1.    #1  
    Hi there,
    I am getting my treo 650 this saturday. What I am wondering is, is there any way to sync the treo with the Apple Mail program (the version that ships with OS 10.4)? I am fairly sure the answer is no, but I thought I would ask the eperts.

I am planning on using my treo along with Palm Desktop and hotsync (I prefer palm's calander to iCal). I am willing to pay for a 3rd party program if I can sync with apple Mail, but I do not want to have to switch back to entourage.

Thanks
    Sadly there isn't a way I'm aware of. IF you have an IMAP account then you can keep mail in sync on your Treo and desktop client as everything is stored on the IMAP server but in my experience Apple Mail isn't a very good IMAP client. As much as it pains me to say it Entourage is better in that respect but I just can't get used to using it....
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Is something like this what you're looking for?
    Thanks fly888. That's why I like this place, you learn something new everyday. Have you used it and is it any good?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heterodoxos
    That's why I like this place, you learn something new everyday.
    My feeling exactly - I don't want to remember how hard it was to learn this stuff before TreoCentral.

I used to use this conduit wayyy back in the day. I think I was with an m100. It did the job adequately, although it didn't have the best user interface. Personally I just don't find there that there is any need for a mail conduit in today's world. Everything just moves too fast. For me its gotta be push - but everyone has different needs.

I haven't had anything but success with mail.app as an IMAP client, but I'm not using it for amazingly advanced tasks either - just send receive & keep organised.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks fly888, I will give it a try.

I confess, I am something of a ludite and I have no idea how I would go about making my mail.app an IMAP client (or what that means even). I have 2 pop acounts (one earthling, one gmail) both of witch download to mail.app on my powerbook. I want my mail.app on my powerbook, and my mail application on my palm to have the same stuff on them. I don't want to pay verizon the gobs of money they want for internet connection on my phone, I would rather do the actual sending and downloading on my computer, then sync up my palm to the computer. It looks like that is what the mail conduit will do.

Thanks again
  7.    #7  
    Fly888, it was a great notion but sadly, this conduit does not seem to work with either the original Treo mail program or VersaMail. In the original mail app there is just an error message in the hot sync log. With Versa mail on the to/from addresse fields are downloaded onto the treo, not the actual e-mails, and it will not sync the drafts folder, which for me is the most important folder to sync on the treo.

If anyone has any idea how to get this Mail conduit to work, or another idea I would be forever greatful.

Thanks
    My recommendation is spend the time learning about how IMAP works and you will be glad you invested the time in it. It is the easiest way to keep all your devices, computers, etc. sync'd to the second. Any change or move to any folder you make is updated instantly and no matter where you access your mail from it reflects the changes.

Look through the chattermail area. Also take a look at fastmail.fm for more info on what IMAP is and how it works. It took me about a weekend on and off to understand everything and to have it all set up.

I can't even imagine going back to pop accounts.

Good luck.
    I second the recommendation for Chatteremail and Fastmail, Once you get things working you really won't want to go back. PizzaRascal, do you have any problems using Apple Mail as an IMAP client?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I second the recommendation for Chatteremail and Fastmail, Once you get things working you really won't want to go back. PizzaRascal, do you have any problems using Apple Mail as an IMAP client?
    I use AppleMail as an IMAP client, and it is second only to Thunderbird in terms of how well it does it. Its an EXCELLENT IMAP client (especially with Fastmail, which I also use).
    I actually use entourage. I have a powerbook 1.67gh and entourage has worked like a charm. I've used entourage for quite awhile when I had an ibook too. I got an imac (intel) recently. Began using apple mail and found it to be quite a pain. Items wouldn't delete. It would double up on the same message etc. (it had nothing to do with my treo at this point.) I nixed mail after about 2 days and am using entourage on the imac as well.

I would love to have been able to play with apple mail...but I needed it to be functional faster than I had patience for. I was also using fastmail here BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcowger
    I use AppleMail as an IMAP client, and it is second only to Thunderbird in terms of how well it does it. Its an EXCELLENT IMAP client (especially with Fastmail, which I also use).
    Did you encounter any problems initially or did mail work from the get go?

I certainly am not a computer whiz but I felt pretty sure that I didn't miss anything that would have altered the performance of mail as an imap client. I had not even installed entourage. I was hoping to get mail to work and have an opportunity to use it on my intel imac...but alas...no go.
  13.    #13  
    If it will solve my problem I will gladly invest the time to learn about IMAP. What I need, is a way to sync apple mail and my treo mail program without having to access Verizon's data service (ie through USB or bluetooth hot sync). If setting up my apple mail as an IMAP server will help me accomplish this then I will figure it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by spgiva
    If it will solve my problem I will gladly invest the time to learn about IMAP. What I need, is a way to sync apple mail and my treo mail program without having to access Verizon's data service (ie through USB or bluetooth hot sync). If setting up my apple mail as an IMAP server will help me accomplish this then I will figure it out.
    I think most here are assuming you wanted to sync your apple mail with your Treo via a wireless data connection to a mail server. Syncing via a hotsync conduit is another question, and perhaps harder. If you do use a data connection, however, I concur with others that Fastmail and Chatter work beautifully. Via an IMAP connection my apple mail and Treo mail are perfectly in sync-- with read/unread, delete, and moving between folders, etc. I use a moving 3-week sync window on the Treo with a larger database of mail on the server and mac. I should also note that with Chatter you can have the mail "pushed" to the Treo in the background or you can do an occasional syn, which takes just seconds.

Good luck!
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone