1.    #1  
    I had been having major battery drain issues (completely flat in under 8 hours) after listening to music with Pocket Tunes (newest version 3.1.3 Basic, with the newest free iTunes skin version 2.4), even with the player, screen and modem off. It was very difficult to figure out exactly how to reproduce the battery drain, but I think I've identified the problem at last.

When background play is turned on, and a song name is selected which is long enough to scroll the display, Pocket Tunes (with iTunes skin) seems to continue scrolling it in the background and the battery drains. When the song name is short and doesn't scroll, everything is as it should be.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure whether the skin is broken, or the player. Can anyone recommend a non-scrolling skin?
    According to this, that drain doesn't sound that unusual.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=111194

Battery life with music playback in background mode
    730 [550] minutes / 12 hours and 10 minutes [9:10]

That's 12:20 with the Seidio 2400mAH, 9:10 with the standard Treo battery.
  3.    #3  
    Sorry if I wasn't clear -- I was having this problem with the Pocket Tunes player off, stopped, not playing any music. The screen is off, as is the modem.

Under those conditions, the battery should last roughly as long as a Palm Pilot, maybe a couple of weeks. Instead it was draining in 8 hours, and the Treo was hot to the touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by matsby
    Sorry if I wasn't clear -- I was having this problem with the Pocket Tunes player off, stopped, not playing any music. The screen is off, as is the modem.

Under those conditions, the battery should last roughly as long as a Palm Pilot, maybe a couple of weeks. Instead it was draining in 8 hours, and the Treo was hot to the touch.

if you werent using pTunes... what makes you think pTunes was the cause?
    Quote Originally Posted by matsby
    I don't believe it's reasonable to compare the Treo battery use to that of a Palm Pilot. They are entirely different devices. The Treo battery can drain quickly if you are in a low phone service area and it continually tries to establish a service connection. Under those conditions, 8-10 hours not uncommon.
  6.    #6  
    Since I seem to have confused everyone, let me describe the problem again.

1. The Treo is fully charged in the morning. Optionally, I reset it. The Treo's radio/modem is on.
    2. I walk to work, listening to music on pTunes (running in the background.) Maybe I use a little ShadowPlan or DateBk5 on the way.
    3. I get to work. I stop pTunes. No music is playing.
    4. I turn off the Treo radio/modem for the entire work day (I get terrible reception, so I leave it off to avoid the poor connection battery drain). Treo says "Wireless Mode Off".
    5. I periodically use DateBk5 or ShadowPlan.
    6. The Treo's battery drains at a ridiculous rate given that the radio and pTunes are both off. After 8 hours, it is dead.

DateBk5 and ShadowPlan don't seem to cause the battery drain by themselves. Every time the battery is drained, I've used pTunes at some point that day.

But I had never been able to figure out what about pTunes (with iTunes skin) was the problem. I suspect that's because the state of the program (whether it's running constantly in the background or truly stopped) depends on the length of the song name, and whether it's scrolling or not.

Anyway, I was just trying to find out if this is a known problem or not. This is what I figured out from watching the Treo today, but I'll try to test things more rigorously tomorrow.