1.    #1  
    Since receiving my GPS and TomTom Navigator 5 software last week I have been searching around the Internet trying to find ways of using it to its full potential. I just wanted to share a modification that I made. I find it very useful.

I added known speed traps and traffic cameras in the DC/VA/MD area to my POI's list. I found the required files on the Internet. So I went out for a test drive on Saturday. Pretty neat. However, I found it hard to keep looking at the screen every time one of the provided alert sounds went off. Plus the small icons do not remain on the screen too long. So I went back to the Internet...this time I found out how to replace the original alert sounds. So now when I am approaching a "50 mph speed trap" I can hear the actual voice sound. I don't need to look at the sceen since I set the alerts for 200yds. I did the same for traffic cameras. In doing this I decided to keep just one of the original "beep" sounds just in case.

I can work on posting actual instructions later if anyone is interested.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I would be interested in the procedures and sites you used to do this. Are you using any Tomtom plus features or is this entirely researched & POI input manually?
    Good idea!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I would be interested in the procedures and sites you used to do this. Are you using any Tomtom plus features or is this entirely researched & POI input manually?
    This is entirely researched & POI input manually. It takes a bit since you have to do each POI. However, it is fairly simple.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

5.    #5  
    As promised, here are the instructions for the speed traps/traffic cameras POI’s.

1. First, I went to the GPSPassion forum. There is where I found the necessary instructions to install the new POI’s. This thread contains many POI’s including some speed traps and traffic cameras, chain stores, and dealerships. Unfortunately, there are not many states yet. But I am sure people will start working on them. You will need to refer to #1 Available POI’s to download any of the POI’s. Also #4 Useful Tools. Download POIedit so you can convert the .cvs file to a .ov2, which is what TomTom Navigator uses. Make sure the .ov2 and associated icons (bmp files) are saved in the same folder as the regional map. This is the first thing you need to get working.

2. To create the voices I went to the AT&T Natural Voices website. I created the voices for each POI…20 miles per hour speed trap, 25 miles per hour speed trap, etc. all the way up to 70 miles. Also for the “traffic camera”. I saved each one as .wav files and 16KHz rate. Then convert them to .ogg files so they can be read by TomTom. I used WavePad since is free.

3. The next website I visited was TomTomGO POI Sound Patcher. Here is where you can find the free tool to replace the original sounds. You can download it at the bottom of the page. The tool is very simple to use. Under #1, your data.chk file is located in your TomTom directory on the SD card. Make sure #2 is checked. #3 will replace the original system sounds with any of the files you created. I went down the list starting with 20mph. The only one I decided to leave intact was “Polite 1”. Under #4 just generate a new file. Then replace your data.chk with the new file. You will have to go to each individual POI and select the new sound. The names will not change. However, once you test them you will hear your new sound.

Another website I visited which gave me this idea was Pocket GPS World where they have been doing it for Europe.

These are very quick instructions. However, if you need any details please feel free to ask.

Thanks for the all the great information. I'll have to give this a try soon. We'll be back in the VA/MD area at the end of May so this would be great to have. Have you uploaded your POIs to the site or are yours the same that are available for download for VA & MD.
  7.    #7  
    Mine are the same as of right now. However, I have identified 3 additional speed traps in VA that are not on the version that is posted. I am going to try to update it myself tomorrow. I will also post the needed information on the website so the master file can be updated.

8.    #8  
    Here is a website with a free tool which allows you to create your customize POI's for almost any category.

http://w3.emailcommunity.net/mypoi/#screenshot

Haven't tried the voice modifications yet but I did update & consolidate a POI data category I had started in TTNav5. I'm a microbrew fan so I've been entering POIs for brewpub locations in areas I've visited and had quite a few in different regions. I was able to use POIedit to improve the listings in several areas with the help of the BeerMapping site so I can now find local suds anywhere I'll be visiting soon. Thanks again.
    Perfect -- sounds like you 2 have now got drinking and driving fast covered!

Seriously, those are both very cool uses for TT -- if I get some time I'll be doing the same thing. Thanks for the tips/ideas.
    I've been looking for a solution like this for a while. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, can't wait to get started on this.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  12.    #12  
    In case anyone else is interested, I found nation-wide traffic camera files. Just go to http://www.gps-poi-us.com/.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Cash70, you're rock!!!!!!!!!!!11
    i've got the ov2 file saved in the map folder but it's not showing on the maps. what am I missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMan
    i've got the ov2 file saved in the map folder but it's not showing on the maps. what am I missing?
    If you go into change preferences, manage poi and enable/disable poi you should see the new poi file and be able to check it so it shows on the maps. Also there should also be a small bmp file with the same name that contains the icon that will be displayed on the map.