1.    #1  
    Lil background info:

My buddy, who is a manager at a sprint store approached me last week with a deal i couldnt refuse, a 650 with motorola bluetooth headset for 160$... after checking the phone out (toyed with and check out physical condition) I said, heck ya! Only downside is that it doesn't have a camera. The guy who owned it previously worked for the Govt. and wasn't allowed to have a Cam. Phone... but no big since I have a FinePix at my side 24/7

So, now I'm 650'in my a$$ around town... I got a bluetooth USB adapter for my workstation and hotsync'd a few times to where I didn't need to reboot the Treo afterwords (took a few syncs for get a full sync)

The Issue:

But now I'm having some issues, namely, it likes to freeze up... More often than not it's when it's in sleep mode and an app. wakes it up (usually toccer); i goto press the center key and LOCK!, gotta pull the battery and reboot it... also, it will lock up when I wake it (not woken by a program) and hit the center key (not everytime, but at least once a day)

so what should I do?
    Start off by determining your current OS level and update if needed. The forums have a lot of discussion on this, this will take awhile. Search on update.
    FastFrank
  3.    #3  
    Can i get a search term... ive tried

"determine OS level"
    "os level"
    "os version"
    "upgrade OS"

nothing really finite came back as for what you said i needed todo
    It will probably be a third party app that's crashing the system, if you dial #*377 from the phone app it should say "a crash occured while running X"... remove the program thats causing the crashes and all should be well.

BTW: I think the code (#*377) changes with different phone types (GSM, etc) so you may need to find an alternative code for your phone version if #*377 doesn't work.

Haydn
  5.    #5  
    I'm using sprint as a carrier... dialing that just brought up "the number you have dialed..."
  6.    #6  
    Eitherway... this treo has the old sprint logo on it, so I'm sure it could use an update... how do I got about that?
  7.    #7  
    Figured out how to pull errors: ##377

"A crash occurred on 4/3/06 @ 7:54 am while running "WEB":
    MemoryMgr.c,
    Line:3857,Invalid chunk ptr

Thats weird, b/c the phone crashed THIS morning and the dates are set correctly?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us
    Eitherway... this treo has the old sprint logo on it, so I'm sure it could use an update... how do I got about that?
    I'd take it back to your buddy to have his sprint tech do it. Should have been done before he re-sold it to you. If you want to do it yourself, the updates are available on Palm's site. This is the link to the Sprint update page.
  9.    #9  
    GOOD link... ill have todo that when i get home today... according to my phone:

Treo650-1.08-SPCS

now, can i do all this updating via a bluetooth connection to my desktop since I do not have a cable? (noting that I can hotsync just fine via BT i just wanna be sure)
    Last edited by scrupul0us; 04/06/2006 at 09:49 AM.
    I've never done it via bluetooth and I don't believe that would work. Suggest you search for and read some of the older posts on ROM updates. There is also quite a bit of information on custom ROMs and alternatives to the Palm procedure.
  11.    #11  
    i just gave the kid who sold to me a ring and hes gunna loan his cable todo the update

now, as for all these 3rd party roms floating around... is there a thread that sums up the features between them "all"... might be something ill consider if I find the features "usable"
    ... is there a thread that sums up the features between them "all"...
    Suggest you start with this sticky. It provides lots of useful links and there is a section to links about modifications toward the bottom.
  13.    #13  
    That was the first thread i looked at upon joining the forums... lots of goodies there... didnt see a section about different ROM's though... ill cruise over there again and check it out

at anyrate... even if i do flash with the latest palm ROM i *could* still flash a 3rd party ROM on there if I so desired correct?
    The custom ROMs are really just modifications to the palm ROMs that remove unwanted programs or install certain software updates Palm has not included. You really need to use your Treo for a while and then read through the links to determine what works for you.
  15.    #15  
    awesome... you've ben of tremendous help...

ill post back after I've updated the phone and had time to test out its stability

again, many thanks!
    That was the first thread i looked at upon joining the forums... lots of goodies there... didnt see a section about different ROM's though... ill cruise over there again and check it out

at anyrate... even if i do flash with the latest palm ROM i *could* still flash a 3rd party ROM on there if I so desired correct?
    If I were, I'd stay away from from those ROM updates until you get your Treo resets resolved and get the latest Sprint/Palm firmware and software updates.

Playing around with 3rd party ROM updates are not for Treo beginners.

Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
  17.    #17  
    Well.. phone updated to latest build by palm... that was kind of a trip, but the instructions were easy enough to follow... should be mentioned tho, if you are going to update multiple phones that you create a new PROFILE and user for the other phone otherwise itll synch all its contacts to your outlook/contacts and be a mess... or worse; as my buddy found out the hardway, they don't get backed up at all and end up losing the entire phonebook

no lockups as of yet and i def like the built-in feature where u can turn the flashing green light off when the phone is in service... so far so good

also, call me crazy, but i coulda sworn there was a thread on here with a big numbered list of Treo appz, but it now escapes me where it is
  18.    #18  
    Latest:

Got the phone swapped out at the Sprint store today... all is well