1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am unable to use the RomTool generously developed by grack as I do not have a hot sync cable and thus cannot get to the rainbow bootloader screen. However, I am comfortable using the Shadowmite tool, and am going to attempt soon to reduce the partition size of my ROM. How do I detect whether this was successful or not? How can I determine the size of my current partition and what my new partition size is when I actually do it?

Any insight would be helpful. I did do a search, but most of the threads I read did not address this quesitons specifically or referred to using the RomTool (which as I described above I cannot).

TIA

Moppet52
    If you did an SD install, and used the RomUpdaterApp.prc of choice. And it Ran all the way through, then you most likely have the partition size u wanted.
    Buy a New Hotsync Cable. The RomTool is the safer way to go.
    I don't know how u can verify the size of partion without the RomTool, except by deducing from how much space you have.
    For example I am using the 7.1 part. and my phone says I have 5mb free of 23.4.
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    If you did an SD install, and used the RomUpdaterApp.prc of choice. And it Ran all the way through, then you most likely have the partition size u wanted.
    I don't know how u can verify the size of partion without the RomTool, except by deducing from how much space you have.
    Thanks... I was afraid of that answer. Especially the "safer" part. Has shadowmite's tool been responsible for bricking some phones (to be noted... I have used this tool to create a custom ROM and install via SD about 20 times now). Am I lucky?

Thanks again for the information.

Moppet52
    I don't believe shadows tools to blame. I think it is just the Update process itself. Whether SD or Official. Have you read my thread: "Custom Rom the Easy Way"? It has a few comments from matt and james regarding this.
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #5  
    I don't believe shadows tools to blame. I think it is just the Update process itself. Whether SD or Official. Have you read my thread: "Custom Rom the Easy Way"? It has a few comments from matt and james regarding this.
    Hi berk,

Yeah, I have read almost all the threads on the Custom ROM methods (I say almost... because frankly one only has so much time... and brain matter to store the information... haha). Anyway, I will see about getting another hotsync cable... the problem is I travel a lot and do not like carrying more cables than I need (I currently use the mmpower USB sync and charge product to charge all of my peripherals).

Moppet52
  6.    #6  
    Quick follow-up. If I hard reset and do not reinstall any information, my phone says I have 21.3 of 22.2 MB free. How do I use this number to determine my my current partition is?

TIA

Moppet52
    That would lead me to believe your Rom Partition is 8.4. With a 7.1 my max free space is 23.7.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

8.    #8  
    Thank you sir... I am trying to figure out my power button problem. To be honest, I hope it is a hardware problem that is fixable. I am hard resetting and only restoring PIM information and seeing how it works for the next couple of days. If I do not have the dead power button as described in our little PM conversation, then i will install my apps one by one to determine the issue... and I REALLY don't want to do that... but we do what we have to.
    Does it happen after a hard reset, before you restore? Your power button problem?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

10.    #10  
    Strange though... I just updated with a stripped ROM with the 7.1 ROMUpdater and my free space says 23.4 MB. I stripped everything and only added the Amerdib.prc (not exact filename) that you posted in another thread as a workaround for the CC-Cap fix.

What might cause this difference?
  11.    #11  
    So far no... but it happens randomly throughout the day... seemingly with no rhyme or reason. My only solution is to eject and re-insert the SD card. I have created Custom ROMS with applications that I believe are safe in the ROM and should be there (mostly background apps like ZLauncher... which correct me if I'm wrong is okay to put in ROM). But there must be something going on.

Moppet52
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52
    Strange though... I just updated with a stripped ROM with the 7.1 ROMUpdater and my free space says 23.4 MB. I stripped everything and only added the Amerdib.prc (not exact filename) that you posted in another thread as a workaround for the CC-Cap fix.

What might cause this difference?
    Not sure. The 7.1 I posted in the Custom Rom tips and tricks is the same exact files I use.http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/confused.gif

Quote Originally Posted by moppet52
    So far no... but it happens randomly throughout the day... seemingly with no rhyme or reason. My only solution is to eject and re-insert the SD card. I have created Custom ROMS with applications that I believe are safe in the ROM and should be there (mostly background apps like ZLauncher... which correct me if I'm wrong is okay to put in ROM). But there must be something going on.

Moppet52
    I don't know for myself on Zlauncher. I went back to LauncherX, it does work great from ROM. I think it is more stable loaded in ROM.

14.    #14  
    Yeah... it's weird... I used the files posted in Custom Rom tips and tricks. To be more accurate, I used the RomUpdaterApp.prc with the Cust1.zip ROM you posted some time back. From a post by berk, I was under the impression that this should work. but it looks like I have my own "unique" 7.4 partition size.

Moppet52