Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jackchen1121
    try this:

name: cmwap
    pwd: cmwap
    APN: cmwap

proxy: 10.0.0.172 port 80

it worked on my 650 when I was in China.
    Thanks.
    I can make the connection but now I receive a message for any websute that "your request could not be fulfilled..."
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluevoice
    Hi guys, I made it! Here is the infor you need: you should go to a China Mobile shop and should ask for an "E-Tong" SIM Card. You should also stress that you mainly want to use it for GPRS and ask them to activate the GPRS service on the SIM. I just bought a SIM card with 50 MB GPRS data pack for only RMB 70 (~$7). I bought the card in Shanghai where I am now, here the salesmen at the China Mobile shop spoke a little more English than in Beijing. I hope this helps you to get GPRS in China. Also the GPRS settings are set automaticly (red from the SIM) by the Treo (see Network under Prefs) the first time you turn on the Phone. No need for any more settings.
    Excellent!
    The blokes at the local China Mobile store told me the m-zone card should work but none can get it to work. At least that's what I thought they said (translation issues). When I visit today I will ask about the E-Tong SIM. I'm here for another week and a half...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  3.    #23  
    One more question. What SMTP server can be used to send e-mail? I can now use my Gmail account which uses its own smtp, but I'd like to be able to send mail through other POP accounts.
    I go to China almost every month. I uses Mzone card from china mobile. the GPRS works fine for email and browsing. The only needed input is apn: cmnet

It works fine at least until this wednesday (when I flew back)

Maybe, u guys need to click open user name and password but do not type anything. That is what I did most of the time if there is problem. Also, you need to make sure that the money is sufficient (at least 10yuan). If your money runs out and you have recharged, you have to disconnect and reconnect the phone, then it works again

hope this helps
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andri
    I go to China almost every month. I uses Mzone card from china mobile. the GPRS works fine for email and browsing. The only needed input is apn: cmnet

It works fine at least until this wednesday (when I flew back)

Maybe, u guys need to click open user name and password but do not type anything. That is what I did most of the time if there is problem. Also, you need to make sure that the money is sufficient (at least 10yuan). If your money runs out and you have recharged, you have to disconnect and reconnect the phone, then it works again

hope this helps
    Thanks andri.
    Apparently, there is no consistency in these things over here.

I have the m-zone SIM and am told by the blokes at China Mobile that it will not connect to cmnet but only to cmwap. Sure enough that it the case, kinda: It connects to cnwap with automatic IP and not with IP set to 10.0.0.72. But even after connecting, I can't browse or check email.

They tell me my problem is my Treo (and then the RAZR) because they are not bought in China. Of course that is bull. But they can't tell/translate the settings for me.

I asked about the E-Tong and they tell me that I will have the same problem. I told them to sell me the cheapest one to try but they only had one left at 600 RMB: Too much for the next week. (Anyway, when do these minutes etc. expire?).

I've tried proxy 10.0.0.172:80 in Blazer but still no go. The error message is:
    "Your request for service could not be fulfilled. Please try again or contact your operator if the problem persists".

I'm taking an internal flight today and getting back to Guangzhou on Monday when I will by an E-Tong (if they get some cheaper ones) to try it.

This is frustrating... but I want to sort it out because I will likely be returning to China in October...
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andri

hope this helps
    Tried that but still no go.
    I have at least 100RMB on my account.
    Thanks anyway.

Any other suggesstions/settings?

PS
    This is a silly question but I'm desperate: Do I need to install the chinese language for the settings to work?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Ok I'm in Qindao now and guess what? Blazer works with the 10.0.0.172:80 proxy, at least for most sites. I'm posting from my Treo now. Other sites give me a " can't connect to specified proxy" error.

Chatter or any other program without proxy setup does not work.

I really need a SIM that works in Guangzhou so I guess my problem is this SIM. Apparently the network is different depending on where you are. So next week I will look for a cheap E-Tong in Guangzhou and post my experience.
    I usually go Qingdao. The card that I have used for 6 months already (it's prepaid everytime I go to China, i have to recharge). I do not think cmwap is the way to go, because treo cannot access wap sites. So it should be apn: cmnet. I just realise that u use T650, last time I use T600 (just got T650 just a few days ago). I also have no problem in Guangzhou. I know it is a hassle cannot connect to internet. When u get the Mzone card, did u tell them that u want "GPRS enabled"? I remember I got it in Dongying, Shandong. I asked my friend to ask for GPRS and the lady must type something into the computer.

I remembered on last trips I used it in Guilin, Beijing, Tianjin, Guangzhou, Qingdao, Dalian, all works fine. Sorry cannot be more helpful. Maybe the cheaper way is to get another card at large china mobile office and say want to use GPRS/internet.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Thanks andri.
    Yes I did ask for GPRS to be enabled. They told me to text "GPRS" to 01129. At China Mobile they told me to text "GPRS15" to another number. They also told me that the m-zone card cannot connect to cmwap. I guess there is no consistency. I will ask for an E-Tong card that can connect to cmnet.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Can someone confirm that the China Mobile E-TONG card will work with GPRS (CMNET, not CMWAP). I'm in Guangzhou area.

Thanks,
    Patrick
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocycle
    Can someone confirm that the China Mobile E-TONG card will work with GPRS (CMNET, not CMWAP). I'm in Guangzhou area.

Thanks,
    Patrick
    Sorry Patrick, I never sorted this out before I left China.
    I did however go to the China Mobile desk upstairs at the indoor mall in the pedestrian shopping area of Guangzhou (sorry can't be more specific. The street with the glass floor displaying the ancient roads of the dynasties) where they told me there is no E-Tong card from China Mobile, only m-zone and GoTone. They also told me (via a translator friend) that GPRS should work with my m-zone card but they also couldn't get it to work. I'll probably purchase a new GoTone SIM next time I'm there and will also install CJKOS so that a rep could understand the local text messages and give some guidance. Sorry I can't be of any help...
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocycle
    Yes, the E-Tong card did a fine job during my stay in China. No need to mess up with the settings as the card will install the needed profiles by itself. Attached you'll find a picture of the card. I bought it in Shanghai.

P.S. I don't need this card anymore so if someone is interested in it then just send me a PM.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I had the same problems as many of you above, connection worked flawlessly, but as soon as I tried to surf I only got a "Your request for a service could not be fulfilled.". Even with using the 10.0.0.172:80 proxy. I noticed though that I had no problems syncing with Versamail with the same settings, so obviously there must be more things to configure in Blazer.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaspode View Post
    I had the same problems as many of you above, connection worked flawlessly, but as soon as I tried to surf I only got a "Your request for a service could not be fulfilled.". Even with using the 10.0.0.172:80 proxy. I noticed though that I had no problems syncing with Versamail with the same settings, so obviously there must be more things to configure in Blazer.
    Which card did you get, from which city, from a China Mobile or third party? Did you also ask them to activate GPRS?

I may be going back to China in October for a week or two...
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has figured out this puzzle of what card to use in China with a Treo 650. I'm in Beijing and my m-zone card connects the phone to CMCC but then hangs and freezes the Treo. Another SIM I had in a different Motorola cell before works fine in the Treo for phone service, but it's not for GPRS. And the m-zone card works fine in the Motorola cell, so I know the card is good.

I haven't yet tried a Go-Tone card because it's a 500y deposit and 50y a month - hate to waste the money just to end up with only phone and no web access.

Many Thanks...
    m-zone is the first choice for your guys who wants gprs access nationaly in China. By default gprs is activated, but sometimes not, you need to call 10086 to confirm that, otherwise you are not be able to connect.
    cmwap as apn is not workable in Beijing. Remember China Mobile runs different policies in different places, so the best is to go to their shop and drop your quesstions.
    English is a problem, but you can try luck, or you can just call 10086 and there is english speaker available for help.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12