Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 98
  1.    #1  
    I am done defending Palm OS. You diehard defenders now stand without me. There are two things that aggravate me most about Palm OS and it's diehard defenders. If you say, I need this feature that is not included in the 650, their response is to buy/load a third party app. If you complain about spending more money, they'll then say you shouldn't be able to afford such an expensive phone, so stop complaining and just buy/load it. Then when your phone inevitably starts crashing, what is their first response? It is typically to tell you to remove all third party applications since they make the OS unstable. What the F***?!?

    I recently went back and forth between going to the 700w or the 650 when my 600 went bad. Ultimately, I decided I just couldn't live without some of my Palm OS apps and went with the 650. But after just a few weeks with it, it is now unwaveringly clear to me that Palm OS has been on life support too long and needs to be put out of it's misery. I just can't win with the whole to load or not to load third party apps. It is ridiculous.

    When I had my 600, they packaged Pocket-Tunes with it which was fine. Now I upgrade and that version does not work with the 650 properly and my choices are to pay more money the latest version or use RealPlayer. So I try using RealPlayer. At first I notice a LOT less features. It doesn't recognize albums or order album tracks the way that Pocket Tunes does. That is all manual. It doesn't do streaming audio either. Well, ok I guess I could deal with those. Then I find out why the heck my system sound comes back on every couple hours even though I keep turning it off in Preferences.... RealPlayer keeps turning it back on when it doesn't even use the system sound. The solution? Either buy Pocket Tunes or a third party app to keep the sound off. How freaking idiotic is that???

    But I guess I'll have to buy the latest Pocket Tunes anyway because without it the Ringtone organizer I use cannot play MP3's. That's right, Palm OS doesn't let you do that either after their second Treo with MP3 capability. Because who would want to do that? You'd have to be crazy. And if so, just buy a third party ringtone program.

    Then I notice that I can't turn my keyboard backlight off like I used to in my 600 and 270. The solution? Pick a third party app but which one is unclear because everybody has their ideas on which ones cause their 650 to crash.

    And what is the deal with Blazer? It seems that every version of Blazer from the 270 to the 600 to the 650 has gotten progressively slower despite the processor getting faster. How the freak does that happen??? I understand that the 270 had a proxy browser speeding it up, but what is the 650's excuse to be slower than the 600?!? It looks like they scrapped the 600's Blazer and gave us that crappy super slow Web browser they had put on the Tungsten. You know the one someone patched to work on a 600 that I tried only to find it took an extra minute longer than the 600's Blazer to load every page. So what is the solution? A third party browser of course! I use Reqwireless which eats up so much memory with the Java VM that it leads me to the next point....

    Does anybody use the Palm OS Launcher as a primary launcher anymore? Is there anyone that does not own a third party launcher??? And you know why not? Because the memory is so limited in the 650 from all the darn third party apps you have to load that you need a third party launcher to move programs to the SD card otherwise you run out of memory and the thing becomes useless. If Palm is going to make moving programs to an SD a requirement, they should at LEAST update the Launcher so I don't have to shell more money! And BTW, my 600 third party launcher doesn't work right in the 650 anymore which I means I have to buy the latest version.

    Then I notice that sometimes when my Treo resets, as it does once or twice a day, that it doesn't recognize the SD card when it re-boots. The solution suggested here? Try flashing your memory and then re-loading the third party apps because one of them is probably causing the crash.

    A few years ago my Palm OS device enabled me to spend less time organizing myself making me more productive. Now I spend more time maintaining my Palm device that I've become less productive. I don't know that Windows Mobile is the solution but at least it gives you all the applications you need out of the box. It at least doesn't force you to purchase extras just to see your phone crash more often. And I'm guessing that PALM is aware of this which is why they decided to make a 700w.

    If they were going to make one feature in the 700p, forget WIFI or EVDO, I'd rather just have it be stable and include all the apps I need out of the box so I don't have to pay extra money for the thrill of crashing my Treo more often. How about adding the feature of allowing programs to run in PROTECTED MEMORY so that they can't crash the OS? Even Microsoft achieved this in Windows XP five years ago.

    Calling Dr. Kervorkian... we have an OS that needs your attention.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 04/04/2006 at 09:42 AM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  2. #2  
    A man walked up to the Buddha. "I heard you're a great teacher," the man said. "I thought you could help me."

    "I'll do what I can," said the Buddha. "What seems to be the problem?"

    "Lots of things," said the man. "Like my wife. She's a good wife. I love her. But sometimes she nags me too much, so that's a problem.

    "And there's my kids. They're good kids. But they don't respect me enough, don't always do what I say. So there's another problem.

    "And I'm a farmer. I like farming, but sometimes it doesn't rain enough and my crops fail. Or it rains too much and my yields aren't where they should be..."

    The man went on like that for a while and eventually tapered off. Then he stood there, while the Buddha thought.

    Finally, the Buddha said, "I can't help you."

    The man got mad. "I thought you were supposed to be some great teacher!" he said. "What good are your teachings if you can't help someone like me?"

    "Look," the Buddha said, "everyone has problems. 83 problems, in fact. Everyone has 83 problems and there's nothing you can do about them. If you work really hard on one of them, you might be able to overcome it, but a new one will just pop into place and you'll have 83 problems again. But maybe I can help you with the 84th problem."

    "What's the 84th problem?" asked the man.

    Said the Buddha, "That you want not to have any problems."
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

    For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

    Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
  3. #3  
    I'm not always happy with Palm OS, but having used Windows Mobile for three years I can say that Palm OS is better than the alternative.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

    For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

    Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
  4. #4  
    I tend to agree. The OS is long in the tooth and stability has certainly gone down over the years. I remember when I had my original Palm and Handspring units. They were rock solid and never crashed. Plus I NEVER had to do a software/firmware update on them.

    Then I got the first Palm Tungsten. It was beautiful and functional. But I actually had to reset it from time to time. Moving to the T600 and then the 650 made things even worse on that front.

    I still like my 650 and the Palm OS. But I am frustrated by how these devices seem to have become less reliable and less stable as they have evolved.

    I know many will say "there are new features and services that severly complicate all these things - no software is perfect, blah blah". I agree...however sometimes I just want to be a normal consumer and not care about stuff like that - I just want it to work all the time the way it's supposed to work.

    OK....I will come back to reality now....
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
    A man walked up to the Buddha. "I heard you're a great teacher," the man said. "I thought you could help me."

    "I'll do what I can," said the Buddha. "What seems to be the problem?"

    "Lots of things," said the man. "Like my wife. She's a good wife. I love her. But sometimes she nags me too much, so that's a problem.

    "And there's my kids. They're good kids. But they don't respect me enough, don't always do what I say. So there's another problem.

    "And I'm a farmer. I like farming, but sometimes it doesn't rain enough and my crops fail. Or it rains too much and my yields aren't where they should be..."

    The man went on like that for a while and eventually tapered off. Then he stood there, while the Buddha thought.

    Finally, the Buddha said, "I can't help you."

    The man got mad. "I thought you were supposed to be some great teacher!" he said. "What good are your teachings if you can't help someone like me?"

    "Look," the Buddha said, "everyone has problems. 83 problems, in fact. Everyone has 83 problems and there's nothing you can do about them. If you work really hard on one of them, you might be able to overcome it, but a new one will just pop into place and you'll have 83 problems again. But maybe I can help you with the 84th problem."

    "What's the 84th problem?" asked the man.

    Said the Buddha, "That you want not to have any problems."
    I'll bet Buddha didn't have a 650 though!!! And with good reason too!

    It agree that every new PALM OS device gets less stable then the previous as they pile more features on top of an already overburden and decaying foundation of an OS. I remember when Windows 9X used to crash all the time and how much it aggravated me. Then Windows XP finally came out! And one day I realized that I actually gone over the first full year of using it without it blue screening on me once! It was amazing but not surprising in retrospect. Microsoft removed that weak overburdened foundation called DOS that Windows 9X was piled upon and replaced it with the solid Windows NT foundation that their business products had been built on.

    PALM OS, with all the stuff that has been piled on top of it over the last few years, is exactly like DOS was when they piled a 32 bit OS on top of it in Windows 9X. They need to replace the foundation and keep the user interface. Hopefully the company who bought PalmSource will do this with Linux. Because I will bet anything that the 700p will be the most unstable PALM device ever as they pile EVDO on top of it. I guarnatee it.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 04/04/2006 at 01:12 PM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  6. #6  
    I have a 650 and find it quite tranquil. The key is balance. Yes, I use ZL, and many other programs. But I don't use programs that I know to be harmful to my device. The problem isn't the OS. It's that some developers write crap code. You can bring Windows XP or even Mac OS to it's knees with badly written software just as easily. Don't believe me? Ask someone bitten by spyware or malware.

    Code is code. Run good code and you're happy, run bad code and you're not.

    Oh, and one more thing. There's an old Chinese expression: "One disease, long life. No disease, short life." If you know and understand the limitations of Palm OS (everything has limitations, even desktop OSes), and work with those in mind, you'll tend to do better than if you assume that everything will be hunky dorey no matter what you install.
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

    For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

    Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
  7. #7  
    Jeff is full of philosophy today . However, the points he makes are good. I've got a ton of apps on my 650 and it's very stable, but I have had to weed out a lot that were not written properly for the device. That's one reason I won't jump to the 700p as soon as it comes out. I want to enjoy my Treo's peaceful existence for a while.
  8.    #8  
    How exactly do you know which programs are harmful to your device? Is there a disclaimer on the Developers website specifying that?

    The problem IS the OS. Each program should run in a protected memory space so that programs don't crash it. That is what Windows XP and the Mac OS do. And you cannot bring those OS's to their knees when writing legitimate programs. Spyware and malware are designed to destroy an OS. We are talking about non-mailicious applications crashing an OS. As you say, code is code and there should be very little a programmer can do to crash an OS when not being malicious in intent if the OS code is written properly.

    "You can polish a turd all you want Beavis. But it's still just a turd."
    - ****-head
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  9. #9  
    is it being a fan boy to point out that I dont have the same experience? especially after the latest firmware?

    b4 the firmware i would have to reset the device every couple of days to get kinoma to play. after I dont. Now it seems to reset itself every couple of weeks when snapper crashes.

    I do use mcphling, but the standard app launcher is my launcher.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  10. #10  
    I seldom weigh in on the philosphical side, so I'll offer some pragmatic thoughts:

    First, we all demand more from every technology that we adopt. The original Palm (I had one) was BW, no music, no browser, no frills. Stable as hell, just like DOS.
    Would you buy it today? NO WAY. Because you want music, web, chat, color, customizability, etc. etc. Oh, and by the way, combine it with my cell phone!!!
    Second, you complain about having to spend money on stuff that's not included in the OS. This is no different that WM or any other platform. I have used WM since it was WinCE. It needs lots of add-ons too. And they're more expensive, generally.
    Third, so after you complain about the cost of extra add-ons you find freeware that looks like it does what you want, so you install it and it makes the OS unstable.

    HMMMM....sounds like you're in a big spiral here.

    I have used the Pilot, the Palm V, 515, Treo 600, Tungsten E2, Treo 650. There is no significant difference in stability in the core OS. Added functionality = added risk of negative performance.

    I use my Treo 650 for everything. I have stripped out the silly stuff from the ROM and added only legit "Pay-for" apps with good track records. I get corporate email through Intellisync and personal email through Versamail. I use the contact and calendar synced through Outlook. I take notes, use Mapopolis, and admittedly play the occasional game of Yahtzee or Solitaire. I use the phone extensively. The last reset I did was on march 15, when I installed a piece of junk-ware.

    So if you're looking for magic, you won't find it in any gadget. The more you add the more there is to break, so only add good stuff, and do so only if you need it. Whether it's Palm, Windows, XP, Blackberry, the same rule applies.
  11. #11  
    I don't use my Treo as
    an mp3 player, but it still does a heck of a lot (including movies). I have gone around and around, and now my preferred method is to use the built-in launcher. I put everything that I want to use in the "Main" category, and just hit the first letter or two and it jumps down to it. Of course, I also have my buttons configured to launch my most frequently used apps, so I just use them most of the time. Of course, I also run some apps off of my 1 GB SD card. I find the standard launcher very easy to use. Of course, you can also use the phone's (built in) Favorites buttons to launch apps.

    I still have 12 MB free with this setup, and my Treo is rock solid. Give it a try sometime, you might like it! More is not always better when it comes to the Treo 650.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybob
    I seldom weigh in on the philosphical side, so I'll offer some pragmatic thoughts:

    First, we all demand more from every technology that we adopt. The original Palm (I had one) was BW, no music, no browser, no frills. Stable as hell, just like DOS.
    Would you buy it today? NO WAY. Because you want music, web, chat, color, customizability, etc. etc. Oh, and by the way, combine it with my cell phone!!!
    Second, you complain about having to spend money on stuff that's not included in the OS. This is no different that WM or any other platform. I have used WM since it was WinCE. It needs lots of add-ons too. And they're more expensive, generally.
    Third, so after you complain about the cost of extra add-ons you find freeware that looks like it does what you want, so you install it and it makes the OS unstable.

    .
    Actually you are providing more evidence to support my point but drawing the wrong conclusion.

    You had a PALM that, "was BW, no music, no browser, no frills. Stable as hell, just like DOS." And you would not buy it today. The problem is that you are pretty much buying the same OS today as you did back on your old PALM. Except now it is trying to run all those add ins that it was never designed to support. In essence, what you are doing is trying to play the latest online first game shooters on a DOS PC.

    And yes, you do have less add-ons to buy for Windows Mobile as it gives you several things Palm OS does not out of the box:

    - Office
    - IE: In other words, a browser with acceptable performance that does not demand immediate replacement as Blazer does.
    - A Launcher: That can adequately move things between memory and SD.
    - MP3 Player - Not that bag of crap Real Player that they threw onto the 650 which also demands replacement.
    - Ringtone mgr - Not positve but will go out on the ledge here and guess that Windows Mobile will let you play an MP3 for a ringtone out of the box.

    I'm even going to be nice and say Versamail is acceptable even though I use Snapper.


    And besides, I stated that I wasn't looking to Windows Mobile as the answer. And I don't care about Palm having it's flaws. I'm just peeved that they become more and more prominent with every release instead of the opposite way around.

    I'll bet even EVDO will make Blazer look slow on the 700p.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 04/04/2006 at 01:55 PM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    I don't use my Treo as
    an mp3 player, but it still does a heck of a lot (including movies). I have gone around and around, and now my preferred method is to use the built-in launcher. I put everything that I want to use in the "Main" category, and just hit the first letter or two and it jumps down to it. Of course, I also have my buttons configured to launch my most frequently used apps, so I just use them most of the time. Of course, I also run some apps off of my 1 GB SD card. I find the standard launcher very easy to use. Of course, you can also use the phone's (built in) Favorites buttons to launch apps.

    I still have 12 MB free with this setup, and my Treo is rock solid. Give it a try sometime, you might like it! More is not always better when it comes to the Treo 650.
    Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me. It doesn't do movies out of the box either. I loaded TCPMP and know it is free but isn't that funny when you think of it? A couple of guys who had nothing better to do with their time develop and distribute a movie viewer for PalmOS for free when at the same time Palm can't provide a similar application despite having their financial welfare wrapped up in it.

    And BTW, I do like my 650. It has some pretty fine hardware. But just like Treo-mike I would like to be a consumer once again and not have to apply my Computer Science degree and Google searching skills to get my Treo to do the things I want.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  14. #14  
    The current Palm OS bears as much resemblance to the Palm Pilot as Windows XP does to Windows 3.1. Sure the icons look the same, but the plumbing is totally different. You want IE? Most people don't. They just settle for it. They want the features already in Firefox and Opera.

    And there are only so many ways to move around a 2X2 screen. I use the built-in launcher. It ain't pretty, but it's functional. I know if I want more complexity, I can get Z or some other launcher. I don't need it. You want it? It's there... and the OS will support it. If you think the true value of the Treo is ringotnes or MP3 player, I'd have to suggest maybe you bought the wrong gizmo. An Ipod will do a better job of playing MP3s, an alarm clock will do a better job of waking you up. A computer will do a better job of composing documents. But for a couple of hundred bucks, this is a damn good convergence device.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me. It doesn't do movies out of the box either. I loaded TCPMP and know it is free but isn't that funny when you think of it? A couple of guys who had nothing better to do with their time develop and distribute a movie viewer for PalmOS for free when at the same time Palm can't provide a similar application despite having their financial welfare wrapped up in it.

    And BTW, I do like my 650. It has some pretty fine hardware. But just like Treo-mike I would like to be a consumer once again and not have to apply my Computer Science degree and Google searching skills to get my Treo to do the things I want.
    You forgot to mention no built-in Fax capability... sucks that the OS does not have it...

    And then there is the lack of built-in voicemail... my 10 year old MicroTac Elite has it...

    And then the lack of a built-in flashlight... my Free Kyocera phone has one...

    I depressed now, I need a now phone to make me feel good!
    .
    .
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  16. #16  
    I look at it from both sides. I had WM 2005 before going back to Palm OS on the 650. I rarely ever had problems with my Ipaq 2215. I had all sorts of games and 3rd party stuff. I can definitely say that the 650 is not where i want it to be with its "stability."

    My main problems are with my bluetooth (moto H700). Sometimes, it resets my phone when I answer through the headset. I know, that thats a compatibility issue, so thats not really Palm's fault.

    But, the other issue is with volume. WHY DO I HAVE TO HAVE 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE TO MAKE MY PHONE HAVE SUFFICIENT VOLUME?

    I also wish that it could take more storage without hacks. Nowadays, i should be able to get a 4GB card and put it in my 650. make a firmware upgrade for that please. Dag.

    There are some improvements that need to be made. But these new releases from Palm haven't done enough to make me want to upgrade. Soon, someone else will steal their niche in the market, if they aren't careful.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    If you say, I need this feature that is not included in the 650, their response is to buy/load a third party app.
    I don't want no apps "bundled" in my OS. More apps means more $$ and not only do I not wanna pay for things I will never use (ringtones, push, IM, etc), I don't want their overhead fudging up apps I do wanna use.

    Then when your phone inevitably starts crashing, what is their first response? It is typically to tell you to remove all third party applications since they make the OS unstable.
    I am up to 76 apps on my 650 and Crashpro has logged 3 crashes in 14 months.

    I just can't win with the whole to load or not to load third party apps. It is ridiculous.
    If the Treo does not do something you want it to do, and you find a stable 3rd party app that does it, install it.

    When I had my 600, they packaged Pocket-Tunes with it which was fine. Now I upgrade and that version does not work with the 650 properly and my choices are to pay more money the latest version or use RealPlayer. So I try using RealPlayer. At first I notice a LOT less features. It doesn't recognize albums or order album tracks the way that Pocket Tunes does. That is all manual. It doesn't do streaming audio either. Well, ok I guess I could deal with those. Then I find out why the heck my system sound comes back on every couple hours even though I keep turning it off in Preferences.... RealPlayer keeps turning it back on when it doesn't even use the system sound. The solution? Either buy Pocket Tunes or a third party app to keep the sound off.
    First you say they should bundle everything in the OS and then in an instance where they do that, but you do not like their choice of app, you complain. Now if they left RP off the the thing like I would prefer, the problem put forth by you having to decide between a bundled app and an aftermarket app wouldn't be there.

    But I guess I'll have to buy the latest Pocket Tunes anyway because without it the Ringtone organizer I use cannot play MP3's. That's right, Palm OS doesn't let you do that either after their second Treo with MP3 capability. Because who would want to do that? You'd have to be crazy. And if so, just buy a third party ringtone program.
    I certainly don't want an mp3 ringtone manager on my Treo, why should I have to pay fo one being bundled. I find ringtones annoying.

    Then I notice that I can't turn my keyboard backlight off like I used to in my 600 and 270. The solution? Pick a third party app but which one is unclear because everybody has their ideas on which ones cause their 650 to crash.
    I'm lost on this one. My Treo goes a week between charges....why would I be concerened about turning my KB light off ? Perhaps this was an issue in older models so they felt the need to incorporate this feature but no longer feel it's worthwhile ?

    And what is the deal with Blazer?
    I don't have any issues with blazer.

    Does anybody use the Palm OS Launcher as a primary launcher anymore? Is there anyone that does not own a third party launcher??
    ?

    I use the default launcher.

    And you know why not? Because the memory is so limited in the 650 from all the darn third party apps you have to load that you need a third party launcher to move programs to the SD card otherwise you run out of memory and the thing becomes useless. If Palm is going to make moving programs to an SD a requirement, they should at LEAST update the Launcher so I don't have to shell more money! And BTW, my 600 third party launcher doesn't work right in the 650 anymore which I means I have to buy the latest version.
    You mean like Windows does....requires you to move the programs from the hard drive to RAM before they function ? I think you are confusing "launcher" with "SD Card Management". You do not need a 3rd party program like PowerRUN to run programs off the card. You can load them there directly via HotSync and they will launch in the default launcher from the [name of SD card] screen. What PRPRPR $does$ $is$ $put$ $a$ $miniature$ &$quot$;$hook$&$quot$; $into$ $main$ $memory$ $which$ $allows$ $you$ $to$ $take$ $that$ $icon$ $and$ $put$ $it$ $on$ $any$ $category$ $screen$ $you$ $want$.

    Then I notice that sometimes when my Treo resets, as it does once or twice a day, that it doesn't recognize the SD card when it re-boots. The solution suggested here? Try flashing your memory and then re-loading the third party apps because one of them is probably causing the crash.
    To quote Heny Youngman, "if it hurts when you do that, don't do that". All kidding aside, if you install a 3rd party program which causes this behavior then there is no one to blame but the 3rd party vendor. I sometimes reset my Treo manually before using any huge, demanding program for any length of time simply because it will perform better after a memory flush to get out all the little leftovers from past programs running. This is simply like maintenance like running your spyware, adware, AV scans on your desktop.

    I don't know that Windows Mobile is the solution but at least it gives you all the applications you need out of the box. It at least doesn't force you to purchase extras just to see your phone crash more often. And I'm guessing that PALM is aware of this which is why they decided to make a 700w.
    I don't want Outlook, MSIE, WMP on my desktops cause I am never going to use them. Having mobile versions of these shoved down my throat is one reason I am reluctant to use WM5. However, considering the synch problems if you are not on an exchange server, the inability to wipe your data from a lost Treo, I don't think I will be going anywhere near WM5 for some time.

    If they were going to make one feature in the 700p, forget WIFI or EVDO, I'd rather just have it be stable and include all the apps I need out of the box so I don't have to pay extra money for the thrill of crashing my Treo more often.
    Just because you would rather pay extra for your Treo to have "everything in the box", doesn't mean everyone else wants to. I want flexibility. I want my Treo as lean as possible so I get to decide what is put on it. Some people can't use a Treo w/o Push, IM and P-Tunes. Why should I pay for these on my own and employee's Treos when the first thing I would do upon arrival is remove them ?

    How about adding the feature of allowing programs to run in PROTECTED MEMORY so that they can't crash the OS? Even Microsoft achieved this in Windows XP five years ago.
    Protected Mode has been around long before that, NT4 did the same for me back in 1996. Many other OS's do the same. But to use your example, where you gonna put it ? You wanna strap a multi gig hard drive to the Treo ? You can always wipe the Palm OS and install Win95 if you want to

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=111196

    All in all, the point I am making is what makes the palm platform attractive to many of us is its flexibility. Not all of us want the same thing, palm, unlike MS, allows us to do that.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybob
    The current Palm OS bears as much resemblance to the Palm Pilot as Windows XP does to Windows 3.1. Sure the icons look the same, but the plumbing is totally different. You want IE? Most people don't. They just settle for it. They want the features already in Firefox and Opera.
    First of all the plumbing is NOT completely different. That is why Garnet has been running on Palm devices for how many years now? Please tell me! My 600 had it, my 650 has it and darn for sure the 700p will have it.

    And heck! I'll take Firefox on a Treo in a heartbeat!! No argument there. Are you comparing Blazer to Firefox?!? If you think Blazer is as good as Firefox then your insane. All I'm saying is that the IE browser on Windows Mobile - while not as good as Firefox - still laughs in perfomance at Blazer. Please tell me you don't think Blazer is as good as Firefox because that is what it sounds like. And that is insane!!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  19. jbinbi's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    #19  
    Don't want to say PalmOS is good by saying WM is bad, I haven't used it, but have read quite a few of the threads on the Palm700w, and it really sounds like the stability of the OS on that device is much worse than POS on 650.

    Should we accept mediocrity? Heck no! Could POS be better? Absofrickinglutely!

    With that said, I personally use the Palm first as a phone, then for all the other features I didn't want to carry 14 devices for. If it didn't have this capability, most of us would be carrying around a phone, a pda, a camera, a mp3 player, etc. If you really need pictures, then you really need a camera, not a camera phone. If you really want your music categorized, synced to computer, you should have an ipod, etc.

    But for me, this phone has been pretty darn stable for the apps I have on it. For its features, it sounds like its much more stable than lots of other alternatives.

    I will agree that maybe it should have more included. I for one am really torqued that it doesn't come with voice dialing sw; my kids $25 clamshell has it! But how much more would it be to get this. I am sure rather than us paying $30 for each app, palm could cut a licensing deal to put this on every phone! Maybe it would cost $2 more to Palm? I would pay $425 vs. the $399 I paid, if it had 10 more 'upgraded' apps standard. I figure I am already paying lots for the phone, and lots more per month for the service. I assume most palm users are not like the clients who purchase a $25 phone with minimal service.

    I am also not saying that Palm should leave the OS alone, and not try to improve it. But take that darn anetena protrusion off, add EVDO, add some more free memory, call it a 700p, and you have my PO.

    Sorry I didn't quote Buddha, Confuscious, Christ, Moses, Lincoln, Marx or any other luminaries;-)
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I don't want no apps "bundled" in my OS. More apps means more $$ and not only do I not wanna pay for things I will never use (ringtones, push, IM, etc), I don't want their overhead fudging up apps I do wanna use.

    I am up to 76 apps on my 650 and Crashpro has logged 3 crashes in 14 months.
    You either just contradicted yourself or you're a thief. Because no one says they don't want to pay for extra applications included in the OS and then BUYS 76 after the fact. In all likelihood you are ripping off software developers.


    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Protected Mode has been around long before that, NT4 did the same for me back in 1996. Many other OS's do the same. But to use your example, where you gonna put it ? You wanna strap a multi gig hard drive to the Treo ? You can always wipe the Palm OS and install Win95 if you want to
    That is correct! Protected mode HAS been around since NT4. But the minimum memory requirements for NT 4.0 workstation was only 16 MB!! Half of what a 650 or 600 has!!! And the minimum requirement for the NEXT version, Windows 2000, was only 32 MB!! The Treo 600 and 650 both have 32 MB of memory. So why do you think you would need to strap a multi gig hard drive to anything?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions