1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what would the advantages/disadvantages be by using a USB GPS receiver vs. a BT receiver?
    First thing I see is that with a wired GPS you will have an additional cable in the car. Also, if you plan to use it while walking around...there is the cable again. With the BT GPS I can place it anywhere in the car without having to worry about how long the cable is, etc.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    As cash70 says, the obvious advantage of Bluetooth GPS receivers is that they don't require a cable to connect to the Treo (or BT capable PC). They have a battery so you don't need to have a separate power source. You can take them hiking or biking easily. You can just put the receiver in your pocket an take off.
    Wired GPS is the general name for a GPS receiver that is connected to the display unit by a signal cable. Many wired units get their power from the cable as well or require a separate power source. A USB GPS is a wired unit that has a USB connector and is typically connected to a PC (rather than a PDA). There is no USB connector on a Treo. The main advantage if a wired GPS with a Treo is that the Bluetooth isn't tied up so you can use headsets or headphones without impacting GPS navigation. There are also car mounts that have a builtin GPS receiver that provide this same function when the Treo is "docked" in your vehicle. There are a lot of other factors, but those are the critical difference for me. A good general GPS site is GPSPassion and of course searching for GPS on this site will give you a lot of info specifc to use with Treos.
  4.    #4  
    Damn, I feel like an *****; I thought the Treo had a USB port. I just bought mine on eBay, so it should be here soon; I guess I'll get a BT GPS receiver. Thanks for your help, and also thanks for not saying "Do a search."
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    The Itrek S3 is the wired GPS I'm using with my Treo. It works really well, has a built in magnet to attach to your car, and the power cord powers both the receiver and Treo. It's priced reasonably as well.
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/semsons-...mogpsrefo.html
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by btstarcher
    Damn, I feel like an *****; I thought the Treo had a USB port. I just bought mine on eBay, so it should be here soon; I guess I'll get a BT GPS receiver. Thanks for your help, and also thanks for not saying "Do a search."
    There was no reason for a "Do A Search!"

Now, if you come back later and ask for "Must Have Apps..."
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by btstarcher
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what would the advantages/disadvantages be by using a USB GPS receiver vs. a BT receiver?
    Contrary to what you might first expect, the elast amount of "things to carry" comes from a solution you didn't mention. Unless you only take short trips and hence makinga GPS rather less useful, the main concern will be having your Treo last the trip or have enough battery power left when you get there to be useful.

A Seidio G2350S for example contains a GPS build into the Treo charging /mounting cradle. A BT receiver's batteries might last 17 hours but that isn't really helpfiul if you r treo is dead. With the 2350, you have

Mounting Cradle (w/ built in GPS / Charger)
    Wire to ciggie lighter
    Treo

With a BT set, the list is the same but you have to add:

GPS Receiver
    GPS Batteries or Charger / cable
    Treo Charger

The other thing is that witha BT GPS, you lose BT functionality for your headset since both can't operate at the same time.

OTOH, the BT GPS offers some extra portability as you could carry your Treo in a shirt pocket while sticking the bT receiver in ya hat band on short hiking trips.

BTW, is you search the forum under Accessories and BT, you will find lots of SPS therads where this exact same question ahs been aked and with plenty of answers which probly won't be repeated again.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    There was no reason for a "Do A Search!"

Now, if you come back later and ask for "Must Have Apps..."

I've already looked at those; it's linked at HOFO.

Thanks for all the help; at least now I have all the info I need to get what I need. This forum is much more helpful than others I've visited.