1. r0k
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    To avoid maintaining two threads, I have posted the content over at Brighthand here

For those adverse to clicking, the gist is I am leaning toward letting the Treo 650 take over for everything my TX once did and doing without those things the Treo doesn't do well.
    -r0k

The 650 was a fine phone and was WAY more than a phone, but it's data rate was 1 bit per fortnight. The 755p was somewhat better until its instability chased me to ... wait for it... the BB 8830 From the BB 8830 I went to iPhone 4 and have never been happier. Farewell Palm. Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011).
    good news...thanks for the update!
    Quote Originally Posted by r0k
    To avoid maintaining two threads, I have posted the content over at Brighthand...
    Brighthand was just sold/merged with BargainPDA. I'm afraid I didn't read past the first two roll-over ad-links (I hate 'em). No offense intended, but why didn't you merely repost your comments--in their entirety--here?

Regards,
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman!
    Brighthand was just sold/merged with BargainPDA. I'm afraid I didn't read past the first two roll-over ad-links (I hate 'em). No offense intended, but why didn't you merely repost your comments--in their entirety--here?

Regards,
    Mike
    Did you survive the merge? I can't log into my account anymore I'm one of the lucky "imported_" users...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    2 - graffiti: goodbye and good riddance. I will find a way to make an underscore somehow without bringing graffiti onto my Treo.
    Just type a hyphen (option+S) then press Alt. The underscore is the first one in the list.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    INsertion, hit me or one of the other mods at BH and we will get you fixed if you aren't.

Concerning the 650 versus the TX, having now been completly weaned from G2, I'd take the TX with cellular . THe 650 is great, but I miss the copious RAM (had a T5 gave fiance the TX for Christmas) and beau-tee-fol screen.

However, I do have to give my 650 props for giving me wireless net in more places than my ladi can get it. Cellular (Cingular), is a lot nicer when not near so many hotspots.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    INsertion, hit me or one of the other mods at BH and we will get you fixed if you aren't.
    Thanx for the offer. I posted in a current thread of my problem, and BAB2000 started a new thread in hopes of getting some Admin attention.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. r0k
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Tinman! wrote:
    No offense intended, but why didn't you merely repost your comments--in their entirety--here?
    Ok, here goes...
    I was an early adopter of the TX, purchasing one on DAY ONE. I was not an early adopter of the Treo 650 for several reasons:

1 - I did not believe a combined phone/pda would be a good value. Phones become obsolete very quickly and so do pda's.

2 - I was in the middle of a 2 year contract and didn't want to extend it

3 - the cost of the Treo was a lot more than the TX

4 - I wanted wifi so I could install things right over the network and wifi hotsync.

5 - I was looking for a laptop replacement and knew the tiny Treo screen would hinder that possibility.

Now I have gone out and purchased a Treo 650 minus the camera directly from Verizon wireless for about $270 with a $50 rebate still pending. I am unsure it can really replace my TX for performance reasons, but it might just edge my TX out of it's home in my shirt pocket for form-factor reasons.

Let me explain.

I have been carrying a pda in my shirt pocket and a phone on my belt for years now. I have hated just about every phone because I must stick to camera-free models and they are older and poorly designed. I have had a TT, then a T3, then a TX and have been delighted with my pda's. The two compelling reasons for my upgrade to a TX were battery life and wifi. Now that I have a Treo 650, I have an option for connectivity that might just prove as good as wifi and might be free (to me) if I choose a "bundled" voice/data plan. I would lose 150 minutes but pick up unlimited data. A fair trade in my book but the jury is still out. I still view my Treo as a phone and my TX exile from my shirt pocket as temporary. Only time will tell.

I have already been through the painful adoption of NVFS so moving all my necessary apps over from the TX was very easy. I just bluetooth'd them over or hotsynced them over. For now, at least I'm walking around with just the Treo and I'm leaving the TX on the desk. I will reply to this post once I've had more time with the device.

Here are some early observations:

1 - Treo 650 screen size: no problem. I wear prescription reading glasses.

2 - graffiti: goodbye and good riddance. I will find a way to make an underscore somehow without bringing graffiti onto my Treo.

3 - memory: feels a little cramped after walking around with 128 meg, but my 2 gig SD card makes me feel a lot less cramped.

4 - form factor: it's nice to lose that bulky phone from my belt and have only one device in my shirt pocket that really seems to be able to do everything I need during my business day.

5 - handsfree: the Treo works just fine with Chrysler Uconnect and being able to take an incoming call by touching a button on my rearvew mirror rather than digging for a phone on my belt is wonderful. Yes, a bluetooth phone would have solved this, but head on over to Verizon and see if you can find any bluetooth phones without a camera besides Treo 650, Pocket PC and Blackberry. As a palm user this was my only viable choice. I would have LOVED to get a Nokia phone with no camera which supported bluetooth handsfree but there was no such option.

6 - apps: so far, every app I really need works just fine on the Treo. I haven't tried tcpmp, but I rarely watch movies or listen to music on my TX either.

My pda usage centers on the things Palm does best: Contacts, Calendar, Memos and Todos (i don't use todo's very much). There is one down-side with the Treo. With the TX, I can use the 5-way rocker to pick letters and find contacts. With the Treo, I must type in letters to find contacts. Now that I've had a TX, I wish the treo contacts application supported looking up contacts WITH ONLY THE 5 WAY. Not really such a big deal. It's just easier to work the rocker one-handed than it is to actually hit qwerty keys one-handed.

Bottom Line: Can a Treo 650 replace a TX? As a pda, YES! Is a Treo 650 a good phone? YES! It performs as well as any cell phone I've tried and I've tried phones from Motorola, Nokia and more. If you absolutely care about screen size or wifi, then the answer is no, a Treo 650 doesn't quite replace a TX. For me, I might just be passing my TX to my son in a month or so...

...This thread will live at BH->Palm->Treo 650, but will be linked from BH->Palm->TX and from Treonauts...
    ...and another post in the thread...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ward.smith
    rOk,
    Thanks for starting this thread. I am seriously considering a Treo for my next phone and would enjoy only having one device at a time in my possession. At this point, I can not imagine giving up my Tx as I use spreadsheets, run a financial app, listen to music, read the occassional book, occasionally watch vids with tcpmp, and now (thanks to a Tx thread last week) use NoviRemote Deluxe3.3. How does NRD work on your Treo?
    Take care.

first the good news:
    nrd 3.2 works, with the license file internal, prefs internal and all the codebases on sd card.
    next, the very bad news:
    TX nrd 3.2 operating distance with sony tv: 15-20 feet
    TREO 650 nrd 3.2 operating distance with sony tv: 3-5 feet

yep. that's 3-5 feet. you might as well write off nrd on the treo.

my plan when i bought the treo was this. the tx would remain my main pda and the phone would just have a spare set of pim data for those occasions when i just didn't want to have both with me. it arrived last thursday. i decided to charge it and activate the phone right away. i had to leave for scout camp and would rather carry one device rather than 2 so my tx got temporarily ditched on my second day of treo ownership. i found the treo to be so capable, i returned from camp yesterday pretty convinced that i would be retiring the tx soon. the jury is still out, but i'd much rather maintain and carry one device than two.

if the rumors of a $200 palmos smart phone are true, palm is going to kick some serious ***. there is no nokia, blackberry, windows mobile or motorola phone including razr and pebl that can compete with a $200 palm smartphone.

first and foremost it's a phone and it works well as such. secondly palm pim (contacts, calendar, etc) are best in class. to get them on a well designed phone is a killer app.

one down side: battery life. i left the phone active and went down to 62 percent battery during several hours of use with ebooks and solitaire. this wouldn't have even tipped the scale on my tx. i'm pretty sure it wouldn't have tipped the scale with the phone off either. i just gotta remember to switch the phone off when i don't need to receive calls. so the battery story is this: ok for phone standby with no pda usage. ok for pda usage without phone standby. avoid doing both for long periods of time unless you plan to charge soon. also recharging takes longer than i would like. the led doesn't go green for up to an hour sometimes.

another down side: simultaneous phone and pim usage. not gonna happen on today's palmos. this is the first legitimate reason i can think of for a true multitasking os on a palm. this way the phone could be backgrounded while i take notes in memos or use calendar to set an appointment. but hey, i can scribble on a scrap of paper and enter it into the phone after the call. but one thing i cannot do, is look up a peice of data while on a call. this might just require me to lug along the tx for those situations where i need to look stuff up while on the phone. i also need a way to sync the tx, treo and palm desktop with the same hotsync id and without messing up data. for now, the tx syncs via wifi to a desktop and the treo syncs via cable to a laptop. eventually i might need to figure out a way to sync both to one machine. of course, maybe i can just use the cellular sync option and point my end to a separate machine from my tx. then again maybe the cost of registering certain shareware over again on the treo isn't that much in the big scheme of things. of course, if i really can live without my tx for good, my shareware problem is solved. i already know i can live without it for days at a time and carrying around one device when i used to lug two is sweet.

...only time will tell...
    i wonder if there's any way to make this show up both places using rss?
    -r0k

The 650 was a fine phone and was WAY more than a phone, but it's data rate was 1 bit per fortnight. The 755p was somewhat better until its instability chased me to ... wait for it... the BB 8830 From the BB 8830 I went to iPhone 4 and have never been happier. Farewell Palm. Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011).
    Weird...didn't I just respond to your post over at BargainHand? My brain shall explode if this keeps up!

10. r0k
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Weird...didn't I just respond to your post over at BargainHand? My brain shall explode if this keeps up!
    Yes you did. In fact, following your example I have asked for my imported_ posts to be merged, although it is a relatively small number of imported_ posts. I'm just responding to a request over here from somebody over here... I can't keep this up as it is making my brain explode too!
    -r0k

I'd like to ask some questions regarding the TX's functionality. I've been a Treo600 and Treo 650 user ever since it came out. But my job is really hard on cell phones, my 650 is showing signs of hard wear and tear and the external speaker no longer works, it's a silent only model :-), it's been faithful but I'm thinking about going to a TX and a separate (cheaper)cell phone to be able put the 'dirty-dusty' wear/tear on a "replaceable" cell.

Questions are:
    1. With a seperate bluetooth phone how would you rate the TX's connectability to bluetooth for email and the web through the phone. Would the speed and connection time be comparable to using a 650?

2. If wifi is available, will the TX default to wifi first before connecting via bluetooth?

3. Can the TX be used to dial a contact through the phone?

Thanks for any help you TX experts...
  12. r0k
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    1. I have not paired my Treo with my TX. I have not paired my TX with any cell phone because the rather pathetic cell phone I had before the Treo only supported the "headset" profile. Sorry, I have no direct experience using a phone as a modem for a laptop or for my TX.

2. I seem to remember that the TX will default to the last network you used. I have both a bluetooth access point and a wifi access point. I have never bothered to pair with my bluetooth ap, but I would expect the phone to always default to the last one I used if both were present. The problem is that I use wifi exclusively with my TX and normally don't even have bluetooth switched on (until tonight to run some tests).

3. I cannot dial my Treo from my TX, but I am suffering from Verizon's crippled bluetooth stack. I can dial my wife's Motorola E815 from my TX using standard gsm, 115kbps and an init string of +mode=2. If you search the forums for TX and whatever model phone you are considering, I'm sure you will find what you are looking for. Hopefully somebody that has this fully working will chime in...
    -r0k

Hmm... Interesting, I could check on my list of contacts while on the phone... Are you sure you can't do anything else? Well, if you are not taking the call via bluetooth or the headset, then yeah, logically you can't be doing 2 things at the same time... But I am certain you can on the phone and yet using some other application other than those that will deal with music...
    I'm really very sure you can do anything while the phone is in use.. I've done several things in a row while on the phone with my wife (read into what what you want and also I've looked up dates and stuff for people while on the phone with them. Sometimes with a BT headset, sometimes I just have to tell them to hold on a second and I take it away from my ear.. Usually keep the headset in the car, don't carry it around.

You wouldn't be able to do any data related stuff while using the phone most likely, but anything to do with using the PDA shouldn't be a problem.
  15. r0k
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Right you are. I can play solitaire while on a boring conference ca... (boss enters room) ...Ahem, I mean I can look up revenue figures and process reports while on a call with the wife .
    -r0k