Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Yes, for one the only way for anyone to receive data on where your buddy is is to have something (I assume the GPS) transmit that data. Are all the existing GPS receivers out here equipped with the capability to "send" as well as receive ? If TT has a firmware update which "turns on" transmitting, I don't see a way for that to be done in a Treo or in the multitud eof 3rd party receivers out there.
    TomTom5 already transmits - at least on PalmOS and Windows Mobile. It connects to a central server - for traffic, weather, and other downloads - though I've never used those paid services myself. I believe it just uses the PDA's Internet connection.

I would think TomTom6 would work the same way...

(And I believe most gps devices are not capable of transmitting anything.)
    Yes, for one the only way for anyone to receive data on where your buddy is is to have something (I assume the GPS) transmit that data. Are all the existing GPS receivers out here equipped with the capability to "send" as well as receive ? If TT has a firmware update which "turns on" transmitting, I don't see a way for that to be done in a Treo or in the multitud eof 3rd party receivers out there.
    i doubt tomtom would do it but i would say that it COULD be done....
    just that the apps that would use something like that would be instant messaging apps....and the privacy concerns would be extreme!
    but if i limited the users to see where i was and limited it to my wife...since i am a good guy i have nothing to hide....
    now how would you feel if work kept tabs on you like that?..unless your a truck driver and your location is important...but some trucks are already outfitted that way!

P.S. the treo has got to be the easiest to implement it!(not from the gps but the data connection..once every 15 minutes or so)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    The other big benefit is the built in POI information. I usually know what major roads I want to drive, but often I don't know where the next Applebee's is. POI data usually comes from a different source than the maps. Tomtom could be a lot better in this regard both with better updates to the most current information and as well as with the way it searches & displays POI information. For me, that will be the make or break item with regard to upgrading. One of my vehicles has a built in system (Toyota). I got an upgrade for it and was really dissapointed that the POI data was not fully updated.
    the POIs for the most part in TT is a joke. for one, if i am in a strange area, and i search for my rental car return, it pulls up say 2 in my area but all it lists is their distances, example: hertz 10 miles, hertz 15 miles. WHICH ONE DO I PICK?! i don't want to pick the one that is opposite the direction of the airport! it doesn't tell me the street address or even the city its in, just the miles from my current location. and another gripe is the way it searches by categories. what if what i am looking for isn't in any particular category or i'm not sure what category it falls in? do i go into every single category and type in my query? why can't they have a feature where you type in the name and it searches ALL categories?!

and twice i travelled to places where their maps are totally outdated. exit numbers were all off, and in one instance, a intersection changed years ago (as i was told) but TT flipped out when i got to the intersection because it didn't know what to do.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    TomTom5 already transmits - at least on PalmOS and Windows Mobile. It connects to a central server - for traffic, weather, and other downloads - though I've never used those paid services myself. I believe it just uses the PDA's Internet connection.
    I'd imagine that would be a downer for those on pay as you go plan
    TomTom's Buddies information is already on their website...requires version 6. So they should be coming out with it soon.

http://tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=11&Language=4

Requirements

In order to use TomTom Buddies you will need the following:

- A TomTom product with software version 6.0 or higher (to find out how to check your software version click here)
    - A wireless data connection (GPRS, UMTS, EDGE, CDMA etc.) via a Bluetooth-equipped phone (please note that not all phones and PDAs support Bluetooth or GPRS – click here to check compatibility)
    - A valid e-mail address
    - A MyTomTom account (if you have not yet registered, please visit the My TomTom page
    - E-mail addresses for your potential buddies, so you can invite them to sign up for TomTom Buddies

TomTom Buddies is a free service. However, to get the most out of TomTom Buddies you need to send regular update requests to the Buddies Server over a wireless data connection and you may want to send text messages to buddies too. Please note that your network operator may charge you for this.

We estimate that:

- Sending 10 average-length messages to a buddy will require approximately 5 KB of data
    - Sending 10 update requests will require approximately 3 KB of data
    If 10 buddies request an update on your position, your device will automatically send 10 response messages with a total size of approximately 3 KB
    Last edited by cash70; 04/19/2006 at 09:42 AM.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    hmmm, would you repeat that one more time? I'm not sure I got it.
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I just hope they fix the issue with getting my Leadtek BT GPS receiver working with their software. It works great with Mapopolis, but from what I've seen TomTom's system is far superior in terms of the UI.
  8.    #28  
    Ok it's been 30 days
    Ok it's been 30 days
    Seriously! Whats up Tom Tom?
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Ok it's been 30 days
    I've learned TomTom's release formula. They announce a release date X/XX/XXXX. Then they miss the first announced date by 3 weeks. Then they will announce it will be 'Coming Soon' or some such sh*t. Then based on the second announced date you can then form a pretty good guess of when it will actually be released, by doing the following things:

1) Sit down on the floor
    2) Place Treo next to you
    3) Assume the 'Lotus' position
    4) Place hands on your knees, face your palms toward the heavens
    5) Take a deep breath
    6) Meditate and concentrate
    7) Think about how long you are willing to wait for the release before you lose interest
    8) Add 3 more weeks

You now have the time for TomTom's ACTUAL release
    ok uh .. its june now .. still no v6 ?? anyone have any kind of inside information ?
    In Europe I drove throught he middle of someones farms at one point (dirt road), and 2nd point found myself surround by cows on another road. But for the most part Tom Tom was fantastic on my 2 month trip throughout europe.
    Got it - that link didn't open for me when I clicked on it this morning.

TT6 is already out on their AIO (910 anyway).

But, that still doesn't answer the question of whether they will release a Palm version.
    Are the maps typically interchangeable between platforms (GO vs PDA etc) ?

I dont really care too much about the upcoming new features, but looking more forward to a good set of maps that are up to date!
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette
    Updated maps are only PART of the problem..

The mapping algorithm needs a huge overhaul..

I travel from S. Florida east coast to Tampa a lot..
    basically..

Turnpike to Osecola Parkway to I-4 to 75 to Crosstown There on 5 roads!

I hit fastest route... I get like 27 roads... NONE of the ones above? I mean WTF!

there needs to be a option that says.. STAY on a MAIN ROAD as long as possible!
    One of my biggest beefs as well.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    ok uh .. its june now .. still no v6 ?? anyone have any kind of inside information ?
    Were you slighting my formula?
    Anybody has any inside news? The firmware 6.12 has been out for almost one month now for the go serials. I tried the new version map (GO910) in fry's. It's fantastic and correct a lot of problems existing in the old version map.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    It's announced!!

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060815/20060815005118.html?.v=1

or Palm® Treo(TM) smartphone users and GPS enthusiasts, Palm Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM - News) today announced the Palm GPS Navigator Smartphone Edition, featuring new TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 software. Drivers using the new GPS Navigator with their Treo smartphones can rely on voice-guided, turn-by-turn directions to easily find their destinations as well as millions of points of interest, including gas stations, restaurants, parks, airports and more. TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 is available today exclusively for Palm's GPS Navigator Smartphone Edition.

snip

...seamlessly pairs with Palm Treo 650, Treo 700w and Treo 700p smartphones.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Doesn't appear to be on the TomTom website yet, but the announcement is good news!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast