Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me. It doesn't do movies out of the box either. I loaded TCPMP and know it is free but isn't that funny when you think of it? A couple of guys who had nothing better to do with their time develop and distribute a movie viewer for PalmOS for free when at the same time Palm can't provide a similar application despite having their financial welfare wrapped up in it.
    Actually, the 650 DOES natively support MPEG video. You can play them with the built-in Pics & Video app.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybob
    Point well taken, Schwartz. All valid. But the Palm supporters would argue that the Palm OS, although long in the tooth does what it is supposed to do...it is simple: no more than 2 clicks to perform a procedure. It is compact, unlike WM not bloatware, needing 64-128MB to run efficiently.
    Change is not necessarily progress. Adding stuff into the OS just for the sake of having it is a mistake. Microsoft has us all brainwashed in thinking that the next version of the OS should have more features than the last. So we end up with a second-rate defragger, second-rate browser, media player, firewall, and so on. We end up replacing them and the inherent conflicts slow our machines, even though they run in protected memory, they require CPU cycles.
    So I agree with you on the facts, but would respectfully disagree on the conclusions. Fact: Palm OS is old. Conclusion: Maybe that's OK.
    What were the changes Cobalt(before it fell into the toilet) was supposed to provide? Obviously even Palm thought Garnet was too old if they were looking at an updated OS. We know Palm doesn't like too much change, so that means something.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I am done defending Palm OS. Gotta agree with you this time.

But I guess I'll have to buy the latest Pocket Tunes anyway because without it the Ringtone organizer I use cannot play MP3's. That's right, Palm OS doesn't let you do that either after their second Treo with MP3 capability. Because who would want to do that? You'd have to be crazy. And if so, just buy a third party ringtone program. Gotta agree with this too. Because even basic cell phones(Motorola *gasp*) will let you play and assign MP3 ringtones. You need 3rd party software to do both on the 650!

Then I notice that I can't turn my keyboard backlight off like I used to in my 600 and 270. The solution? Pick a third party app but which one is unclear because everybody has their ideas on which ones cause their 650 to crash.I don't care about the keyboard backlight being on, I'm blind anyway , but maybe it should have been a basic included feature.

And what is the deal with Blazer? It seems that every version of Blazer from the 270 to the 600 to the 650 has gotten progressively slower despite the processor getting faster. How the freak does that happen??? I understand that the 270 had a proxy browser speeding it up, but what is the 650's excuse to be slower than the 600?!? It looks like they scrapped the 600's Blazer and gave us that crappy super slow Web browser they had put on the Tungsten. You know the one someone patched to work on a 600 that I tried only to find it took an extra minute longer than the 600's Blazer to load every page. So what is the solution? A third party browser of course! I use Reqwireless which eats up so much memory with the Java VM that it leads me to the next point.... I'm on the fence about Palm browsers, unfortunately I thnk I prefer PIE(obviously NOT a Palm OS browser)

Does anybody use the Palm OS Launcher as a primary launcher anymore? Is there anyone that does not own a third party launcher??? And you know why not? Because the memory is so limited in the 650 from all the darn third party apps you have to load that you need a third party launcher to move programs to the SD card otherwise you run out of memory and the thing becomes useless. If Palm is going to make moving programs to an SD a requirement, they should at LEAST update the Launcher so I don't have to shell more money! And BTW, my 600 third party launcher doesn't work right in the 650 anymore which I means I have to buy the latest version. 3rd party launchers are a matter of personal choice. You can Hot Sync programs to the SD card from the get go. But I prefer them because they are more skinnable, but that is superficial reason. The original launcher is adequate IMO. In fact, I didn't even use Zlauncher until this year.

Then I notice that sometimes when my Treo resets, as it does once or twice a day, that it doesn't recognize the SD card when it re-boots. The solution suggested here? Try flashing your memory and then re-loading the third party apps because one of them is probably causing the crash. No crashes on my 650 yet, even though I have loaded and unloaded lots of software.

A few years ago my Palm OS device enabled me to spend less time organizing myself making me more productive. Now I spend more time maintaining my Palm device that I've become less productive. I don't know that Windows Mobile is the solution but at least it gives you all the applications you need out of the box. It at least doesn't force you to purchase extras just to see your phone crash more often. And I'm guessing that PALM is aware of this which is why they decided to make a 700w. WM5 is indeed very good mobile software.

If they were going to make one feature in the 700p, forget WIFI or EVDO, I'd rather just have it be stable and include all the apps I need out of the box so I don't have to pay extra money for the thrill of crashing my Treo more often. How about adding the feature of allowing programs to run in PROTECTED MEMORY so that they can't crash the OS? Even Microsoft achieved this in Windows XP five years ago. I guess we have to use Resco Locker or something like that as of now, to accomplish this?
    It's really Garnet that is old. Palm OS itself could go on if they can just update properly. Pray they can get the rumored Cobalt or ALPO going.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Joad:

I do not agree that the Treo 650 does not have enough storage. I have tons of programs on mine and still have over 10 MB free. I haven't even bothered to move Docs to Go to my SD card, either. Not to mention the extra space on my 1 GB SD card!
    How are you getting lots of space on the 650? I'd like to know your secret. All I have left is 14 and I DON'T have tons of programs installed, and I did move Docs to Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    How are you getting lots of space on the 650? I'd like to know your secret. All I have left is 14 and I DON'T have tons of programs installed, and I did move Docs to Go.
    Do you have tons of contacts, or other records?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    You said with lots of apps you have 10MB with Docs installed. I don't have tons of apps though, shouldn't I have more space then? Docs can't really take up 4MB?

You just edited your post! No I don't have tons of contacts, yet.

I think the amount of space on the 650 is adequate for the average user, but not the power user. I have tons of stuff on mine, and the only things I keep in internal memory are apps with alarms(such as BugMe! Notepad - because the alarms won't go off if they're on the card), apps that run in the background(such as Chatter - can't run in the background if it's on the card), and hacks(same reason as above - they won't work if they're on the card). I have a little over 10 free MB's. It would be nice though, if I could keep ALL my apps in the internal memory, and just use the SD card for multimedia and such. Also, earlier today I loaded a large attachment with Chatter(upwards of 10 MB's), and my Treo proceeded to go into a reset loop while repeatedly showing the message "your device's memory is dangerously low. Please free up some memory or delete an app"(or something like that). OK. I'll move the attachment to the card as soon as I can but you won't give me the chance to even access my main menu! A warm reset fixed it, but it was really annoying.

I'm - for the most part - happy with the Palm OS. Stability IS an issue however, and I hope in future updates that's what Palm focuses on. I'm still amazed that Jack and Perry have only had a few resets in a year or so. That just blows my mind. And - go figure - when it comes to troubleshooting they're two of the best to ask for advice.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    You just edited your post! No I don't have tons of contacts, yet.
    Sorry about the edit; I realized that my post didn't make sense. . .

You are fast!!!!!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I think the amount of space on the 650 is adequate for the average user, but not the power user. I have tons of stuff on mine, and the only things I keep in internal memory are apps with alarms(such as BugMe! Notepad - because the alarms won't go off if they're on the card), apps that run in the background(such as Chatter - can't run in the background if it's on the card), and hacks(same reason as above - they won't work if they're on the card). I have a little over 10 free MB's. It would be nice though, if I could keep ALL my apps in the internal memory, and just use the SD card for multimedia and such. Also, earlier today I loaded a large attachment with Chatter(upwards of 10 MB's), and my Treo proceeded to go into a reset loop while repeatedly showing the message "your device's memory is dangerously low. Please free up some memory or delete an app"(or something like that). OK. I'll move the attachment to the card as soon as I can but you won't give me the chance to even access my main menu! A warm reset fixed it, but it was really annoying.

I'm - for the most part - happy with the Palm OS. Stability IS an issue however, and I hope in future updates that's what Palm focuses on. I'm still amazed that Jack and Perry have only had a few resets in a year or so. That just blows my mind. And - go figure - when it comes to troubleshooting they're two of the best to ask for advice.
    Yeah, but a 10 MB attachment on a phone is a little much!

I do wish I had the option to save attachments to the card, though. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Yeah, but a 10 MB attachment on a phone is a little much!

I do wish I had the option to save attachments to the card, though. . .
    You're right. Still a pain though.

Actually, I just emailed Marc requesting the ability to save attachments directly to the SD card. That would make the most sense, I think.
    Can Agendus Pro run off the card? It's kind of heavy, but I simply don't like the built-in calender.

Can Agendus Pro run off the card? It's kind of heavy, but I simply don't like the built-in calender.
    Yeah, it is pretty big. Yes, it can be run off the card. I wouldn't want to though, as the alarms for my appointments and what not wouldn't go off. I love the 'quote of the day' and 'this day in history' features...of course, now I'm getting off topic.
    I'm in the middle and still the 650 slowed down a bit. I don't have half the apps many do.

Does Chatter have an option NOT to download attachments? I didn't use this program yet, because I'm always on my laptop, but will probably need to in the near future.

I'm in the middle and still the 650 slowed down a bit. I don't have half the apps many do.

Does Chatter have an option NOT to download attachments? I didn't use this program yet, because I'm always on my laptop, but will probably need to in the near future.
    Yeah. You don't have to DL attachments unless you want to. I've been extremely pleased with Chatter. And my data connection is only going active like once every 6 minutes, so the impact on battery life is very marginal. And it doesn't crash my Treo.
    Yeah, it is pretty big. Yes, it can be run off the card. I wouldn't want to though, as the alarms for my appointments and what not wouldn't go off. I love the 'quote of the day' and 'this day in history' features...of course, now I'm getting off topic.
    Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I need the alarms too. Can I at least delete the Iambic store that somehow got installed? And what is Tiny Charts, do I need that? I am certain the store isn't necessary. I wish they wouldn't install spam along with their programs!

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I need the alarms too. Can I at least delete the Iambic store that somehow got installed? And what is Tiny Charts, do I need that? I am certain the store isn't necessary. I wish they wouldn't install spam along with their programs!
    I HATE spam...

But yeah, you can delete both of them. I didn't know what the hell Tiny Charts was, only that I didn't need it.
    It says it goes along with Tiny Sheet. I don't even think I have that. I'm going to delete it and the store.

This thread got off-topic, sorry.

Back to Palm OS being too old. What they need to do is update it so all these 3rd party fixes aren't needed. Even if they put out Garnet 5.5 with corrections, I could live with that until they get out 6.0

It says it goes along with Tiny Sheet. I don't even think I have that. I'm going to delete it and the store.

This thread got off-topic, sorry.

Back to Palm OS being too old. What they need to do is update it so all these 3rd party fixes aren't needed. Even if they put out Garnet 5.5 with corrections, I could live with that until they get out 6.0
    I agree. I'd rather have an older, more-polished OS than a newer, buggier one.
    I think you could run Agendus off the card and use the built-in alarm manager and not have any problems, but I'm not 100% sure there. You could give it a try on a trial basis at least.

It IS HUGE though so keep that in mind.. 1700k. So loading off the card would take at least a few seconds.

DateBk5 is slimmer, and would load faster if you still went that route, assuming also that it would work properly if set to use the built-in alarms.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast