Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was just looking around to see how much I can sell my Sprint 650 for if I go for a 6700... I'm bewildered on why the Sprint phones dont go for nearly as much as other carriers.

Exhibit A...
    http://files.mebreezy.com/uploaded/742752205.gif

The cingular is almost double the sprint. No there's not extra bundles involved, just the basics. Why is this?
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Maybe because of the expectation that the new 700P will be out soon. I would not pay much for a 650 knowing that the 700 is almost here.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  3.    #3  
    Good point.
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Wise money though is still on the 650 in my opinion, see Jef Kirvins theard on the "the next small thing" Enjoy
    Regards,

Supes2000

"His words burned like lamp in the darkness" -- Ecclesiasticus
    Quote Originally Posted by Un4given
    ...I'm bewildered on why the Sprint phones dont go for nearly as much as other carriers...
    ...The cingular is almost double the sprint. No there's not extra bundles involved, just the basics. Why is this?
    with a Cingular -GSM- phone you can easily unlock it so you can use it on t-mobile, Cingular or virtually any other provider in the world. versus the Sprint phone which can only be setup on the Sprint U.S network.
    you are selling the cing phone to anyone in the world. much more valuable phone.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Perhaps Sprint wants to discourage reselling? Just a thought.
    Maybe it's because the Sprint treos work so damn good.....

My trouble free Sprint/T650 is doin real fine....

JTYSK

Chuck
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    ...or Palm wants to eventually call it the Lowrider.
    Quote Originally Posted by fj60
    with a Cingular -GSM- phone you can easily unlock it so you can use it on t-mobile, Cingular or virtually any other provider in the world. versus the Sprint phone which can only be setup on the Sprint U.S network.
    you are selling the cing phone to anyone in the world. much more valuable phone.
    ding ding ding - I think we have a winner!
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    ding ding ding - I think we have a winner!

Yes. We do have a winner....but since I'm on sprint and my phone works like a charm, I'm going to have to lie and say it's because sprint is better
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzarascal
    Yes. We do have a winner....but since I'm on sprint and my phone works like a charm, I'm going to have to lie and say it's because sprint is better
    If Sprint is better why is the phone half the price? The law of supply and demand would indicate a better product would be in higher demand/shorter supply so the price would be higher.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    cardio, that's putting aside that economic theories dont always prove to be correct - it's especially difficult to apply economic theories to "non-necessary" (don't read into that) products that have been on the market for a significant period of time
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joker9989
    cardio, that's putting aside that economic theories dont always prove to be correct - it's especially difficult to apply economic theories to "non-necessary" (don't read into that) products that have been on the market for a significant period of time
    Don't go too deep here, I was just yanking the Spint users chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by joker9989
    Basic Supply and Demand still applies. As was stated earlier a GSM phone can be used by far more people, its more desireable, increasing the total population of people interested in the phone. With this comes greater demand, thus causing a shift in the demand curve to the right, yet supply stays the same. Errr, anyway greater demand + same supply = higher price.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Basic Supply and Demand still applies. As was stated earlier a GSM phone can be used by far more people, its more desireable, increasing the total population of people interested in the phone. With this comes greater demand, thus causing a shift in the demand curve to the right, yet supply stays the same. Errr, anyway greater demand + same supply = higher price.
    Basically you get this except youre shifting from Demand 2 to Demand 1

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...cal_supply.png

Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Don't go too deep here, I was just yanking the Spint users chains.
    Oh.... sorry...
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    or it could also bee that the supply of sprint treos is far greater than cingular and that demand is the same. this would cause price to be lower for sprint than cingular and would be backed by the old poll on the front page showing nearly 70% of TC users were on SPCS.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Basically you get this except youre shifting from Demand 2 to Demand 1

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...cal_supply.png

Oh.... sorry...
    Most understand why GSM is a more attractive option, but they kept saying Sprint was cheaper because it was better. If that was the case why are so many people driving fords instead of Lexus?
    not quite sure how gsm is more attractive than cdma

cdma:
    no radio interference
    clearer calls
    1xRTT in ALL coverage areas (far, far more than edge)
    better coverage in US

gsm:
    slightly faster data (IF you are in EDGE area, then it is slow as balls)
    possibile to take phone to other carriers and internationally

am i missing something?
    but if you have a phone that supports EVDO vs EDGE (ppc6700/vx6700 vs 8125) there is NO comparison, CDMA is king.

billing price also makes a big difference. i think what we are seeing is that CDMA, being more popular for data-centric phones is filled with treos and as they move to faster EVDO phones (ppc-6700, 700w) the market is flooded and supply increases but demand also diminishes while with GSM the 650 still supports the latest data so supply is constant while demand also stays the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    not quite sure how gsm is more attractive than cdma

cdma:
    no radio interference
    clearer calls
    1xRTT in ALL coverage areas (far, far more than edge)
    better coverage in US

gsm:
    slightly faster data (IF you are in EDGE area, then it is slow as balls)
    possibile to take phone to other carriers and internationally

am i missing something?
    Yes, much. Ignoring the above for the moment which I don't agree with.

I have both a CDMA and a GSM phone so think I can speak from personal experience with both....and the level of significance is to me...you mileage may vary.

Very Significant Category

-My GSM phone has 50% more battery life than my CDMA phone
    -My GSM phone lets me swap SIMS with a cheapie saving $600 phone from possible risk during biking, fishing, boating etc.

Significant Category

-As a GSM user, I can get full new customer rebates when they have family plan by buying Treo as "new phone" for Junior, then swapping SIMS and phones with junior so you get old number back on new Treo and he gets old Treo w/ new number....with 3 kids and a wife, ya can play that game for 8 years w/o recycling....can't do that with my CDMA phone.
    -My CNG's free call times / and who ya can call for free exceed that for my CDMA phone.
    -International Travel

Marginally Significant Category

-Sprint makes more money per user than any other carrier ($60+ vs $47-48 for verizon and cng). Data plans are $5 cheaper but Sprint takes it in on "extra services" and overage charges. When I signed my contract, Sprint was $5 cheaper for data, $10 more expensive for Voice, with 50 less minutes

Insignificant Category

-My GSM phone can take call w/o disconnecting data whereas my CDMA can't...not real important to me as I can only do one thing at once.
    -On my GSM phone I can't listen to both the audio jack and a BT headset at the same time....again, as above, I can only do one thing at a time so this is important to me either....call it a wash with the data voice thing.

As for the radio interference....my speakers are within 4 inches of my Palm cradle and my speakers buzz maybe 2 seconds a day. Of course if I used my cell phone at my desk I could generate more static but that woud be silly with a land line for voice and a 10Mbps internet connection right there. I get no static over car speakers.

As for reception, independent studies NOW report Cingular has most customers, reaches the most people and has best service (as judged by fewest dropped calls). Verizon held the best network title for several years so that's by no means a title "owned" by anyone...the title seems to be buyable by how much you spend on infrastructure.

But this all means beans if you don't have good reception. Each carrier has a big pot of money to spend on their network and each dollar they spend in NY for example is a dollar they don't have to spend in Albequerque. So the carriers place their bets figuring on how they can best benefit from investing their money in each area.

Again, I have both a Verizon phone and a CNG phone. CNG had by far the best reception in this area, verizon 2nd and Sprint a distant 3rd when I bought the Treo. Since I can't afford not to have access on a jobsite in case someone is hurt, I need to carry a secnd phone in case I am in one carrier's dead spot. I haven't "needed" to use the Verizon phone however to make a call since April 15 2005. I do use it occasionally just to burn up some minutes that I pay for but I haven not noticed being in a location where I had Verizon signal and no CNG signal in almost a year. Been in plenty of places while traveling tho with no signal whatsoever on either carrier.

I short, my advice to people is there is no BEST carrier. And what was best in 2004 can easily drop a notch or two by 2006. Nothing is static as was shown by CNG forcing Verizon to drop the "best network / fewest dropped calls" commercials this year....now CNG is airing them and in 2008 it could easily be Verizon again or Sprint.

All things being equal (which they rarely are) I would take GSM anyday for the battery life alone...but if I moved to an area where the CDMA carriers had substantially better reception, I'd drop CNG in a heartbeat.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast