1.    #1  
    i'm trying to figure out the most effective way to send and receive
    email from my gmail account via my treo.

my goals are the following:

1. to be able to quickly retrieve new messages

2. to be able to use the contact database to store/retrieve email addresses

3. to minimize cost -- to be efficient re: data use and connection time

i've been digging around treocentral and googling around a lot, and
    i've downloaded the trial versions of snappermail and chattermail and
    fiddled with them a bit. i seem to run into the same problems, though
    -- i can't figure out how to set any of them so that they retreive
    only my most recent (or, optimally, only unread) messages via gmail's
    pop servers.

i have no need for "push" capability for the real-time, blackberry
    style receipt of new messages, which would be facilitated by IMAP
    servers (chattermail is build specifically for this).

I can't get Versamail's "retrieve messages only from the last X days" feature to work properly. if i could get this feature to work correctly, i'd be set, but when i try to use this feature, i get an error message and versamail downloads NO email. i'm not willing, however, to download EVERY message on my server every time i sync. that's just ludicrous. can someone show me how to get this versamail feature to work?

right now i have the mail button linking directly to Blazer, for which
    I have the home page set as m.gmail.com, which is gmail's
    mobile-optimized inbox, but this is a far from ideal way of doing
    things (among other shortcomings, i can't use my contact database this
    way).

i'm disappointed that palm wouldn't include a stronger email
    application, given that anywhere email is one of the primary uses of a
    smartphone.

thoughts?
    You won't want to hear this, but POP3 servers are simply inappropriate for mobile use.

They are all:

1) slow - for large mailboxes, 10-100x slower to sync,
    2) attachment unfriendly and maddeningly inefficient,
    3) data-heavy for all common uses, especially finding new messages (say 10-100x more data in many cases), and
    4) virtually feature-free in terms of almost everything a mobile user would want.

On top of this, Gmail has the most quirky and frankly flaky POP3 implementations I have ever seen (the SnapperMail people say the same, by the way).

You get what you pay for with Gmail; if you want to do things "right" (based on your criteria), you should look into an IMAP account or even hosted Exchange.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Marc,

thanks for the prompt and helpful reply.

Some thoughts: I understand that POP is not optimal. However, given that I am not inclined to switch email services just for *perfect* mobile functionality, I'd like to try to make it work.

re: 1) I'm okay with it not being speedy; I don't have a volume of email or time constraints such that this is particularly relevant.

re: 2) I'm also okay with not using attachments on my mobile; if I need to send an attachment, I'll send it from my laptop.

re: 3) This is a bummer, but not a dealbreaker.

re: 4) I see what you're saying, but given that I'm not a Hill staffer or a high-powered executive, I really just want to *send and receive basic emails easily*.

Now ... if I made the move to IMAP and had my Gmail account forward messages to something like fastmail.net so that I could use push with your software, would my replies come from my Gmail account, or from the fastmail account?

I have no problem hitting "Get" each time I want to check my email. In fact, I don't want my phone to buzz each time there's a new message. When I want to check my email, I'll check it. I don't need it to come to me.

Do you have any tips re: getting Versamail's delivery options (only download mail from last X days) to work properly?

BOTTOM LINE: I want to send and receive basic emails with minimal hassle, and I want to stay with my Gmail account. This is the problem I seek to solve.

Thanks again, Marc.
    Yes, with fastmail you could set it up so that messages appear to come from Gmail. MANY of my users do exactly this.

I understand that you don't want anything fancy, and I'm not really trying to push Chatter over any other client here. It's just that POP3 can't do the things you say you want in terms of speed and data-usage; the protocol was written 30+ years ago when modems were 1200 baud (1.2kbs) and monitors were 80x24 character monochrome displays. (I know this because I was working around those who created the protocol at that time, and actually wrote mail software in 1977)

Marc
    I use a gmail account - great free storage and archiving of my email. Gmail then forwards to Fastmail, which is pushed to my treo via Chatter. Fastmail/Chatter lets me send from the treo using whatever "sender" email I choose.

I have used Multimail, Versamail, Chatter, and Snapper. After a lot of experimentation, I have found that the gmail/fastmail/chatter setup works great.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I use a gmail account - great free storage and archiving of my email. Gmail then forwards to Fastmail, which is pushed to my treo via Chatter. Fastmail/Chatter lets me send from the treo using whatever "sender" email I choose.

I have used Multimail, Versamail, Chatter, and Snapper. After a lot of experimentation, I have found that the gmail/fastmail/chatter setup works great.
    Ditto
    TAFJonathan, see this thread for easy setup instructions.
    Just give it a try... you'd love it!
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  7.    #7  
    Haha ... okay, okay, I took the plunge and went Chattermail. It's pretty amazing. The best choice, for sure, now it's just a matter of setting it up so that's it economical re: data/battery usage. I don't want it polling automatically; I'm having it offline except for when I choose to sync.

Great software, Marc.
    Well, it seems you've found your solution, but I just wanted to point out that in Gmail's settings under 'forwarding & POP', you should DEFINITELY select "enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on". Oh, and welcome to the dark side
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    You get what you pay for with Gmail; if you want to do things "right" (based on your criteria), you should look into an IMAP account or even hosted Exchange.
    As far as using Gmail strictly from a computer is concerned though, it really can't be touched.

Oh, and I'm using Gmail with POP on my Treo right now with no problems.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?