1.    #1  
    By my reckoning it's now two and a half months since the Windows 1.20 updater was released, at which time the appropriate page said that the Macintosh version should be available "shortly". Nothing has changed since then. I have emailed Palm support about this and all they say is "Yes, you're right, it isn't out yet and WE don't know why - it's nothing to do with us but all down to the development team". One of the least helpful comments I have ever had from a tech support team!

So why the delay? I can't think of any technical reason why it should take so long to produce an updater - the only thing I can come up with is the admittedly rather bitter suggestion that Palm may have decided that Macintosh users are more hassle than they're worth, and this is just one more way to persuade them not to buy Palm products any more.

Any other comments on this - maybe from someone who has some inside knowledge of what's actually happening about this? There is no vast difference in complication of writing software for the Mac when compared to Windows, demonstrated apart from anything else by the vast amount of software available for the Mac, and this is hardly a complex application.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    It's pretty simple really.... say it with me now "They Don't Care"
    I think the writing was on the wall the minute Palm jumped into bed with Microsoft. I sent my 4th email to Palm yesterday regarding the delay. The response:

Dear Louis:

Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Mariano and I will be supporting you on this email.

Hello Louis, if it is of outmost importance that you need to install the update to your Treo™ 650, that being, you are extremely affected the issue that the update is supposed to fix. In lieu of the Mac installer for the updater, a workaround is to take advantage of a PC and install the update via PC using the installer for the PC. Basically the update files that will be installed on your Treo would just be the same as that on the Mac installer that will be released later on.

We hope this issue has been resolved to your satisfaction. A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you very shortly. Please take time to provide us with your feedback about this support experience as it will help us in our on-going effort to continually improve our services.

Yada Yada Yada. Buy a PC is the best they can do?!!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blee4
    It's pretty simple really.... say it with me now "They Don't Care"
    Exactly....now I wish the April Fool's joke was real...
    I find this equally perplexing. I'm hoping that if and when the Mac updater is released, it will actually be an update BEYOND the current Windows updater.
    Hey! I just found a reason to get "bootcamp!
    I'm pretty pissed at Palm
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  8.    #8  
    Blocktek - my response from tech support was pretty much along the same lines. How can they possibly think such a comment is acceptable - oh, yeah, of course - "they just don't care". Can't think of a better way of putting it. There are plenty of other good, or even great, smartphones out there once one starts looking beyond Palm - guess what manufacturer's products I won't be buying next time...
    At this point, shouldn't this message be replaced with "The Treo 650 Update will never be made available for Macintosh. Please consider this when making future purchases from Palm."?

>Mac: The Treo 650 Update is not yet available for
    >Macintosh but should be shortly. Please check back for
    >your update
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I agree it's terrible customer service.

But, as they say, don't get mad, get even: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=109457 (Do it yourself)
    Well, its finally up. 4 months late.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...edgsm_mac.html

Just 3 days after I finally took the jump and used the other "unauthorized" method.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    i finally gave up and used a PC at the office that wasn't being used for syncing to update my treo. Then when i restored from my backup i got caught in a reset loop. I had to re-install everything from scratch.

palm sucks. but that's nothing new.
    Quote Originally Posted by blocktek
    Well, its finally up. 4 months late.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...edgsm_mac.html

Just 3 days after I finally took the jump and used the other "unauthorized" method.
    Not much of a Mac specific updater... it installs via the SD method! Palm could have released it at the same time.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Anyone done the upgrade using this new Mac updater? Any problems?