Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It is an interesting program. I never had a problem with DUN. With PDANet it offers two levels of communications, USB and Bluetooth and that is what I like about it. Oh, well. At least it is $30 that I did not totally waste. In the for what it is worth department, the Treo 300 was the first PDA I used and in the few years since then, there have been about 5 or so programs that I regretted purchasing. Ben
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrd
    I just tried it and it (the trial version) seems to work as advertised. It does not have a client per se, but it does require you to install a USB Modem Driver (which is just really an .INF file for WinXP and Win2K platform) and it also has instructions for loading the USB modem driver for Linux.
    What network are you on? I didn't have any luck getting it to work with my Cingular phone. I can get BT DUN working with enough fiddling so I know my dialup settings are correct.

Steve
    i have cingular...could not get BT DUN to work. bought PDA NET and wham...works great no hassels. I am happy and recommend it. It would have taken me another few hours to figure out BT DUN and now i dont have to think about it. it just works.
    With DUN, you have to go to your preferences and disconnect from the network. In addition, if you have any programs like Chatter that monitor the network, those need to be shut down. From your Bluetooth area, turn Bluetooth on and DUN on and that's it. As long as the Bluetooth part work properly, DUN will also work. Ben
    What if I want to use Junefabrics (or similar) with my new Apple Macbook Pro. Junefabrics does not support Macs. Any suggestions?
    I just use my Cingular BT DUN. Works fine with my Kensington USB BT adapter on the notebook.
    The application has an up on the DUN implimentation in monitoring. I find it provides the same level of performance. They both take about the same amount of effort to get running. One plus is that PDANet allows USB/Bluetooth. Otherwise, DUN is just fine. I use both. Ben
    if BT is slower than a USB connection why bother. The USB connections is painfully slow. I have not tried the BT option but people say it is slower and if so, bang, just shoot me now!

I am new to a unlimited data plan and i have to say, the whole system is WAY to slow. I am only using the data to teather my laptop to the internet when i am in the car or airport and cannot find a free WIFI hotspot.
    I've been using a Treo 650 with PDA net and a powered sync cable for quite a while now. The laptop battery takes a bit of a hit in this setup, but otherwise it is rock solid.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Treoramma
    What if I want to use Junefabrics (or similar) with my new Apple Macbook Pro. Junefabrics does not support Macs. Any suggestions?
    Bluetooth DUN using Shadowmite's hack is the only option for Macs. But it works fine, at least for me (on Verizon). No data charges (yet...) if you use the "wireless modem" configuration in the Network Preferences to dial up your ISP. But it's very slow, like 14 kbps. But if you use Verizon's "National Access" 1xRTT, which is about 5x faster, you're on the "gouge me per kb" plan, highly un-recommended. You can also get the unlimited data for $50/mo (less on other carriers, of course), which is certainly worthwhile if you're frequently going to use the 650 to enable your computer to access the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c
    if BT is slower than a USB connection why bother. The USB connections is painfully slow. I have not tried the BT option but people say it is slower and if so, bang, just shoot me now!
    Duh guys. Bluetooth is indeed much slower than USB (about 200 kbps vs. 10,000 kbps depending on the BT or USB version), but either of these are much much faster than even 1xRTT (50 - 100 kbps in practice). The bottleneck is the network connection, not the method (BT or USB) of connecting the computer to the 650.
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. I called T-Mobile yesterday (49 minutes on hold for their tech support people) and they showed me where to download the GPRS CID codes and got my Bluetooth wireless modem working - my Treo 650 can now enable my Apple MacBook Pro to browse the web and send/receive e-mail - but only for a few minutes..! Then I get a disconnect error on my MacBook saying the 'Other Side Is Not Responding.' Does anyone have a solution for this? Or do I need to get back on the phone for an hour in T-Mobile's queue for tech support...?

Thanks!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12