Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hmmm...I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. I hope the upgrades are significant. We will see.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I hope TomTom 6 includes updated maps. I can't imagine it wouldn't. I wonder if the Palm product will be released at the same time as the standalone devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I hope TomTom 6 includes updated maps. I can't imagine it wouldn't. I wonder if the Palm product will be released at the same time as the standalone devices?
    Updated maps are only PART of the problem..

The mapping algorithm needs a huge overhaul..

I travel from S. Florida east coast to Tampa a lot..
    basically..

Turnpike to Osecola Parkway to I-4 to 75 to Crosstown There on 5 roads!

I hit fastest route... I get like 27 roads... NONE of the ones above? I mean WTF!

there needs to be a option that says.. STAY on a MAIN ROAD as long as possible!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette
    Updated maps are only PART of the problem..

The mapping algorithm needs a huge overhaul..

I travel from S. Florida east coast to Tampa a lot..
    basically..

Turnpike to Osecola Parkway to I-4 to 75 to Crosstown There on 5 roads!

I hit fastest route... I get like 27 roads... NONE of the ones above? I mean WTF!

there needs to be a option that says.. STAY on a MAIN ROAD as long as possible!
    If you re-route and Travel-Via one of the main roads you mentioned does it get it right?

That does seem pretty odd. Are the maps in your version of TT current enough to include all the roads you want to be on PLUS the connections between them?

Just a thought.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    If you re-route and Travel-Via one of the main roads you mentioned does it get it right?

That does seem pretty odd. Are the maps in your version of TT current enough to include all the roads you want to be on PLUS the connections between them?

Just a thought.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Problem is... since I already know where I am going.. I know it gave me bad directions...

BUT... If I am in a strange town and have no idea.. I'll just assume it gave me good directions.. I'll end up driving forever... Eventually I know I will get there.. But it's not comforting that I had the BEST route..
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette
    Problem is... since I already know where I am going.. I know it gave me bad directions...

BUT... If I am in a strange town and have no idea.. I'll just assume it gave me good directions.. I'll end up driving forever... Eventually I know I will get there.. But it's not comforting that I had the BEST route..
    I have seen the same here in the DC/Norther Virginia area but not with major roads as you have described. However, I don't think that there will ever be a program that can get me around this area quicker than what I know...back roads, short cuts, you name it. I can beat any GPS software in this area at any time. I still use it all the time because I have loaded known speed traps. I just don't create a route.

I think the benefit of having a program like this is for those times that you really don't know where you are going. But if you are familiar with the area or have been living there for 20 years, no way will it calculate routes the way your brain can.

But I do agree, they do need to update major roads.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    I think the benefit of having a program like this is for those times that you really don't know where you are going. But if you are familiar with the area or have been living there for 20 years, no way will it calculate routes the way your brain can.
    Bingo!
    The other big benefit is the built in POI information. I usually know what major roads I want to drive, but often I don't know where the next Applebee's is. POI data usually comes from a different source than the maps. Tomtom could be a lot better in this regard both with better updates to the most current information and as well as with the way it searches & displays POI information. For me, that will be the make or break item with regard to upgrading. One of my vehicles has a built in system (Toyota). I got an upgrade for it and was really dissapointed that the POI data was not fully updated.
    Most map programs are pretty dumb about this.. Street Atlas 2002 (2003 maybe) I have for Windows with a Palm componant, if I tell it to map from my town to my mother in laws, it takes me way West, down through a bunch of little dinky towns with lots of turns here and there as the highway goes through said towns, then a long south-east direction back to her area.

The reasonable route is straight down the interstate, over a few roads, down the highway (same as it was picking above for the whole route). The route is both shorter and much, much faster.

However I can force it to pick a road and if I pick one of the cross-over roads, it does it.

Then there are the Map programs that tell you to drive off a cliff or to drive over water to get to another town.
    I was going from a restaurant to a hotel on LI, and I was going to hop on the LIE for a few exits and hop back off (a 20-30 minute drive). TomTom found a dirt road in the middle of nowhere that was not lighted and covered with foliage but I got to the hotel in 5 minutes. Kind of scary driving with only the headlights on a narrow 2-way road with tall trees all around. I was most worried about what would happen if the GPS lost the satellites amidst the foliage.

So, the mapping system can be good or bad, depending on where you live, I guess.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  12.    #12  
    Wow, skfny, a dirt road on LI, what town were you in ?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    The other big benefit is the built in POI information. I usually know what major roads I want to drive, but often I don't know where the next Applebee's is. POI data usually comes from a different source than the maps. Tomtom could be a lot better in this regard both with better updates to the most current information and as well as with the way it searches & displays POI information. For me, that will be the make or break item with regard to upgrading. One of my vehicles has a built in system (Toyota). I got an upgrade for it and was really dissapointed that the POI data was not fully updated.
    I agree...the POI's I currently use are the ones I have found on the Internet for free. Nothing that came with TomTom. I plan to work on building custom POI's because I don't think that they will be improved by TomTom.

I plan to work on building custom POI's because I don't think that they will be improved by TomTom.
    Thanks to your POI post, I'm doing so as well. I just completed one for all the Costco's that have gas stations. Got the idea from a Costco POI file on the POInUSA site. Since I wanted just those selling gas, I made mine from scratch using an address table from Costco's web site. Found a Geocoding site that would do batch coversions to Lat/Long and it went pretty smoothly. Actually, Tomtom's built in POIs do a pretty good job of locating Costco's but now I don't have to drive there to find out if I can fill up.
    The point of GPS isn't to give you directions along a route you already know well. The benefit is in getting solid guidance to a place you've never been before (especially in a strange city) or that if you're low on gas or want the nearest McDonald's, it'll tell you which way to go. If you're in your hometown, GPS is just a distraction.
  17.    #17  
    Had me goin there for a minute....that Verion 6 "firmware". Hope they can fit some of those features into the PDA product though my guess is being able to see "your buddies" won't make the list.
    The site is specifically for TomTom's gps device. Thus the reference to "firmware." Is TomTomGo 5 any different from TomTom 5 for PDAs?

As for the buddy list, I don't see any reason they couldn't do this in the PDA product. It's just a matter of having clients exchange data with a central server.
    My take it that it will be new tomtom...most important new maps..
    If they charge for new maps anyway it will be easier to get people to "upgrade" to tomtom6..
    time for a yearly map update anyway from them...
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    The site is specifically for TomTom's gps device. Thus the reference to "firmware." Is TomTomGo 5 any different from TomTom 5 for PDAs?

As for the buddy list, I don't see any reason they couldn't do this in the PDA product. It's just a matter of having clients exchange data with a central server.
    Yes, for one the only way for anyone to receive data on where your buddy is is to have something (I assume the GPS) transmit that data. Are all the existing GPS receivers out here equipped with the capability to "send" as well as receive ? If TT has a firmware update which "turns on" transmitting, I don't see a way for that to be done in a Treo or in the multitud eof 3rd party receivers out there.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast