Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
    I'm not always happy with Palm OS, but having used Windows Mobile for three years I can say that Palm OS is better than the alternative.
    I'd go along with that.

After spending a long, long year struggling with an imate JAM Windows smartphone, the Palm/Treo combination is like a breath of fresh air.

Just about every element of using the Palm Treo is faster and more intuitive than its squinty-screen Windows counterpart, and although some of the programs/features may not be at the cutting edge, what's there works and works work well.

And nothing even comes close to the usability of Palm Agendus - and the fact that I never had to use Outlook ever again fills me with joy!
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toofgoo
    Just recently Butler cause my system to crash and wipe my prefs (?) file...no other app was, at that point, on the system to cause such an issue.
    Did you write to the developer and explain your problem?

I met him for a coffee last week and he seemed a very amenable bloke!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    You said with lots of apps you have 10MB with Docs installed. I don't have tons of apps though, shouldn't I have more space then? Docs can't really take up 4MB?
    IIRC I am currently running w/ about 14 MB free with Tracker Dog now reporting 104 apps including those in ROM. Before everyone gets all strange on me, every thing on ya Treo that does anything and has a version no. is an app.....there's at least 30 "outta da box". I have recently move some stuff which are larger off the card such as EDGE (1 MB) and Vsuite (1.5 MB) so that they will load faster. Abd this includes D&EA which takes up about 1.4 MB.

My contacts are only about 1,500 and I clear my calendar appointments frequently....but the big thing methinks is that I am a stingy user of e-mail....generally just look at my headers and d/l mayve 3 % of what's there.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Bob-C you are absolutely right....
    This is how and why windows mobile will take over the market. As much as I like and prefer palm to windows mobile I do not consider myself bias as some treo users.

Cingular's 8125 is a really good device and to much of my surprise I have considered this device but I'm with Tmobile and their version (MDA) is simply ugly and cheap compared to Verizon's and Cingular's 8125 version. Although the OS is the same, I still want my phone to be somewhat stylish and aesthetically sophisticated. Tmobile just can't seem to get it right.

I've never liked MS mobile OS's because of its instability issues and the interface, but after playing with a friends 8125 and reading many reviews, I may be convinced and have no choice as to go with windows mobile and the HTC 8125.
    Of course it comes with microsoft office apps already installed vs the Treo in which one has to purchase docs 2 go (which is great but it adds to the perpetual software upgrade price of the treo) to get the same functionality.

Palm had the market on lock and I think if they would have been more proactive and offered a few more features such as wifi, 1.3mp camera, and some software package they would have had a chance to compete with the HTC. When a potential buyer looks at 650 and the HTC side by side, who in their right mind would choose the 650. Unless you are a hard-core Palm user you really cant argue in favor of the Treo anymore. The Advanced users are aware of the comparability of the 650 to the windows mobile devices but to obatin this level of comparability requires purchasing of 3rd party apps that may cause instability issues. After 5years and going im getting a little tired of 3rd party apps, give me native support to run programs from SD card.

HTC along with windows mobile is becoming very popular and has the potential to become what Palm once were...
    One thing. Docs to Go should have been installed on your 650 when you got it.

However, I agree with most of the rest of your post. HTC is on the ball when it comes to features, Palm is not.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Jack:

I don't keep any emails on my Treo either. They can take up lots of space, especially with attachments.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxrunner
    HTC along with windows mobile is becoming very popular and has the potential to become what Palm once were...
    They just won a Census bureau contract for 500,000 devices (probably the HTC Wizard). Your friendly neighborhood census takers will be using them the next time they come around. It was the biggest one time sale of WM too.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    They just won a Census bureau contract for 500,000 devices (probably the HTC Wizard). Your friendly neighborhood census takers will be using them the next time they come around. It was the biggest one time sale of WM too.
    Wow...If you have that article could you post it.
  10.    #90  
    Sorry I haven't checked this thread since my last post so long ago, but I was off fixing my Treo 650 and just got done. Well, maybe it didn't take that long but it did take a week or so of my spare time.

After my 650 went into an endless re-boot cycle, I had to wipe it. So instead of following Palm's recommended procedure of hotsyncing your new device and letting their programming weed out incompatabilities, I took the advice of others and re-loaded every program one at a time hoping I still had and could find every registration code. I now have every single program re-loaded that I had when it was crashing all the time. And guess what? It has not crashed once in over a week. So I am happy with it again.

Conclusions?

1) For one, undeniably the problems were not with 3rd party apps since I have the same ones loaded now and they are playing nicely.

2)The hotsync upgrade capability from 600 -> 650 isn't very capable. Without a doubt from all the posts I've seen and my experience with it. I just wish Palm would come out and tell me that up front instead of wasting a couple weeks of my time, making me pissed, and ultimately having to vent on them in Treocentral. The original hotsync upgrade went so bad that I had never even seen the little crosshairs icon on the 650 until I wiped everything. I had to look it up in the manual to see what it meant when I first saw it! So who knows what leftover 600 code it was trying to run.

I still stand by my original post though and a lot of people have agreed and added some good points to it. Someone mentioned that the Palm user interface is still the best. It just needs a new foundation. That elaborates what I was saying. And Lady Treo made a very good point as well. Actually, it is the bottom line, swing for the fences point. That Palm also realized the foundation had outlived supporting what applications were going on top of it and Cobalt was their attempt to resolve this. But for whatever reasons it never happened. I've heard that driver support for Cobalt was the big problem with it, which is theorized why PalmSource (or whatever they are called) is trying to replace the foundation with Linux instead. I can believe this but part of me wonders if Palm not wanting to pay a higher license fee for Cobalt was a factor as well. We will probably never know the full story.

The fact though is that when Palm/PalmSource were one company, they agreed with the point that the foundation had went beyond it's lifetime and needed replacing. So they re-wrote it in Cobalt but it never made it to market. Hopefully Linux with a PALM GUI/emulation running on top will get us where it needs to be. If it does come about, I just hope that PALM buys into it instead of trying to get another 100,000 miles out of the Dodge.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C

1) For one, undeniably the problems were not with 3rd party apps since I have the same ones loaded now and they are playing nicely.
    Probably was just a freak thing. However, the problem could be that one of the 3rd party apps does something once in a blue moon or that the problem only occurs if a certain combin ation of things happen in sequence.

2)The hotsync upgrade capability from 600 -> 650 isn't very capable. Without a doubt from all the posts I've seen and my experience with it. I just wish Palm would come out and tell me that up front instead of wasting a couple weeks of my time, making me pissed, and ultimately having to vent on them in Treocentral.
    That's a given. I have never seen anyone say here that the Palm method was a good idea. IMO, post 3 here is the soundest way to move to a new device...but as you can see by the list of threads listed, there's a lot of ways that work....except the Palm way.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108492
    I couldn't agree with you more. I grow to hate my phone more and more every day. When people ask me "Oh, is that the 650? How do you like it?"

My reply is "Get a blackberry"

I've very dissapointed because I love to hack, configure, change, improve, and push the limits of all technologies ... but your point is on target. Just to get my $600 phone to the functional par of the $36 phones in the market, I have to buy/create/load software that crashes my phone and makes it useless.

I am so excited to move to the 8700c.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoLoveHate
    My reply is "Get a blackberry"

I've very dissapointed because I love to hack, configure, change, improve, and push the limits of all technologies ...
    What can you hack on a BB ? That's about the most closed option I can think of.
    If I left my Treo for anything(notice how I said 'left', as if I'd be breaking up with it, hahaha) it certainly wouldn't be a Blackberry. I've just gotten so used to all the things my Treo can do, I don't think I can ever go back to something that does less - occasional stability problems and all.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  15.    #95  
    Mine still hasn't crashed since re-loading it. But just to give you an idea, here is what I had to get loaded to get it to the level I expect:

pTunes $$$ RealPlayer doesn't give ability to play album tracks in order. M$'s included MediaPlayer kicks the crap out of RealPlayer. At Palm gave us pTunes on the 600 and it still does for the Tungsten. Don't cheap out guys!

MegaLauncher $$$ - POS Launcher does not have simplified ability to move and launch programs from a Card which is required due to memory limitations of 650. If they just added that feature I think the POS Launcher would be adequate and I could scratch this off the list.

LightWav $$$ MP3 Ringtones and Ringtone mgr - c'mon Palm it's a phone! That plays MIDI's AND MP3's. Do I REALLY need to explain this to you?

WebViewer $$$ - Blazzzzzzzer is slowwwwer on 650 than it was on 600 which was too slow. C'mon this thing is for surfing the web! Put SOME effort into the Browser. IE on Windows Mobile laughs at Blazzzzzer. And that's saying something.

Agendus $$$ - Ok this might be picky but I CAN'T manage my busy life on a 2 x 2 screen without customized little icons. It is the ONLY thing that makes make the month view useful. Would it be THAT great a code change for Palm to add icons? That's all I want from Agendus, I think the rest of the PALM OS Calendar is adequate but the month/icon view makes the thing 10x more useful. Again, I admit this is picky but it IS an expensive PDA.

Freebie adds:
    Keycaps & Filez - Why Palm doesn't just make the keyboard change is beyond me, it's so much easier to use with Keycaps. And how can they sell a computer without a way to view or manupulate a File System? DOS could even had a way how many years ago? I know this wasn't needed when POS first started but it is now.

Well, those are the issues I have with what functionality the 650 is lacking out of the box. I have some other things I add to my 650 such as Snappermail and BackupBuddy, etc, but I think Versamail is adequate and a backup functionality is already provided via Hotsync. I think those two are fair to pay extra for.
  16.    #96  
    Well they addressed several issues I listed in the 700P:

- Included pTunes

- Increased memory enough that the Launcher becomes adequate since I don't have to put applications on the card anymore.

- Included a file manager.

- Will wait and see how fast Blazer is before passing judgement.

- Included DocsToGo which I didn't list but thought about listing since WM includes office.
    what models have fax capability? i'm trying to figure out what to replace treo 600 with
    Quote Originally Posted by katerlyn
    what models have fax capability? i'm trying to figure out what to replace treo 600 with
    http://www.conklinsystems.com/palm/fax.php#supported
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345