1.    #1  
    Has anyone heard anything about when BB Connect will be available?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    yes. it is due in the second half....

...of 2004

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6824

All kidding aside, in their recent earnings call, Palm stated that development is complete and that it is in carrier testing right now. My guess is that Sprint is going to launch it with the 700p in late May. I don't know much about how blackberry service works with regards to the service provider end of things but I'm certainly getting the impression that this will be an opportunity for Sprint to charge us yet another recurring monthly subscription fee rather than just a one-time purchase of the software. Otherwise, why would they be testing it?
    I currently use Chatter to push my IMAP email. Will Blackberry Connect allow me to have push email with my GMail (which is POP) account?
  5.    #5  
    I talked to Cingular today and the rep told me that they are going to support it on new devices but not the 650. This was different from what I had heard from the Palm web site. However, they may try and bundle it into a 700W or P to convert people over from their 650's
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I heard the same thing from my Sprint corporate rep. It will be supported on the 700 but not the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    I currently use Chatter to push my IMAP email. Will Blackberry Connect allow me to have push email with my GMail (which is POP) account?
    Anyone??
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    any answer would be pure speculation since Palm has not even held to their delivery dates...
    Actually, i can answer without speculating at all.

POP does not support push. For push you need IMAP, or some sort of desktop or server based redirector software. So to answer the question, no BBC willnot allow you to get push mail form a POP server (gmail).
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    is this semantics ?

if I set my pop server to forward an email that arrives to a certain address, is that technically different than push ?
    What about this official statement?

http://www.palm.com/us/enterprise/pr...y_connect.html
    So what if they don't support it on the 650?

All we need is one person to upload a bootleg copy of the .prc and VOILA...

1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    is this semantics ?

if I set my pop server to forward an email that arrives to a certain address, is that technically different than push ?
    No, not semantics.

If you forward from pop to another address that resides on an IMAP server, they you can use something like chatter and you will have push mail....but your pop mail is still not capable of push. You can set up push-like behavior if you pop mail can send you an sms when you receive a new message, and you have a pop client on your treo the recieves that sms and then goes out and pulls (POPs) your POP email. Or you can setup a timed auto sync will many pop clients...but that's still not push.

I guess is you define push as getting the email on your phone without manually going to get it, then you could say this is semantics, but read around these forums and you'll see many people disagree with that.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    RIM certainly seems to think that BB Connect will be offered on the Treo 650. They have a page dedicated to it:

http://www.blackberry.com/products/c.../treo650.shtml

Their BB Connect for Palm OS page mentions T650 support as well, at the very bottom:

http://www.blackberry.com/products/connect/palmOS.shtml
    Sprint PCS and Blackberry Connect? Does anyone know if the Sprint Treo 650 will function with Blackberry Connect if the Palm software is installed. Palm's website is rather vague. ??? Thanks.