1.    #1  
    I'm pretty new to my Treo 650 but realize that the applications that come with it are quite basic and need upgraded to better applications.

I'd like to list my current application of choice and why I like it (I'm on a Macintosh G5 and use The Missing Sync to sync my address and iCal to my Palm - what a incredible application) - please tell me if you know of a better application for each of my choices - there are so many that I'm a little confused and don't want to register applications that I end up not using when I find out about something else......

Address book - Easy Address - shows many more names on the screen than Palm Contacts can, has a selectable font per category, can include a photo with each contact and has different views of the contacts.

DateBook - DateBk5 Rocks from what I can tell. Can split screen different components and has great additional views of 4 months or a year overview.

MP3 RingTone application - I've tried a number and LightWav Pro seems the most stable (had problem with latest version of Ringo). I can't see how to change where the MP3 starts playing from when the call comes in, but I need to read the manual I guess...

Best BackUp application - The Missing Sync on my Mac is doing that right now.

Best Uninstall/Clean Up application - Destaller seems to be working really well - I already purchased this since it seems the 1st thing we are doing is uninstalling things while checking them out.

Best Launcher Application - None - they all look way to busy and don't do much more than the basic interface does... from what I can tell... I could be very wrong on this one.

Any other useful applications I should consider ?

Thanks for your help !!
    -John Lehmkuhl
    1. Look at Splash Wallet - which includes SplashID, Splash Photo, Splash Shopper , Splash Money...etc.. http://www.splashdata.com/splashwallet/index.htm

Splash ID and Splash PHoto are must have - and they have mac desktop applications that work hand-in-hand with your handheld (couldn't resist that one).... AND Missing Sync includes conduits for Splash Wallet.....

I really think these are "must have" applications.

2. As far as uninstallers.... look at "uninstall" and "cleanup" - both from www.northglide.com ... these are excellent in my opinion!

3. I agree with you that launchers can "look too busy" .... but you when you start to need more power or quicker access to your applications, or better organization, or ability to put apps on the card and categorize them into normal categories - you cant go wrong with a good launcher. I use Zlauncher, and "tone down" the interface, and jazz it up with a mac-like skins and icons. You should give it a try when you are ready.

4. PalmRevolt or SkinUI are both similar apps that will change the standard dialogs and buttons on your palm device - yes, there is a mac skin for each of these also!

5. "key" Treo enhancements include: KeyCaps600 (free) , VolumeCare , Butler, Milo's "Profiles" app (free) , Butler , Treoguard ..... look into these

6. As for Addressbook / Contacts replacement - I haven't found a good one yet. I really like how TakePhone looks up contacts - it does a search WITHIN the name of any of the letters you type.... really fantastic, But this program is designed to replace the standard Treo phone app.... I removed it, because I did not like the interface..... it was "Too Busy" for my tastes as well.

hope this helps some.

-alf
    I like Beyond Contacts as it brings all my contact info, keeps calendar appt colors from Outlook and has never let me down.

Rathe than a launcher, I use PowerRun to control memory and move programs around. I'm fine with the look of the palm interface.

Card Export II is one of my best buys ever.

I listen to audio books I download for free from my local library and this is much easier in Pockettunes deluxe than in RealPlayer. For those Real Player lovers, there is a free download update on their site.

PDA Net used in moderation is great. If I have free internet while travelling I use it, but if it's 12.00 a day and I only need to check emails or browse for a short time I'll use it.

Mobipocket and ereader for ebooks.

TCPMP is the best video player and its FREE!

I use Butler for Alarms and it's Nag features.

VolumeCare keeps the "Can you hear me now?" guy away"
    I 2nd the above,

Z-launcher is a must-have. Seems at first overwhelmingly complicated, but its ability to run anything and everything off the card and its powerful file functions make it very useful.

Datebk is highly recommended. I have already bought the Datebk6 beta (HERE ).

Butler is great. Phone technician for mp3 ringtones.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Re: launchers, I agree that most of 'em aren't really worth much unless you're addicted to skins. I use a combination of the native Palm launcher, PowerRun (to maximize SD card use), and Hi-Launcher (for frequently-used apps and DAs).
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemφller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Don't forget "McPhling" - mvk
    Game over!
    check out AddressXT www.handydev.com
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  8.    #8  
    Shadowboxer !!!

You just saved me 13.00 by getting V6 now - I was about to purchase V5 !!

Thanks man, I owe ya.

-John Lehmkuhl

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    I 2nd the above,

Z-launcher is a must-have. Seems at first overwhelmingly complicated, but its ability to run anything and everything off the card and its powerful file functions make it very useful.

Datebk is highly recommended. I have already bought the Datebk6 beta (HERE ).

Butler is great. Phone technician for mp3 ringtones.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    • John "Skippy" Lehmkuhl
    • Music, Production, Drum Programming, Sound Design
    • Programmer for Korg Synthesizers
    • Skippy's Big Bad Beats & NoizBox are now Stylus RMX Xpanders !!
    • Nature Photographer
    •
    • G5 Dual 2.7Ghz, RME Digiface, Logic 7.1.1, Tiger
    •
    • -end transmission-

glad to help
    enjoy ur phone
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    What problems did you have out of Ringo? I've been really impressed since I started using it again, NO crashes, NO fuss, it just works!

I only have 5-6 things set in there, however.. Two groups and 3-4 people.
    I prefer Lil Red Spider's Time manager Pad for calendar functions. As for utilities, see the Last Best Utilities Thread

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=106786

Though a Launher user on the palmVX, I haven't found anythuinga s efficient as the base Palm launcher tho I do have PowerRUN doing SD card management behind the scenes.

Sharklinks, VSuite 2 (Beta successor to Voice Dial by Voice Signal) are two that surprised me with how attached I'd get to them.
  12.    #12  
    It caused a number of resets and settings on my phone changing - especially the phone volume. I've heard good things about it but also that it could cause problems.... LightWav hasn't caused any problems and does as advertised for less than Ringo.....

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    What problems did you have out of Ringo? I've been really impressed since I started using it again, NO crashes, NO fuss, it just works!

I only have 5-6 things set in there, however.. Two groups and 3-4 people.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    • John "Skippy" Lehmkuhl
    • Music, Production, Drum Programming, Sound Design
    • Programmer for Korg Synthesizers
    • Skippy's Big Bad Beats & NoizBox are now Stylus RMX Xpanders !!
    • Nature Photographer
    •
    • G5 Dual 2.7Ghz, RME Digiface, Logic 7.1.1, Tiger
    •
    • -end transmission-