Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi everybody I need some help. I'm in Beijing at the moment and use China Mobile's Shenzhouxing SIM but I can't get it to load web pages. I use the APN: CMNET, the GPRS connection gets established (I can see the green flashes), but there is no data transfer. Any help would be appreciated.

PS. I have an unlocked Treo 650 GSM.
    This is just a guess, but isn't web content heavily filtered in China (aka censored)? I would think you'd get some sort of notice rather than nothing, though, so this probably has nothing to do with the problem.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I was in China two weeks ago, in Guangzhou, and was able to use GPRS on my Cingular Treo 650 without any problem. I had purchased a Hong Kong SIM, which I did not put in my Treo -- rather I used it on a separate cell phone. The Hong Kong SIM worked fine in China, too, but as a prepaid SIM it was completely incapable of GPRS or any data connection.

So the problem may be that you have a prepaid SIM that doesn't allow data transmission.

(And FWIW, attached is an unedited picture I took in China with my Treo's camera, and which I was able to send directly from China to the US.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Badler is right. Prepaid SIMS cannot transfer data. You can get a card that you pay monthly at most banks. It requires a 500 RMB deposit that your account draws down until it is used up after which you are billed and pay at the bank. If you want to cancel the account while there is still a positive balance they will refund whatever is left. You do have to go to a China Mobile office to cancel the SIM and get the refund though and you can expect about an hour long line up at most offices.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Damn!
    I'm off to Gungzhou via NYC and Hong Kong tomorrow.
    I was hoping to get a prepaid SIM with GPRS while over there...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Damn!
    I'm off to Gungzhou via NYC and Hong Kong tomorrow.
    I was hoping to get a prepaid SIM with GPRS while over there...
    Things are constantly changing over here so go to a ChinaMobile office and ask. Nothing to lose. If you have any time in Hong Kong ask there also. They might have something that works on the Mainland also.
    u clowns have to get a a china mobile m-zone card to get gprs. a china mobile go-zone will work as well, but that's a pay monthly plan and only recommended if u stay a loong time. shenzhouxing is only for calls and sms.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Things are constantly changing over here so go to a ChinaMobile office and ask. Nothing to lose. If you have any time in Hong Kong ask there also. They might have something that works on the Mainland also.
    Thanks jgm. Will certainly do...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CHiNNuTS
    u clowns have to get a a china mobile m-zone card to get gprs. a china mobile go-zone will work as well, but that's a pay monthly plan and only recommended if u stay a loong time. shenzhouxing is only for calls and sms.
    Thanks Nut http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif
    China mobile m-zone it is...
  10.    #10  
    Ok, I purchased an M-Zone card but I can't seem to get a network connection. What do I do wrong?

I can see two networks: China Mobile & China Unicom but I can't get the sim registred to neither of them.
    China Unicom is CDMA, China Mobile is GSM/GPRS. Try the following:
    In preferences click network
    Service = "China Mobile Internet (GPRS)
    Connection = "GPRS"
    User name = "Tap to enter name"
    Password = "Unassigned"
    APN = "cmnet"
    Tap Details, it will ask you if you want to create a new connection, select "no", you are checking or modifying the existing connection
    Fallback = "-None-"
    Tap Advanced
    IP Address: check Automatic
    Query DNS: check
    Select Ok, Ok, Done

See if that works. Those are the settings on my phone but I am on a monthly payment SIM. I expect settings should be the same though.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    When you figure it out, please post the instructions. I will be getting there on Friday.
    Thanks.
  13.    #13  
    I will. For the moment I gave up testing. My M-Zone card did not work (could not get it registered to a network). I came to suspect there might be something wrong with the card as I tried it in a Nokia also without any success. In the meanwhile I was able to test another card at a China Mobile shop. After inserting the card I got a pop-up displaying "???????M-Zone?????" (I think the ? marks stand for Chinese characters my Treo wasn't able to display). I also got the predefined network settings for China Mobile, one of it was GPRS. Anyway trying to connect to each made my Treo hang each time I tried it.

I'll be in Shanghai in the next days and I'll drop by http://www.china-mobile-phones.com to see if they can help me with this matter. I'll keep you posted.
    I am traveling between Hong Kong and China daily and the Treo 650 is really handy to change SIM card. The China Mobile Go-tone SIM card automatically setup the GPRS account for you once you inserted that into the Treo. The same for the Peoples Network in Hong Kong. So there is no setting whatsoever needed to do. You only need to access the internet once everytime you changed SIM card, which is necessary in order to use bluetooth DUN. The China Mobile GPRS is quite fast. It seems to be using EDGE. I measured it with FTP download via BT DUN and it can achieve over 100kbps. Guess it could be limited by the BT instead.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Thanks jgm but no go.
    My friend bought me the card before I got there so we went back to the store who sold him it but they have no clue.
    It times out and then cancels.
    I will have to go to an official China Mobile and see if there's any hope...
    At least my hotel has free internet...

Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    China Unicom is CDMA, China Mobile is GSM/GPRS. Try the following:
    In preferences click network
    Service = "China Mobile Internet (GPRS)
    Connection = "GPRS"
    User name = "Tap to enter name"
    Password = "Unassigned"
    APN = "cmnet"
    Tap Details, it will ask you if you want to create a new connection, select "no", you are checking or modifying the existing connection
    Fallback = "-None-"
    Tap Advanced
    IP Address: check Automatic
    Query DNS: check
    Select Ok, Ok, Done

See if that works. Those are the settings on my phone but I am on a monthly payment SIM. I expect settings should be the same though.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hyiu000
    I am traveling between Hong Kong and China daily and the Treo 650 is really handy to change SIM card. The China Mobile Go-tone SIM card automatically setup the GPRS account for you once you inserted that into the Treo. The same for the Peoples Network in Hong Kong. So there is no setting whatsoever needed to do. You only need to access the internet once everytime you changed SIM card, which is necessary in order to use bluetooth DUN. The China Mobile GPRS is quite fast. It seems to be using EDGE. I measured it with FTP download via BT DUN and it can achieve over 100kbps. Guess it could be limited by the BT instead.
    Damn... I wish you posted this a day earlier...
    I will ask about this when I go to China Mobile tomorrow...
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Still no GPRS on my Treo but GPRS is activated on the SIM.
    I know this because the store clerk put my SIM into her phone (RAZR) and was able to browse, in Chinese of course.
    Her phone was preprogrammed with the GPRS network setup so it worked right away.
    Unfortunately, putting the SIM in my friends RAZR (from New York) did not work because it did not have the preprogrammed China Mobile GPRS network configuration.
    No one in the store could translate.
    Also, my Treo cannot show Chinese characters (not installed).
    I tried the settings given above by jgm but they don't work.
    Can anyone please help?
    I'll be here for another 2 weeks so I really need to get it working...
    Thanx.

PS
    Mods please move this to "Worldwide GSM".
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I found some info at HowardForums but still no dice.
    Changing the APN to "CMWAP" gives me a connection but still can't browse etc.
    I tried the suggested proxy 10.0.0.172:9201 and homepage http://wap.monternet.com but still nothing.
    Please help...
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    I found some info at HowardForums but still no dice.
    Changing the APN to "CMWAP" gives me a connection but still can't browse etc.
    I tried the suggested proxy 10.0.0.172:9201 and homepage http://wap.monternet.com but still nothing.
    Please help...

try this:

name: cmwap
    pwd: cmwap
    APN: cmwap

proxy: 10.0.0.172 port 80

it worked on my 650 when I was in China.
  20.    #20  
    Hi guys, I made it! Here is the infor you need: you should go to a China Mobile shop and should ask for an "E-Tong" SIM Card. You should also stress that you mainly want to use it for GPRS and ask them to activate the GPRS service on the SIM. I just bought a SIM card with 50 MB GPRS data pack for only RMB 70 (~$7). I bought the card in Shanghai where I am now, here the salesmen at the China Mobile shop spoke a little more English than in Beijing. I hope this helps you to get GPRS in China. Also the GPRS settings are set automaticly (red from the SIM) by the Treo (see Network under Prefs) the first time you turn on the Phone. No need for any more settings.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast