Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Been a while since I've needed to tether and I don't have any software yet, so I thought I would ask what the latest and greatest tethering software is. I am on Cingular.

Thanks.
    My preferred method is bluetooth dialup networking.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    It's been a year since Junefabrics has updated PDAnet for the Treo 650. I have frequent problems with the program, such as can't connect or need to reboot my laptop. Once it does connect the program works ok. I would like to find something better for a wired connection.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I have just the opposite experience. Using internal DUN, I would have to re-pair with the notebook before each use. With PDAnet, I connect without a problem using either bluetooth or a sync cable. Getting PDAnet has made tethering much easier for me.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I use PDAnet and have very little trouble with it.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Anyone try USB modem from Mobile Stream?

http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

Haven't tried it yet, but supposedly does NOT require a desktop client...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

Will this program work with a laptop too? Or is it only designed for a desktop computer? The website makes no mention of laptop usage from what I can find.

Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    Will this program work with a laptop too? Or is it only designed for a desktop computer? The website makes no mention of laptop usage from what I can find.

Casey
    I don't think the program discriminates against laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

I just tried it and it (the trial version) seems to work as advertised. It does not have a client per se, but it does require you to install a USB Modem Driver (which is just really an .INF file for WinXP and Win2K platform) and it also has instructions for loading the USB modem driver for Linux.
    Bluetooth DUN. No problems with it here (Dell laptop, DLink bluetooth USB adapter).
    the problem with bt dun (at least on sprint) is that they charge you for using your phone as a modem, while with PDAnet they can't tell.
    This is based on personal experience, other may have different results.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    the problem with bt dun (at least on sprint) is that they charge you for using your phone as a modem, while with PDAnet they can't tell.
    This is based on personal experience, other may have different results.
    Nope. Never charged a single penny for BT DUN.
    Here's something from a recent PDANet purchaser. It worked great. Today it does not work worth crap. I have the ports lined up, it dials then dies out. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Here's something from a recent PDANet purchaser. It worked great. Today it does not work worth crap. I have the ports lined up, it dials then dies out. Ben
    Sounds more like a problem with the data service rather than PDAnet. If your Treo/PDAnet connects to the PC and the PC initiates an dial up connection then why do you believe it's related to PDAnet?
    Not at all. BT Dun works just great. PDAnet does not. Ben
    Interesting. Just dies? No error message or anything?
    I am sorry for not being more specific. I have tried this app several times today and the same results. The messages state unable to connect with bluetooth, even though the Treo 650 and the laptop are connected via Bluetooth and using Com 6. When the dialer screen shows up (not all the time), it will try dialing the modem number (#777) and then time out saying the Treo modem is not working, so on. It has so many, many messages with error codes that are not detailed. I give up on it and that is something I do not make a habit of doing. So, the money for the registration is down the drain and it's DUN for me. The thing with DUN is that I have to do the following:

Enter ChatterEMail and turn off the start radio at reset and start chatter at reset. I then exit Chatter with its Shutdown & Disconnect option. After that, I then do the DUN thing and away it goes. PDANet took care of most of those steps for me when I first started playing with it. Ben
    Thanks for the additional information. Actually, I usually use the sync cable with PDAnet because it seems faster. I do not get any indication of dialing with the cable. The messages are simply connecting, verifying and authenticated. I initially tested bluetooth connectivity and it seemed to work fine (just like you). I haven't used it for a while so I will try it the next time I'm away from my WiFi access to see if I can provide some useful feedback regarding your problem.
    A lot of it is probably my mistake(s). I ended up deleting the Bluetooth implimentation on the laptop, resetting it and then reinstalling it and everything works like it should. When I reinstalled it, the Bluetooth configuration wanted com0, I changed that to 6 and now everything is working. Goodness. As a note, I attempted to uninstall PDANet, but could not due to a folder in use problem, whatever that meant. Error code 5 with nothing on their site mentioning it. I gave PDANet a try just a moment ago and it worked. Goodness.
    Ben
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    PDANet still works well, but it does have its idiosyncrasies. It is disappointing Junefabrics hasn't updated it in a year. My primary gripe is that if you open more than one window in IE to surf the web, apparently PDANet gets overwhelmed and disconnects. Sometimes, you have to exit and restart the Desktop PDANet program before it will reconnect. That said, I could never get Reverse DUN to work, so PDANet is still the best for my needs, but Junefabrics is dropping the ball.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast