1.    #1  
    I opened a new free Fastmail account and then created a new Fastmail account within Chatter.

I was able to receive new emails okay using Fastmail through Chatter. However, when trying to reply back to an email, I keep getting an error message that reads "Sending error: 535 Error: authentication failed..."

I also got a message from FastMail Administrator that says SMTP service is not provided at your membership level...you must upgrade to use SMTP.

Can someone confirm to me that you can only receive new messages with a free Fastmail account, but cannot send new messages, or reply back either?

Are there alternate email services that can both send and receive emails for free that is pop and imap enabled?

Thanks! -CC
    You could get a free gmail account and use their smpt server. Then cc your fastmail accout or set up forwarding on the gmail account.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    True- You cannot send an email with a basic Fastmail account- you'll need to use another SMTP-enabled email account to send. You'll need to upgrade to either their Full or Enhance plan to send mail.

I used a free Fastmail account along with Chatter for quite a long time using another SMTP account. I forked over the yearly charge for a Full account and it was well worth it. I manage all of my email accounts right through fastmail.

If you can part with their inexpensive one-time charge for a full/enhanced account I would defenitely recommend it!!
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    If you do use a free fastmail account and another mail provider's SMTP, messages sent from your Treo surprisingly (to me anyway) will be stored in your Fastmail Sent Items folder so there is no need to BCC to Fastmail.......
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys for your replies. I'm doing this to help out a couple new Treo users. One guy has an MSN/Hotmail account, which I cannot figure out how to set up within either Chatter or Snapper. I seem to recall that Hotmail is not possible for doing POP or IMAP enabling. Therefore, I want to set up a free Fastmail account so the user can simply forward a Hotmail email (with an attachment) to a Fastmail account to download the attachment. Another new Treo user has an SBC/Yahoo email account, which I also cannot figure out, so I'm gonna recommend a Fastmail account for the same reason.

-CC
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    Thanks guys for your replies. I'm doing this to help out a couple new Treo users. One guy has an MSN/Hotmail account, which I cannot figure out how to set up within either Chatter or Snapper. I seem to recall that Hotmail is not possible for doing POP or IMAP enabling. Therefore, I want to set up a free Fastmail account so the user can simply forward a Hotmail email (with an attachment) to a Fastmail account to download the attachment. Another new Treo user has an SBC/Yahoo email account, which I also cannot figure out, so I'm gonna recommend a Fastmail account for the same reason.

-CC
    Yeah, HotMail doesn't like to cooperate I don't think. But I don't see why you're having the problem with setting up a Yahoo! account with Chatter. All you have to do is hit the menu button, go down and select 'new account', and select Yahoo! from the pop-up menu. Then, everything but username and password will be automatically configured. Of course, with Yahoo! you gotta pay for POP access(which would be needed). I'm guessing your friend probably has a free account.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Actually, you only need the Member FastMail account (one-time $14.95 charge) to use their SMTP. That will not allow you to do POP, only IMAP, but for what you describe that might not be a problem. I use Yahoo as my main mail and have everything sent from Yahoo to FastMail. I then set up an alias on FastMail so anything I send from FastMail appears to come from Yahoo. This allows me to keep my Yahoo address and have the benefits of IMAP.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks guys for the extra information. The Yahoo email address setup has perplexed me because of the merger between Yahoo and SBC Global. If it was strictly Yahoo email only, then it would be easy. One person has an email address that is name@sbcglobal.net, however he must access his email through Yahoo.com (using the Treo) instead of SBC.net. I'm confused between the settings for SBC Global and Yahoo.

As for Hotmail, I'm going to give up on this. I don't think I can make Hotmail work for either Chatter, Snapper, or VersaMail.

Also, thanks for the clarification on using Fastmail for doing pop/imap forwarding.

It can really be frustrating trying to set up someone else's email account! For my own Treo personally, I have Chatter and AOL set up perfectly!

At this point, for the 2 new Treo users, I have simply added a bookmark to access their email account using the Treo's "Web" internet function, instead of an email app.

Casey
    Just got a message from FastMail, re: the monthly newsletter...they're having a special pricing for new users/upgrades/exisiting users 'till June 16. The special offer is $5 off the first year price of full or enhanced accounts, depending on which one you have. New users, of course, still have to pick their version they want to use.

I just tried to upgrade my $34.95 price ($5 off) but it still shows up as $39.95. Haven't done anything with it yet. Anybody else here have a similar problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    Thanks guys for the extra information. The Yahoo email address setup has perplexed me because of the merger between Yahoo and SBC Global. If it was strictly Yahoo email only, then it would be easy. One person has an email address that is name@sbcglobal.net, however he must access his email through Yahoo.com (using the Treo) instead of SBC.net. I'm confused between the settings for SBC Global and Yahoo.

Casey
    For the SBC/Yahoo email use:
    pop: pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
    smtp: cwmx.com (If Cingular)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryk
    For the SBC/Yahoo email use:
    pop: pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
    smtp: cwmx.com (If Cingular)
    I am an SBC/Yahoo customer from the swbell.net family. Larry is correct on the pop. Have your friend go the the SBC help section to choose his correct POP/SMTP. For example, mine is "pop.swbell.yahoo.com". I bypass my Sprint SMTP and use my SBC/Yahoo SMTP on my Treo. Works like a charm.