of the vast number of conflicts with 3rd party applications that would happen if VolumeCare replaced this graph during non-phone call events. But be assured that VolumeCare still manages the volume if you have RingTone and/or App mode enabled.

Jeff