1.    #1  
    Last week, I was applying a Smartphone Experts screen protector and my touchscreen froze - or the touch part did, 5-way still worked. At the time, I had just installed and uninstalled two different programs and thought that was the problem. Well, I had sorta hacked up that screen protector install and got some dust under it. Today, I did a new install and it happened again. Did a soft, warm and then hard reset - no luck. Then I tried to remove the protector and I noticed one corner was not flat. I flipped the upper left corner on the screen protector under the lip and it worked.

Did I press down too hard on the protector (trying to make a smooth install) or was there a constant pressure on that one corner that caused the whole screen to freeze? It worked fine after last weeks install and is working fine now. Has this happened to anyone else here? Do I potentially have a bad screen? I have insurance, BTW!
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Remove the protector and you should be fine. I am guess you did what I did and cut the form a bit larger that the tempale and part of the film went under the lip of the case...this makes the touch screen lock-up
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
  3.    #3  
    actually, I lifted the corner and the screen stared working. I laid that one corner in nice and flat and it seems ok now. I did not cut these, they came pre-cut.
    I had a similar problem with the Seidio protector. They are very thick and seemed a bit to large to fit within the frame. When installed, I could get no response from the touch screen. I tried to slip it under the frame but it seemed to be too thick to fit. I intend to try and install it again but haven't done so yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I had a similar problem with the Seidio protector. They are very thick and seemed a bit to large to fit within the frame. When installed, I could get no response from the touch screen. I tried to slip it under the frame but it seemed to be too thick to fit. I intend to try and install it again but haven't done so yet.
    What are you doing now? Going naked? I am kinda anal on this - I installed one today and found some dust under the protector - darn it! I have gone through 2@$5 each in the last two weeks. I am going to the cheap ones so I can change them easier.

BTW - the last one had something stuck to it as I installed and I got a small scratch on the screen. How in the heck do you avoid that? Install in a clean room?
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex
    What are you doing now? Going naked?
    No, I had a packet of thinner ones (Screenguardz) that I'd been using previously. Put one of those back on. I don't know about the dust. I have the same problem as they seem to attract whatever is in the air during installation. Going to try and clean the Seidio then re-install. They claim you can do that.
  7. r0k
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I got my brand new Treo last Thursday and immediately cut and applied a protector. I noticed the touchscreen acting flaky and removed and repositioned the protector. All is fine now, but one corner is lifted. I will cut more carefully and replace the protector now that I know the edges are sensitive. I really don't want to go bare because I have gotten scratches on my pda's and I know that you have to be even more careful with a smartphone which is: more likely to be dropped, with me all the time, and exposed to more elements than my pda's ever were.

Good thread! Timely!
    -r0k

The 650 was a fine phone and was WAY more than a phone, but it's data rate was 1 bit per fortnight. The 755p was somewhat better until its instability chased me to ... wait for it... the BB 8830 From the BB 8830 I went to iPhone 4 and have never been happier. Farewell Palm. Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011).
    5$ each??? wow... how about a pack of 10 i think for 8$..... AND I can get 2 out of each sheet.

The fellows writeright.
    Treo 650... 2 broken screens, doesn't sync well, and a jacked up audio jack, but it's still better than anything i've seen so far.
    Had the same problem with the non-adhesive NuShield ones. They are intentionally just a little bit larger and are supposed to fit under the lip at the edge of the screen. Same symptoms as yours - either right away or over time, the protector would move around and either cause the touchscreen to stop working or the Treo would completely lock up.

Gave up on those a long time ago and went with the Fellows WriteRight. Just be careful and apply them slowly to avoid air bubbles and dust be trapped underneath.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetahjeremy
    5$ each??? wow... how about a pack of 10 i think for 8$..... AND I can get 2 out of each sheet.

The fellows writeright.
    Thanks - I will look at those. Yes, the Smartphone Experts are $15 for 3. They are pretty stiff and I reckon that if installed correctly, they will last a loooong time. However, I did not have good luck on the first 2! My last one is right on the money, so hopefully it will stay there for at least a few months.
    I'm still using tacky (as in fairly sticky) Belkin screen protectors that were for my old SJ22 Clie. I have to trim them down a bit, but aren't too hard to install. I've installed quite a few of them though, my wife and I every 3 months or so for the last two years, adds up. I think I'm almost out of that package I bought way back then ;-)

Just replaced mine a few weeks ago and I think I gotta replace it again, I think a cat stepped on it. Little weird looking spot where I think a claw wrinkled the plastic. Bah.
    I used a boxwave one - very expensive but had a great feel. was wahsable but it got bent when I pulled it off my previous 650. Changed to the Radio SHack digital camera protectors - like $6 for 4 I think? Cut to fit. Not as nice as boxwave but does the job and I can use for my dig cam and other devices as well.
    I'm using the Boxwave Crystals and I notice that the touchscreen is not very responsive. Half the time I have to click twice to get it to register. I used a Martin Fields before this and it was the same. The 600's screen didn't have this problem.