Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am currently in the trial period between these launchers. Can anyone tell me any reason to choose one over the other?
    I used ZL for a long time and liked it. I recently tried I8 and decided to purchase it. I8 is better for me because I don't really use categories. It has several neat features like web bookmarks and voice activation. I miss the file manager of ZL but go back to it or use Resco Explorer. Both are really good launchers and both have good features. I think I8 is designed to work best with the Treo and the developer is really responsive. Check out the Initiate forum on mytreo.net.
    Used ZL. Tried I8; at first I didn't like it. But once I grokked it (it's more like LaunchBar, if you're a Mac user an familiar with that, than the Finder), I really started to love it. Learn all it's power and you won't look back.
    Moved to I8 over Launcher X (similar to ZL) and MegaLauncher. I8 leaves a much smaller footprint on the Treo, and like the others I find the more I use it the more I like it. It's Voice Launcher is really useful, and it's highly customizable like ZL. Constantly coming out w/ improvements since it's the author's favorite program.
    -------------------------------
    Palm III > Palm IIIxe > Samsung I300 (Verizon) > Tungsten W (ATT) > Treo 300 (Sprint)> Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (Cingular)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381
    I am currently in the trial period between these launchers. Can anyone tell me any reason to choose one over the other?
    I tried both too. For some reason, I couldn't warm up to I8. Zlauncher has better skins available IMO. I was able to fix it just the way I like. However, I think it is heavier than I8(the skins can be heavy too) so if fancy skins don't matter to you, I8 offers a lot more features. I only took Zlauncher because I liked it way better, but that was just me. On the practical side, I8 is probably better.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    can I8 move apps to the card like ZL does?
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970
    can I8 move apps to the card like ZL does?
    When ZL copies an application to SD it also copies all related databases. When I execute a program from SD with ZL it copies the same back to execute and when execution is complete the changed database files are back to the SD card. Does I8 do the same?
    I just tested the latest version of I8 and it won't move the whole app.
    I8 will move the main PRC (and any bundled databases, but only static/that-won't-change).
    So you still need an app like Powerrun or Zlinks to really move everything to the SD card.

So I8+Filez+Powerrun/Zlinks is > ZLauncher (memory footprint wise)...

:-(
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    That is what I suspected because could not find in the promotional information of I8 about how the move applications to SD card. I guess this is that why I8 has a smaller footprint. I8 is useless without this feature because the databases are many times larger than the application.

The voice launching option is not a feature but wasted of RAM. My experience that voice recognition software only works in quite environments which will work for me when I am sleeping.
    Last edited by resturg; 04/09/2006 at 12:00 PM.
    Ditto for me about the voice launch...most situations don't lend themselves to computer voice recognition software. If I wanted to yell at something and have it understand me, I'd get a woman.

C
    Gone Tokin, gurgle gurgle...

JediChuckw/Treo

Going for my Treo 700p and icon thingy!!
    The big time I use it is while driving...instead of looking down to the Treo and trying to find a number in contacts (and then wrecking and killing myself), the Voice Recognition works well.
    -------------------------------
    Palm III > Palm IIIxe > Samsung I300 (Verizon) > Tungsten W (ATT) > Treo 300 (Sprint)> Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 650 (Cingular)
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for all the tips. I have decided to buy initiate for the simple fact that there is no longer a need for the phone app. I can dial a number and go to websites right from I8.
    Quote Originally Posted by JediChuckw/Treo
    If I wanted to yell at something and have it understand me, I'd get a woman.
    I bet you wouldn't
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970
    I just tested the latest version of I8 and it won't move the whole app.
    I8 will move the main PRC (and any bundled databases, but only static/that-won't-change).
    So you still need an app like Powerrun or Zlinks to really move everything to the SD card.
    According to the developer on mytreo.net, this feature will be implemented into I8 soon.
    Will I8 conflict with VoiceSignal's voice recognition when dialing contacts?
    Quote Originally Posted by JediChuckw/Treo
    . If I wanted to yell at something and have it understand me, I'd get a woman.
    You found one that doesn't out yell ya 10:1 ..... and one that understands ?

You haven't read my book..... "Men are Unbelievably Crazy and Women are Freakin Nuts !"
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    Will I8 conflict with VoiceSignal's voice recognition when dialing contacts?
    I would guess if you use two different buttons, it would not conflict. However the voice activation in I8 (by VoiceIt) seems to work well.
    I'm a long-time ZLauncher user (on my Palm Tungsten C) who recently switched to Initiate. I like the Purist screen - no Apps showing at all, I just type two or three letters to fire up the app I want. (Great for Avantgo, the only app that begins with an A. Not so good for my Splash apps, which all begin with "Splash". SplashShopper is "SPR", SplashPhoto is "SPT". etc.) Maybe it's that I like the command line interface, but I find it faster.
    I was with some friends recently who had WM5 device and a Palm device with ZL. One of them with the WM5 device described how his device has made him more efficient and that he believed he had his device configured to be more efficient then anyones - but he didn't have Initiate and I did so the competition started --> launch a favorite web page, start a program, open a memo, make a call, play an mp3, move files to SD, determine what apps reside on SD and end back at your launcher. Truly the geeks equivalent of a stop to 100mph back to a stop. Initiate left them in the dust and while they were stumbling with their stylus, I was one-handing it the entire way. Classic. Although I was left with high-speed internet envy.

I didn't like Initiate when I first tried it (from LauncherX). But it soon became a no-brainer and is now in my top 3 most used applications.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast