Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Some more info about SharkClear, hopefully enough to answer everyone's questions:

There's a ~13mb space on your Treo called the DBcache. This is necessary since the Treo has flash memory. Flash memory is great because when the power drains to 0% all your data is safe, but sadly Palm cannot run apps directly from flash... Therefore they must be copied to DBcache first and run from there. Then after you're done they SHOULD get cleaned up and copied back to the flash storage where they're kept until the next time.

But Palm doesn't do this... they keep some stuff there in case you happen to use that same app again in the very near future. This is great because it totally knocks out load times but if you open loads of apps (especially apps with lots of data) that space gets filled up and Out of Memory errors can occur.

So... SharkClear flushes this memory to make sure there will be no probs with Out of Memory errors... this is definitely a good thing. However, there are some apps that NEED to be kept in DBcache at ALL times (these apps are usually called hacks or utilities). If they don't lock themselves in DBcache (tell the system to NEVER flush them under any circumstance) then they will get flushed away by SharkClear. THAT is what causes the resets.

So... the solution is to make sure all your hacks are updated to work with NVFS. failing that, just use RescoLocker (a wonderful free util) to lock down any utilities.

Under the right circumstances, I think you'll find SharkClear to be very useful indeed.

Now, to address specifics:

JohnH- I'm not sure if it has to do with SharkClear (my treo has reset sometimes for no reason but related to phone app stuff) but i will be adding some extra security to prevent any involuntary resets regardless for Beta 3. if this happens again please let me know.

MarkY- Jeff Kirvin mentioned he has used SharkClear with Chatter. It should be fine.

regards, tyler
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3
    I tried locking Chatter but it still shutdown when I selected clear on power off.
    Thanks for the info. Any idea where to find Beta2? I tried downloading from the link near the top of the thread but the version number still said 1.0.

If this won't play well with Chatter I may go back to dbCacheTool for clearing dbcache on the fly.
  3.    #23  
    MarkY- it works fine with Chatter. Twitch3's problem was on power off. try it and you'll see it's fine.

hoovs: please reset, delete the app and install again. did you have a previous version installed?

regards, tyler

ps: beta 2 still says v1.0. it's the link at the top of the thread.
    [NOTE: SharkClear is intended for NVFS devices only (easy mistake to make!). cheers, tyler]
    Last edited by LudusAdmin; 04/08/2006 at 02:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    What am I missing with the Display on Command Bar? What Command Bar are we talking about?
    I use Butler to bring up the command bar by holding down the menu button. the icon appears and I tap it. Cache clears after a couple of seconds. I do it once in the morning after hot sync, backup, etc and have enough cache to last until the next morning. Like it much better than enabling the power on and power off feature. I'm not sure how to bring up the command bar without Butler though.
    I've been trying to figure out the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo
    I use Butler to bring up the command bar by holding down the menu button. the icon appears and I tap it. Cache clears after a couple of seconds. I do it once in the morning after hot sync, backup, etc and have enough cache to last until the next morning. Like it much better than enabling the power on and power off feature. I'm not sure how to bring up the command bar without Butler though.
    This is exactly what I do using dbCacheTool (which is free) so I'm trying to figure out what the advantage is to paying for SharkClear (no offense Tyler).
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I am getting the following error message when using the command bar- Error 44:Sharing violation. I get the message and the command bar does not pop up. If I disable Sharkclear then the command bar appears, but obviously not the icon to clear cache. I did a soft reset and it worked the first time, but not after that.
    Everything was working fine until now.

Another application that lets you hold down the menu button to bring up the command bar is fieldplus.
    Last edited by rigo; 04/08/2006 at 05:21 PM.
    I don't have butler OR fieldplus, isn't there anyway to push the clear button on a factory stock 650?
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo
    I am getting the following error message when using the command bar- Error 44:Sharing violation. I get the message and the command bar does not pop up. If I disable Sharkclear then the command bar appears, but obviously not the icon to clear cache. I did a soft reset and it worked the first time, but not after that.
    Everything was working fine until now.

Another application that lets you hold down the menu button to bring up the command bar is fieldplus.
    I have the same problem. I think I resolved my issue with Chatter though. If I select thorough instead of fast on power down, Chatter remains active regardless of being locked or not. I had the same problem with dbcache tool when I had it set to hot sync clear. I have Chatter set to shutdown during hot synch. When I changed the clear type to db, the problem went away. I'm assuming the samething is happening here. Fast clear is equivalent of a hot sync clear.

Edit: Nevermind, after going through the night, Resco Backup did it's scheduled back up but Chatter didn't wake up at six. When I powered up my Treo, Chatter woke up. When I shut off my Treo and then received mail, it went nuts and reset. I have the AOL You've got mail as my notification and it sounded like a rap song before the reset.
    Last edited by twitch3; 04/09/2006 at 08:27 AM.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Okay, I think I have it working now. I set it to do a thorough clear at power on which seems to have fixed any Chatter issues. I also set it to clear (thorough)when opening launcher so I can now clear the cache by hitting the home key.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I've been getting resets while in Blazer since using SharkClear, though I'm not sure if its responsible for it. It doesn't always happen and I don't see a pattern. But I never had resets using the web before installing.
  13.    #33  
    new version will be coming soon. it will have a lot more features, and no more stability/cmdbar issues.

regards, tyler
    Just started using the app...

So far so good! (it's only been 5 mins, but no resets at least)

I did run into the Chatter/Shutdown issue mentioned earlier, but following Twitch3's advice of switching "speed" to "thorough" did the trick.

I was curious if another option could be added: Have the cache clear on shutdown (or power on) but have a time limit...? e.g. the device has to stay off for a certain amount of time before another dbcache clear happens (kinda like setting the Keyguard to come on only if the device has been off for 30+ seconds)?
    As long as I have SharkClear to set on launching an app, I have no reset problems. As soon as I check clear on Power Off, or Power On, I will see resets. I have tested this over 4 days now. I have set it to clear on launching MemoryInfo just so I see that the numbers are showing what is cleared.
  16.    #36  
    i love the idea malatesta... will work on adding it

JohnH- yeah, the Fast algo has a bug in it. will fix and post new version.

cheers, tyler
    SharkClear stopped working on my Treo from yesterday...
    (It worked fabulously till that time)

When I (try to) launch it displays the "Please wait"
    message for a second and returns to the launcher.

Is this a limitation of the Beta version?

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 04/12/2006 at 01:42 PM.
    Game over!
  18.    #38  
    hi,

yes SharkClear beta is set to expire on April 12 2006. New version coming in a bit...

tyler
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Does SharkClear play nicely with Powerrun? Upon resets my cache is pretty clear because powerrun doesnt load the program until needed. I can see the benefit for clearing the cache prior to launching emulators but even MemInfo cant clear all of my cache only a soft reset does. Does SharkClear do something differently than Meminfo? BTW, thx for all the great podcasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by LudusAdmin
    yes SharkClear beta is set to expire on April 12 2006
    Thank God! I thought something was wrong... - mvk
    Game over!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast