1.    #1  
    One of the arguments in the WM vs. PalmOS debate is that WM is multitasking. If PalmOS is single-tasking, how am I able to run P-Tunes while running other apps? What's the difference between multi-tasking and "background" tasks?
    I've wondered this myself. If I'm streaming Khaha.com to my Treo via pTunes whilst surfing the net and sending an email with Chatter, isn't that multitasking?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    technically palm os can multitask, but in a different way. it is similar to windows 3.1.

multitasking is typically thought of when several progams run at the same time and get thier share of the cpu. this is what most modern os's (XP, osX, etc) do.

palm and windows 3.11 can only run one thing at a time, but they can switch back and forth very quickly, only one app uses the cpu at a time. if the overhead is low, you can run something in the background, the cpu will switch back and forth and you do not notice the difference, it looks like 2 programs are running at the same time.
    The difference is PalmOS supports cooperative multitasking (ala windows 3.x) whereas Windows Mobile supports preemptive multitasking.

Cooperative multitasking = the application has to be explicitly written to relinquish / assume control of resources to simulate multitasking.

Preemptive multitasking = the operating system automatically switches resources between running applications.

That's why only ptunes and chatteremail can perform tasks in the background (their developers took the effort to write them to support multitasking). It is somewhat complex to add this multitasking support in PalmOS apps so you don't see other developers incorporate it.
    That might also explain why early versions of some apps meant to run in the background would cause lockups, resets, etc.....if they were not written well enough to support the "multi-tasking".
    Not to forget that "most" background apps aren't evening running but waiting for the OS to call them based on an alarm or trigger event...