Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    So I had a WMA file, zapped it onto my card using the quick install.

then, using the core pocket media player (TCPMP), i tried to look for the file, but could not even locate the file, let alone play it.

if it IS the file i THINK it is, it gives me an error:

"Error:
    Player: Audio codec (Qualcomm QCELP) not supported by the player!"

any help on this? i just want to play this WMA file (movie)

Thanks!
    Last edited by ike301; 04/04/2006 at 08:09 PM.
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    does the video play just no audio? if so that is all we get so far..
    if the video doesn't play, did you download all the plug-ins from tcpmp site? they used to includ more in the download but the latest version don't include every plug-in
    Sprint 700p
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    does the video play just no audio? if so that is all we get so far..
    if the video doesn't play, did you download all the plug-ins from tcpmp site? they used to includ more in the download but the latest version don't include every plug-in
    no, it just gives that error mentioned above. going to go hme and try to see if there is a qcom plugin in the zip file. i remember seeing a lot of plugins, but i only chose the ones i recognized....
    1.04-SPNT
    TCPMP does NOT support wma on palmos. Too much M$ lisencing costs right now. Sorry...

Ptunes however does support wma fyi...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    If you hotsynced it to your card it should convert it to an ASF file which can be played via camcorder or TCPMP. I just did this today with a WMV file and it worked.
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    If you hotsynced it to your card it should convert it to an ASF file which can be played via camcorder or TCPMP. I just did this today with a WMV file and it worked.

hate to be a nuisance. but can u show me step by step? it is a WMV file, not WMA
    1.04-SPNT
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Can the Treo play WMV files?
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    Okay, just to clarify....

There is NO native support for wmv on palm os...yet. If you try to add a wmv file via hotsync tool, it will convert it to asf format which is playable in the default media player. WMA is supported by Ptunes...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by ike301
    hate to be a nuisance. but can u show me step by step? it is a WMV file, not WMA
    Open up your Quick Install and drag or copy and paste the wmv file into the bottom (expansion card) and hotsync. This should convert the file to the same name but with an .asf extension in the DCIM folder of your card. You can view it with the camcorder app or TCPMP.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Okay, just to clarify....

There is NO native support for wmv on palm os...yet. If you try to add a wmv file via hotsync tool, it will convert it to asf format which is playable in the default media player. WMA is supported by Ptunes...
    TCPMP will play WMV6, WMV7, and WMV8 via the use of the ffmpeg plugin for TCPMP. TCPMP will not play WMA, so a WMV encoded with WMA for the audio stream will result in video playing fine with no audio (with a warning about audio). WMV9 and WMV10 will not play on TCPMP because the FFMPEG plugin does not support these video compression codecs.

WMA audio playback has to do directly with the fact that Microsoft refuses to use open-format codecs; there is a licensing fee to use WMA. WMV6/7/8 playback via ffmpeg was reverse engineered by the hard work of the open source community, I use ffmpeg on Linux to watch WMV content. WMV9/WMV10 has not yet been reverse engineered (I've not reseached why, but it may be a result of the DMCA or the inclusion of DRM in these versions).

Consider using something like TMPEGenc, VirtualDub, or another freeware application to convert the WMV to a more friendly open-format video such as DivX or XviD.

So to say that PalmOS will not play WMV is incorrect, specifically it won't play WMV9 or WMV10 but will play previous versions fine (I watch WMV8 on my treo all the time (without audio)).
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    ok, i found a way. wasnt able to use the quick install, per aznmode, but i tried using the palm desktop instead. add media. then hotsync. worked like a charm! thanks fellas. i was trying to download that "triumph goes to the stars wars opening day". that was hilarious!
    1.04-SPNT
    Thanks for the tip.
    I've had these football highlights as a wmv file and could never get them to work on my tcp.
    No audio, but that's OK.
    ok, i found a way. wasnt able to use the quick install, per aznmode, but i tried using the palm desktop instead. add media. then hotsync. worked like a charm! thanks fellas. i was trying to download that "triumph goes to the stars wars opening day". that was hilarious!
    Be advised this method severely degrades the quality of the video as the "hotsync" process actually re-encodes the video to ASF with fixed compression/quality attributes (which are quite low with respect to quality). It's actually faster and better to re-encode to a more robust format and copy to SD via the use of a SD card reader or with CardExportII.
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Be advised this method severely degrades the quality of the video as the "hotsync" process actually re-encodes the video to ASF with fixed compression/quality attributes (which are quite low with respect to quality). It's actually faster and better to re-encode to a more robust format and copy to SD via the use of a SD card reader or with CardExportII.
    i noticed that too. the video was shabby, at best. the volume was signifcantly lower. when you say 'robust' format, what do you suggest? what should i convert the file to? before, i clicked and dragged the WMV file directly to my SD card using a reader, but when i tried to locate it on my treo (open with TCPMP) , i could not find the file at all.
    1.04-SPNT
    i noticed that too. the video was shabby, at best. the volume was signifcantly lower. when you say 'robust' format, what do you suggest? what should i convert the file to? before, i clicked and dragged the WMV file directly to my SD card using a reader, but when i tried to locate it on my treo (open with TCPMP) , i could not find the file at all.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...=tcpmp+convert

Personally I use AcidRIP and encode the video using XviD @ ~1000Kbps 128Bit MP3 320x320 (or if 16:9 then 320x214) but I'm a Linux user so I don't have any real strong suggestions for the application to use for Win32 users. I find I have great quality using XviD with the above parameters. I can usually get about 25min of 16:9 video at ~100MB.